I am getting my wife's, aunt's iPhone. I do not plan to use it as a phone. I am happy with Sprint and my BlackBerry. What can I use the phone for other than an iPod? Can you get just data on it?

Thanks for the help!
    09-13-10 09:28 PM
    You have to have a SIM card in it to get data. There may be some uses for it using strictly wifi only, but its pretty much an iPod without data.
    09-13-10 09:55 PM
    ok. Her aunt is taking it to the apple store to have it unlocked then bringing it to me. We shall see.
    09-13-10 10:51 PM
    I bought a 3GS for really cheap and I'm a BB user too. At first, I was using it like an itouch browsing the web, doing some mail and I even made VOIP calls. Turns out I like it so much that I activated it and I am now using it for everything except work mail.
    09-18-10 08:24 PM
    Apple won't "unlock" an iPhone.
    09-19-10 12:13 PM
    Jailbreak it and load up on the apps. Be prepared to start using it as your phone as well once you see how it is. I was a die-hard BB user and I grabbed an iPhone "just to see how it is". I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to BB at this point.

Total is right, they won't unlock it for you. Do it yourself, it's easy enough and there is a ton of support online for it.
    09-20-10 12:45 PM
    i did the same thing, got cheap iphone of craigslist the only thing im missing so far is the colors alerts and different alerts . i was so used to that but i think if apples upgrades to at least different email ,sms ringtone , gtalk alertts ect.. i will use it as my only phone ...well see
    09-20-10 12:51 PM
    So..... how do you go about getting a used iphone to work as an ipod? I have one, was wiped so it is a fresh start. Do I need to put a SIM in to get it going or what? I have an 80GB ipod and itunes, but my itunes does not recognize the iphone (no SIM). Can I run both off my one itunes?
    09-26-10 09:22 PM
    Your need a SIM to activate it. Depending on the model iPhone, you might be able to hacktivate it.

An alternative to actually getting an iPhone plan with AT&T is to get an iPad data only plan. iPad data only is contract free. You have to ask AT&T for an iPad chip, probably have to make up some excuse like you lost your original chip. You can buy a SIM adapter to get the microSIM into a regular SIM tray. I haven't tried this myself, but I hear it works.
    09-26-10 09:36 PM
    Well, for me, the iphone is I think a 2nd gen, 8GB iphone. The back is a brushed aluminum look, with black at the bottom....

Will ATT give out free SIM cards so I can try to activate it??
    09-26-10 10:07 PM
    No AT&T will not give you a free SIM.
    09-26-10 10:15 PM
    So I bought a cheap unactivated SIM from ebay. GOt it today, put it in the phone...nothing, hooked to itunes, nothing. SO I activated the SIM on the $1 pay as you go plan, still nothing.

Why is it so freakin hard to just get the phone to turn on and use its wifi and video capabilities??
    09-30-10 03:21 PM
    Just connect the phone to WiFi (when available). You just won't be able to use
    the actual phone app itself. It's basically an iPod touch.
    09-30-10 03:44 PM
    Please refer to my post #2. If you do not go through AT&T and activate the SIM card, you can not use it as a telephone.
    09-30-10 04:12 PM
    I understand that. Currently I cannot even get the phone past the "connect to itunes" screen. Itunes does not even acknowledge it is there. Only thing I get when plugged into my laptop is the prompt to use it as a camera, but even that does not work.

I think I will have to get new SIM and activate it then cancel service before end of 30 days.
    09-30-10 04:26 PM
    It appears you have an original iPhone, aluminum back with black plastic. The original iPhone is easily Hacktivated. Go check out modmyi.com for instructions on how to do it. It's also easily unlocked if you want to use it with T-Mobile.

Alternatively, just go to blackweather and download blackra1n and figure it out yourself. It's pretty easy from what I hear.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-30-10 at 04:47 PM.
    09-30-10 04:29 PM
    If you know anyone with AT&T just use their sim card to activate the phone on iTunes. Even a sim card that isn't even active will work.
    09-30-10 05:56 PM
    OK< I quit. Nothing is working. I have tried to download Blackra1n multiple times.... every time I try to run it I get a no ASL.dll error. Itunes flat out refuses to see the iphone, even in recovery mode (turn phone off, hold Home button then plug USB cable in...).

I give up. I looked at the Redmondpie pages but they do me no good because itunes won't recognize the phone.
    10-01-10 02:08 PM
    lol dude, all you need is an AT&T sim card to put in the phone for like 2 minutes so
    iTunes recognizes the phone. Can be an active sim card, or just an old sim card that's
    not even active anymore. That's all you need.

Right after that you can jailbreak, unlock it and all that good stuff. Just needs
    to be activated by iTunes. That's all.
    10-01-10 02:30 PM
    I have tried with SIM card and itunes will not recognize the phone. The only way I have been able to get itunes to see the phone is to try to put it in DFU mode...whatever that means. It tried twice to restore the phone but failed both times with a 1601 error.
    10-01-10 03:39 PM
    iTunes not recognizing the phone is a driver problem. Try uninstalling iTunes, and then reinstalling it. Even unactivated, it should recognize the phone. I recently did a firmware upgrade on my i4, and it requires reactivation. Even in unactivated state, it iTunes recognizes it and tries to activate it.

For the Blackra1n problem, here's the fix:

How To Fix Missing ASL.dll While Running Blackra1n
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 10-01-10 at 04:36 PM.
    10-01-10 04:33 PM
    How do I do that without losing everything I have on itunes?
    10-01-10 04:37 PM
    How do I do that without losing everything I have on itunes?
    You don't lose anything. You might have to rescan the library, but probably not.
    10-01-10 04:44 PM
    Ok, thank you for the info. I am at work on my DInc. I will try everything out when I get home at 2am.
    Last edited by zrxoa1; 10-01-10 at 11:38 PM.
    10-01-10 06:20 PM
    I give up.... again. Now my Itunes is screwed up. I uninstalled and re installed itunes, and keep getting the error message that I cannot import or burn CDs unless I reinstall itunes. I have tried three times. Same thing. Still not recognizing the iphone. The computer tries to install the iphone as a digital still camera.

For something that is supposed to be so easy, it sure is kicking my ****!
    10-02-10 02:43 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD