Protests against iPhone factory conditions planned Thursday for Apple Stores — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

Interesting day for iPhone lovers!
    Last edited by graxyq; 02-08-12 at 09:25 PM.
    02-08-12 09:20 PM
    On the same page is another link to a broadcast from a journalist who actually went to China and tried to talk to people at Foxconn it was kind of interesting and rather eye opening.

Mr. Daisey and the Apple Factory | This American Life
    02-08-12 09:47 PM
    Look at the label on most things you buy, "Made in China". Almost everything made in China is from a sweat shop, and I say almost but I think it would be safe to say all... China IS a sweat shop. Go look in your closet and work shops etc.. Then look in the mirror. Most manufacturers are guilty of this practice, it's sad but true. Did I mention Walmart, Target,Best Buy etc etc... Apple gets the ink because their the big bad kid on the block..

Interesting day for naive people...
    Last edited by skier1960; 02-08-12 at 10:20 PM.
    RNCracker and NursingNinja like this.
    02-08-12 10:16 PM
    This is just the beginning of a chain reaction of events that will occur to Apple IMHO...Of which will pose to intensify quite negatively over the next year. I'll refrain from going there. Apple's business model will definitely come into the light more and more and reveal a different side of Apple then most are aware of.
    02-08-12 10:16 PM
    This is just the beginning of a chain reaction of events that will occur to Apple IMHO...Of which will pose to intensify quite negatively over the next year. I'll refrain from going there. Apple's business model will definitely come into the light more and more and reveal a different side of Apple then most are aware of.
    This China thing is not an Apple issue. It's worldwide economic issue. One that took decades to build and one that companies like Apple are actually helping.

This article by PC Magazine best describes the situation:

Apple's reasons for doing so aren't what you might think at first: Foxconn employees aren't just cheaper labor. Rather, Apple's initial decision to move manufacturing to Asia came as a result of foreign companies' tremendous ability to scale and their dominance of the supply chain.

"[Foxconn] could hire 3,000 people overnight," said Jennifer Rigoni, Apple's former worldwide supply demand manager, in an interview with the Times. "What U.S. plant can find 3,000 people overnight and convince them to live in dorms?"

According to the article, Apple initially estimated that it would take up to nine months in the U.S. for the company to find 8,700 industrial engineers to supervise the more than 200,000 assembly-line workers involved in manufacturing iPhones. Factories in China generated this workforce in 15 days.

"The entire supply chain is in China now," said an undisclosed former Apple executive in an interview with the Times. "You need a thousand rubber gaskets? That's the factory next door. You need a million screws? That factory is a block away. You need that screw made a little bit different? It will take three hours."
    NursingNinja likes this.
    02-08-12 11:15 PM
    Good point. We've seen this kind of thing already.
    02-09-12 12:54 AM
    Why the would I wanna live in a dorm?I bet 1/2 their"pay" goes for rent.
    02-09-12 01:03 AM
    Wow. Wonder how this growing story will be covered in the financial and tech media that Crackberry readers so frequently see with articles about RIM.
    02-09-12 01:06 AM
    Yeah, I signed a petition on this 2 weeks ago.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    BB10FTW likes this.
    02-09-12 01:23 AM
    Look at the label on most things you buy, "Made in China". Almost everything made in China is from a sweat shop, and I say almost but I think it would be safe to say all... China IS a sweat shop. Go look in your closet and work shops etc.. Then look in the mirror. Most manufacturers are guilty of this practice, it's sad but true. Did I mention Walmart, Target,Best Buy etc etc... Apple gets the ink because their the big bad kid on the block..

Interesting day for naive people...
    This is a mobile phone site, hence the related link to iphone sweat shop factories. I'm sure on cardiganenthusiast.com they too have "stop the Chinese sweat shop" days....but no one brings up iphones.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 02-09-12 at 04:16 AM.
    02-09-12 04:12 AM
    This is a mobile phone site, hence the related link to iphone sweat shop factories. I'm sure on cardiganenthusiast.com they too have "stop the Chinese sweat shop" days....but no one brings up iphones.
    Im not a fan of Chinese imports, it's just an ugly fact of life in all industries. Your point is a very good one.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    02-09-12 05:04 AM
    Yeah, I signed a petition on this 2 weeks ago.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    Excellent. Did you dump your blackberry also? The RIM supply chain is rooted in china, but I'm sure you know that? RIM also contribute to 7 million death/murders in the Congo by their continued use of conflict mineral, again, I'm sure you know that. You wouldn't just blindly sign a petition without researching the matter I'm sure. I'm glad you're a man of principal.

RIMs supply chain is deeply embedded in china. Everything in the article (and the Bloomberg article it links to) is verifiable.

RIM publish no corporate responsibility report, no supply chain responsibility guidelines, they don't audit their supply chain or have a human rights code of conduct. Only Apple does.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreyc...ur-blackberry/

And of course all your accessories.

Eagerly awaiting your announcement that you're becoming Amish.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 02-09-12 at 09:24 AM.
    KodyShadow and Skier1960 like this.
    02-09-12 07:56 AM
    Wow. Wonder how this growing story will be covered in the financial and tech media that Crackberry readers so frequently see with articles about RIM.
    In order for there to be RIM-like coverage Apple would have to releas products that are as "well-received" as the Storm, Storm 2 and PlayBook while seeing revenue declines, profit declines and an 85+% percent loss of share value from its all time high. If all those things happen, Apple will get RIM-like coverage.
    02-09-12 08:00 AM
    RIM publish no corporate responsibility report, no supply chain responsibility guidelines, they don't audit their supply chain or have a human rights code of conduct. Only Apple does.
    But, but, but. . . Mike L. gives money to charity!
    02-09-12 08:03 AM
    This is my bold 9000. As you can see it was lovingly made in Mexico by well paid labor.

Let's dig a little deeper shall we.

Yet on the reverse side of the exact same "made in Mexico" PCB

Well bugger me! I'm shocked they didn't cover that up with a nice little sticker too. Why is RIM lying?
    Maybe so their users can be holier than thou Wanks, just a guess.

Last edited by xandermac; 02-09-12 at 09:03 AM.
    02-09-12 08:34 AM
    Factory conditions in China is fundamentally their problem.

Apple is just a D-bag company
    02-09-12 08:53 AM
    Factory conditions in China is fundamentally their problem.

Apple is just a D-bag company
    Naturally. It's good to see that principal and social responsibility stops at RIMs door and only applies to others. Facts don't matter, they're hard.

Last edited by xandermac; 02-09-12 at 09:13 AM.
    02-09-12 08:54 AM
    The problem is Apple made obscene profits out of the cheap China labor.
    Carbonetics likes this.
    02-09-12 10:54 AM
    As did RIM. They're not making quite as much now so that must absolve them.

02-09-12 10:56 AM
    Naturally. It's good to see that principal and social responsibility stops at RIMs door and only applies to others. Facts don't matter, they're hard.

What I meant to say is it's China's problem/fault. Factory conditions is fundamentally something China has to deal with and enforce.

China is probably not the 'easiest' country to deal with when it comes to human rights issues
    02-09-12 10:58 AM
    I read somewhere that ONLY Apple and the Chinese government made obscene amounts of money??????? I just wish I made obscene profits. Then I could buy one of each of everything. (electronics)
    Last edited by skier1960; 02-09-12 at 11:37 AM.
    02-09-12 11:00 AM
    As did RIM. They're not making quite as much now so that must absolve them.

RIM never made the kind of profits Apple is making now, recession and all.
    Carbonetics likes this.
    02-09-12 11:12 AM
    Oh. So the problem isn't that Apple is using "slave" labor... it's that they are making so much money?

I get it. RIM's financial standing today is as a result of careful toe-tapping to ensure that they didn't make too much money, so that their use of Chinese labor is justified.

That does explain the Storm...

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-09-12 11:31 AM
    The innards of my "made in mexico" 9700.

Really? 2 for 2. This kind of deceit really is troubling. Especially when the users "truly" care about human rights and want to believe they're supporting a company that is making a difference.

Last edited by xandermac; 02-09-12 at 11:51 AM.
    02-09-12 11:48 AM
    Oh. So the problem isn't that Apple is using "slave" labor... it's that they are making so much money?

I get it. RIM's financial standing today is as a result of careful toe-tapping to ensure that they didn't make too much money, so that their use of Chinese labor is justified.

That does explain the Storm...

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Precisely, it has nothing to do with social responsibility or they would take responsibility. It's purely about wealth redistribution. Or just plain punishment of the successful.

If these people really cared they would use Apple because Apple is the only company being transparent about the problem and the only one trying to do something to help.

Pure hypocrisy, even with facts presented to them they're in denial.

Last edited by xandermac; 02-09-12 at 11:59 AM.
    02-09-12 11:55 AM
126 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD