I have both AT&T and gmail being pushed to i4S.
    AT&T only pushes new emails that come in.
    gmail pushes new as well, but for every few emails I delete, it's pushing old ones through. There are like 1500 unread that I haven't taken time to clear out of the gmail account, so every time I delete those on my device, a few more (old) ones gets pushed. I'm talking from 2009 now.

Other than take the time to go into that account online and wade through all that stuff, how can I get it to stop pushing old emails to my device? I can't locate anything yet.
    11-19-11 07:56 AM
    I think i understand what your saying. Unfortunately IDT that you can stop it from doing that, from what i've seen using my iPhone, it gives you the option to have "show" 50, 100,200,500, or 1,000 recent msgs for a setting. (under settings/mail/show)

So my thoughts on this are, if you have say 500 msgs STILL sitting in your in-box, ever few you delete, it will put back those 'few' according to your 'show recent msg' settings, if its at 50, 100 etc. to 'meet' the setting you have this on, 50, 100 etc.

hope this makes sense to you i'm sure if there is a way to change it someone will chime in i'd like to know as well if there is a way.

edit: btw periwinkle, i forgot to mention, i have AOL & yahoo on mine
    Last edited by iPinkk; 11-19-11 at 08:26 AM.
    11-19-11 08:10 AM
    Yes, that's what I'm saying iPinkk.
    I don't understand why only gmail older get pushed, though.
    AT&T is basically emails from setup (launch day) to present incoming. Nothing old (and there are a lot of old unread there as well, lot 'o junk).

I have it set to show 50 most recent.
    I do see a difference. For gmail there is a setting "Archive Messages", which is On.
    AT&T accounts have no Archive Messages option.
    I turned off Archive for gmail accounts and that didn't stop it. If I delete 10 from gmail, then those are replaced by 10 old emails from 2 years ago.
    11-19-11 10:20 AM
    Yes, that's what I'm saying iPinkk.
    I don't understand why only gmail older get pushed, though.
    AT&T is basically emails from setup (launch day) to present incoming. Nothing old (and there are a lot of old unread there as well, lot 'o junk).

I have it set to show 50 most recent.
    I do see a difference. For gmail there is a setting "Archive Messages", which is On.
    AT&T accounts have no Archive Messages option.
    I turned off Archive for gmail accounts and that didn't stop it. If I delete 10 from gmail, then those are replaced by 10 old emails from 2 years ago.
    Hmmmm....the only other thing I could think of is, when it replaces this 10 with 10 older ones is that they were unread msgs and that's why it's throwing them back to your iPhone (?). Idk. But if you've turned the archive feature off, then I really don't know. I've never had a gmail acct set up so I'm unfamiliar with this sorry.

I can say with my aol and yahoo, that it's how it behaves, when I delete say 3 emails off my iPhone, if I still have 3 older ones unread it'll throw them in it just so the count stays at my 50 I have set.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-11 10:55 AM
    Delete the gmail account and redo it.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    11-19-11 11:12 AM
    I can say with my aol and yahoo, that it's how it behaves, when I delete say 3 emails off my iPhone, if I still have 3 older ones unread it'll throw them in it just so the count stays at my 50 I have set.
    oh man, that means I have to go through all those email boxes and clean up the junk, delete, mark read, whatever. I hate that job. Which is why they go back two years...
    11-19-11 11:13 AM
    oh man, that means I have to go through all those email boxes and clean up the junk, delete, mark read, whatever. I hate that job. Which is why they go back two years...
    Lmao, why do you think they keep creepin on me too
    11-19-11 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD