If I'm missing my phone and cannot locate it instantly I can just remote wipe in in .06 seconds if worse comes to worse.
    Provided the SIM card is still in it, and/or the phone is still in celll tower reception and not in someone's cellar granted.

The iPhone has weak security and if you want good phone security then the phone itself HAS to be autonomously secure.

THAT SAYS BLACKBERRY.
    02-13-11 02:48 AM
    Provided the SIM card is still in it, and/or the phone is still in celll tower reception and not in someone's cellar granted.

The iPhone has weak security and if you want good phone security then the phone itself HAS to be autonomously secure.

THAT SAYS BLACKBERRY.
    One of the reasons why Apple is playing around with the idea of SIMless model concepts.

There's no doubt that security is weaker on other platforms than BB, but like I said, a lot of that comes from regarded popularity. No one of true dynamic needs regards BB as a Smartphone. Maybe QNX will change that; whenever Mike finally decides dual core chipsets are cheap enough for him to buy. Lol
    02-13-11 02:56 AM
    Unless I'm mistaken, that's where the grunt work goes (the jobs that cost $8 an hour in the US or $8 a month there), not the jobs that require security.
    And if a job in India or the UAE does require security, there will be just as much corporate espionage there as there would be in NA or the UK.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Wow, how ignorant. So because a person makes $8/hr, their job is not important enough. I hate to break it to you, but there are plenty of low paying jobs (specifically in healthcare) that are high security jobs. But, if you want more evidence that salary doesn't dictate security, more and more healthcare providers are moving away from Blackberrys and into iPhones, Android devices, iPads, and tabs that allow providers to transmit vital patient information to EMRs.
    02-13-11 11:23 AM
    I gotta love how everyone on here who carries a blackberry thinks they work for the federal gov't and believes security is the only selling point to a phone these days.
    02-13-11 11:24 AM
    Wow, how ignorant. So because a person makes $8/hr, their job is not important enough. I hate to break it to you, but there are plenty of low paying jobs (specifically in healthcare) that are high security jobs. But, if you want more evidence that salary doesn't dictate security, more and more healthcare providers are moving away from Blackberrys and into iPhones, Android devices, iPads, and tabs that allow providers to transmit vital patient information to EMRs.
    Trust me bro, I've worked many low paying jobs - I was a grocery clerk, a telephone surveyor, maintenance at a mall, etc.
    Low pay jobs don't require specialized training. That's why they're low paying jobs. Don't make me lecture you on economics, it'll just bore everyone and confuse you. How much do you think Apple pays those factory workers in China? How much would Apple have to pay those same workers if they were in America?
    No specialized training means exportable. It also means they're not going to trust you with corporate secrets.
    I was making a point about US companies that are moving to overseas countries not wanting the security BlackBerry offers.

02-13-11 11:32 AM

THAT SAYS BLACKBERRY.
    On BBs the wipe command is tied to the PIN. the moment the Berry is connected to the NOC, it is wiped regardless of the SIM.
    02-13-11 11:38 AM
    I gotta love how everyone on here who carries a blackberry thinks they work for the federal gov't and believes security is the only selling point to a phone these days.
    No buddy is saying that security is the only selling point. Is issue here is the value of your information stored in your phone. If you care about the information you have stored in your phone contacts, credit cards information, passwords, ect then it should bother you how easily is to infiltrate any phone, not just the Iphone. This is the main reason many corporation have BBs. They have proven to be extremely secure than other devices.

02-13-11 11:46 AM
    If those crazy Chinese wanted into RIM's NOC, they'd be in it by now. Lol

Do you honestly believe RIM has some secret tight security guarding their network that our own FBI and NSA don't have? We all know those two have been entered by Asian sources in the near past. Face it, no one gives a isht about BB. I dread the day something bad happens to the RIM core network. Everyone in the world with a BB would be carrying a dumbphone with voice only capabilities. That wouldn't be a good thing for the immediate time. Can you imagine what impact that would have and how long it would take to roll out another platform to everyone if the infrastructure couldn't be returned to functioing form. I don't even want to think about it!
    LOL, yeah, all the high-value targets use iPhones and Androids... Right! They're getting hacked for their Angry Birds high scores... Of course these same targets, when using their Macbooks suddenly aren't a target... The lengths you'll go to try to throw RIM and only RIM under the bus is astounding.

If some guys can do this on Youtube, then your Chinese experts can probably hack the iPhone without even possessing it...

And the best you can counter with is that some govts have probably been able to access BB's. Yeah, pretty much ANYONE can access an iPhone. And this isn't the first security flaw, not even the first on this OS. You can hack out the Address Book on almost any iPhone without any TOOLS...

02-13-11 02:00 PM
    On BBs the wipe command is tied to the PIN. the moment the Berry is connected to the NOC, it is wiped regardless of the SIM.
    And on the iPhone it's tied to the SN of the phone and not SIM number when tied into an Exchange server. I'm sure the other remote wipes and tracking like FindMyiPhone work the same way. Tie that phone to to the web via mobile or WIFI and a wipe will come, unless the thief has already wiped the phone, which removes the AS association from it. Blacklisting devices is better on BB however since if RIM blacklists the PIN, the stolen or lost BB won't do anything more then just make phonecalls.
    02-13-11 03:39 PM
    So they both use similar methods of wiping. That still leaves the rather large difference that one can be cracked with available tools in minutes and the other could theoretically be cracked by the Chinese govt, the NSA or by anyone with tools that aren't available...
    02-13-11 04:45 PM
    So they both use similar methods of wiping. That still leaves the rather large difference that one can be cracked with available tools in minutes and the other could theoretically be cracked by the Chinese govt, the NSA or by anyone with tools that aren't available...
    So by that definition, your house could be just as unsecure as your neighbor's, but when his gets broken in more often then yours, does that mean yours is somehow more secure?

I can fill a house with attractive valuables and put the best locks on it and right next door have an identical house that's empty or has isht stuff in it and leave the doors and windows wide open. Which one do you think will get broken in first?

Sony's PSP wasn't very popular until hackers made it possible to run CF on it and do much more than play the limited library of crap games they released for it.

Had the iPhone sucked as bad as a BB or Nokia and I guarantee you no one would have wasted their time to hack it. Platform popularity drives hacking, don't kid yourself.
    02-13-11 09:51 PM
    Who's really kidding themselves? I can't tell if you're just being disingenuous or delusional. That argument might hold water in the PC/Mac world where its 90%/10%, but it doesn't apply to smartphones where the market share is even. And that's just a recent occurrence. Why wasn't the BB hacked when it was the ONLY game in town? How come it wasn't hacked when it had a larger market share than iOS and Android combined? Why don't you sit down and hack it, with all your "knowledge"? Yeah, we know, it's not worth it.

I thought we were having a logical discussion but I see its more about emotions. If these are the lengths you need to go to justify your iPhone switch, then you should just step away from CB while you still have some credibility...
    grover5 likes this.
    02-13-11 10:49 PM
    Lol, I don't have to justify the security of the platform I switched to because I own it and need to feel secure. I switched because I needed functionality that RIM's not bringing to the table anytime soon. Also, the switch was even more attractive because I could hack the platform, just like I was considering Android for the same reasons.

I don't need a completely tight platform to feel safe. I know what preventive measures I need to take to make things secure. What happens after that is 100% chance occurence. I don't deal with worrying about possibility but probability. As long as I deminish possibility so much as to decrease probability, then it's fine.

Basically, this means that you need to be situation aware to safeguard things. Guys should carry wallets in front pockets than back ones to minimize theft by a large margin. Sure, you could wear a chain on it like the grunge punks, but your business suit attire would look silly at that point. If you can understand this way of looking at the world, you'll realize that I'm far from worried of what the CB community thinks as opposed to my stand on various subjects.

In terms of security feelings about platforms, I'm actually glad I'm rid of RIM's proxy servers for surfing and other network actions. Now I can concentrate on controlling network traffic security like I do on a standard PC. If I'm worried about my traffic going across the local Starbucks open WIFI, then I'll remain on the more secure mobile network. Or I could simply connect to that open WIFI, nail up a VPN connection and then put all the other traffic across that encrypted tunnel if I'm doing something that requires more secrecy in a public setting. Ultimately, I know how to treat each scenario presented to me and it's nice to know that I now have a platform that I have control over rather than the control being forced onto me by someone else.

A lot of hacks are possible on Linux, but a ton of hackers also run that platform because they aren't scared or are unsure of what measures they need to take to secure it. For the rest of you out there, there's security blankets you can buy into.
    02-13-11 11:26 PM
    You're skirting the issue. It's not about VPNs or open WIFI. When you lose that "password-protected" iPhone with the sensitive information on it, it can be cracked like an egg. The BB can't.

Keep making up silly analogies all you want, but that's where it stands.
    02-14-11 12:03 AM
    Like I said, I'd have to lose it first. Then there's always the remote wipe which I control from my own ActiveSync admin tools which I can trigger at the drop of a hat and get confirmation that it did or didn't do it. Then there's the fact that all my sensitive info is held within another app that encrypts the info inside it as well. Like I said, minimize possibility to limit probability. (I don't cache passwords in any of my apps or websites visited and i keep all the super secret info memorized anyway. So ya, steal my brain, lol.)

Besides, if I want the info off your BB, all I have to do is snatch it from you before your password timeout delay and just make sure it doesn't time out. Then I can browse and look at all your info. Sure, I can't plug it in to sync the data off, but it won't keep me from being able to read it if I'm really determined to get your info.

So, take it or leave it, but I think you're the one trying really hard here to justify the weak 9000 model you have by boasting its security over everything else. Enjoy your safe and text-only based experience. Lol

Besides, do you know how many normal consumers out there carry a BB around that isn't locked down with a password? A TON! For those people, the native BB security capabilities don't even play a roll if they lose the device. WTF, am I the only one that realizes these simple facts or are you that naive?
    02-14-11 12:18 AM
    Well, if you have to resort to making fun of my phone, then I'll take that as you conceding the actual argument.

I'll stop now so you don't embarrass yourself further...
    02-14-11 12:39 AM
    Oh noes!!! Someone might get my CB password.
    02-14-11 06:56 AM
    Well, if you have to resort to making fun of my phone, then I'll take that as you conceding the actual argument.

I'll stop now so you don't embarrass yourself further...
    Trust me, I could find something better than your phone to make fun of if I really needed to.

For the record SCrid2000, I don't hate BBs, I just think that RIM's way (and I mean WAY) overdue for a platform revamp. There is far too much stuff that cannot be done with a BB in the busness world that they can't afford to keep making excuses... which is what the PB is. It's their excuse/solution to not being able to do on a BB what a PB can do. So, they'll continue to lose customers each day until they find their path. It's 2011 and the most widely used version of BBOS still cannot add a phone number from the Call Log to an existing contact without doing a copy/paste (and several other steps). It's things like this that people seem to forget because we deal with them so much on a daily basis that we've learned to overlook them, which is bad because it just leads to continued poor OS design from RIM.
    02-14-11 08:10 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD