Being that its now 2012, 1997 seems light years ago but for those current iphone users of today need to know their current phone almost didnt exist before knocking the turblance that RIM is going through today. Is this a repeat of what happen with Apple and M.S. in 1997 in regards to RIM it is yet to be seen or known. But I'm intrigued to read my fellow RIM supporters (RIM Bashers to) comment on this article in regards to today's RIM.

Aug. 6, 1997: Apple Rescued � by Microsoft
    By John C Abell Email Author August 6, 2009 | 12:00 am | Categories: 20th century, Computers and IT, People
    | Edit
    Follow @johncabell

1997: Microsoft rescues one-time and future nemesis Apple with a $150 million investment that breathes new life into a struggling Silicon Alley icon.

In a remarkable feat of negotiating legerdemain, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs got needed cash � in return for non-voting shares � and an assurance that Microsoft would support Office for the Mac for five years. Apple agreed to drop a long-running lawsuit in which they alleged Microsoft copied the look and feel of the Mac OS for Windows and to make Internet Explorer the default browser on its computers � but not the only choice.

Microsoft got to look like a noble competitor, for a change, for what amounted to a rounding error on their annual revenues. Timing mattered: The company was in the midst of an image-tarnishing antitrust fight over its heavy-handed promotion of IE during the height of the browser wars with Netscape.

The Apple faithful had already been conditioned to expect the unexpected when Jobs was in the house. But this surprise announcement, at Macworld in Boston, was pure Jobs theater. And it came with an oddly juxtaposed (satellite!) video feed of then-Microsoft CEO Bill Gates piped into the auditorium, dwarfing Jobs on stage.

The imagery may have been unintentional but the metaphor was entirely accurate: Apple had a tiny share of the desktop computer market, had not yet revolutionized the music industry with the iPod and couldn�t possibly dare to dream it would disrupt the smartphone market with the iPhone � because there was no such thing as a smartphone.

And while the fanboys didn�t exactly know what to make of the new friendship between the corporate equivalents of a mongoose and a cobra, their instinct was, of course, to be against it. As reported at the time by The Seattle Times, �The unexpected revelation � prompted gasps of disbelief and loud boos from the audience of thousands of Mac users and software developers.�

Jobs, the Times reported, �attempted to soothe the audience, saying: �We have to let go of a few notions here. We have to let go of the notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft needs to lose.��

Neither company (or executive) lost, but the world has changed in unpredictable ways and both have new competitors to worry about � in particular, a little company that was founded a scant year later. In little more than a decade Google has become the leader in search and an emerging power in cloud computing, both vital to Microsoft, as well as a player in the smartphone platform, which horns in on Apple.

But in this simpler time the deal gave Jobs the running room to make Apple a 21st century powerhouse, which, after 18 months of losses, was hardly a forgone conclusion. On the strength of the deal Jobs � still a mere adviser to the Apple board � got himself hired as �interim CEO.� Fired in 1985, Jobs would return at Top Dog. He would receive no pay, and he could quit at any time.

�The message was clear,� Frank Rose wrote in a new introduction to his 1989 history of Apple, West of Eden. �Apple needed him more than he needed Apple.�

And Jobs set out to prove it, with a rapid dismantling of virtually everything predecessor John Sculley had done. As Rose recounts:

Over the next few months, more changes followed � each of them a repudiation of one Sculley initiative or another. The number of product lines was winnowed from 15 to four. The retail channel was streamlined: Instead of selling through competing chains in a misguided drive for �shelf space,� sales were unified through an exclusive national dealer.

Marketing was focused around a single message � the �Think Different� campaign from Chiat/Day, the newly rehired ad agency behind the unforgettable �1984� TV spot that had launched the Mac. The licensing deals that enabled other manufacturers to undercut Apple with Mac clones were terminated. Operating expenses were cut nearly in half. Within months, Apple was back in the black.

While another suitor or White Knight may have emerged instead, the Microsoft deal provided a number of things: a cash cushion, the neutralization of Apple�s chief tormentor, continued independence and � perhaps most important � a way for Jobs to make his Phoenix-like return and assemble the small inner circle that still runs everything at One Infinite Loop.

And without the alignment of these particular stars it is anyone�s guess if the iRevolution � iMac, iTunes, iPod, iPhone � would have ever happened
    05-07-12 10:33 AM
    Being that its now 2012, 1997 seems light years ago but for those current iphone users of today need to know their current phone almost didnt exist before knocking the turblance that RIM is going through today. Is this a repeat of what happen with Apple and M.S. in 1997 in regards to RIM it is yet to be seen or known. But I'm intrigued to read my fellow RIM supporters (RIM Bashers to) comment on this article in regards to today's RIM.
    Not to be too pedantic, but LIGHT YEARS is a unit of distance not time.
    So 1997 cannot be "light years" away. It was only 15 years ago.
    If 1997 was in fact "light years" away then it would follow that 1997 is very far off but you can still travel to it in a sufficiently fast vehicle. Which would be absurd.

Anyway, now that my tryst with pedantry is over, carry on with your post. You should get your flame suit out. Just some friendly advice.
    roderickwill likes this.
    05-07-12 10:53 AM
    Apple was about to fail. I did not like the reason though. It was because Microsoft was absolutely an SOB pushing their monopoly power around. Back in 2002ish I was a big apple supporter because I don't like this kind of corporate behavior.

Unfortunately, Apple learned all the wrong lessons from their near death experience. Apple today sues more people than Microsoft. They are keeping some nice tablets and phones (especially from Samsung) from entering markets.

Apple is currently being sued by the Justice Department for price fixing e-books, this shortly after the begun restricting access of popular apps to their e-bookstores to cajole people into using iBooks. Apple is also price fixing prices with carriers and I wish the Justice Department would investigate this as well.

The guys I used to stand up for have turned out to be more vicious and effectively destructive than old Microsoft ever was.

I have to give it to Steve Jobs. Without him Apple would just be a little nitch company if it even survived. But under his ruthless leadership and clear vision apple executed well and is now on the verge of choking much of the competition out of business.

I say it is sad to see.
    I listened to Steve Jobs talk about why there were no cameras on the iPad1. He said "why would you want to take a picture with it? it would be like taking a picture with a clipboard". However, the unsuspecting iPad1 buyers did not know the tablet already had a camera slot in it. But they would have to upgrade to get it. Same thing with the 4s. The only thing that was new on it was Siri. Siri could run on the iP4 but why give it to people when they can be forced to upgrade.

If there is one thing Apple has been exceptional at is spinning the story. I went to look at the iPad3 and it really does get hotter than I would like. It really has one single speaker facing away from the user. It really is not as portable as the Playbook but alas it is selling by the millions. The tablet is nice but the spin is amazing. An article was going around that a young man in China sold a kidney to get enough money to buy an iPhone and an iPad. Seriously, that a complete failure to reason but the hype can get us all caught up doing things a rational and careful process would simply not fall for.

Frankly, the pretty apple logo scares me a bit today. I see the power behind it and the ruthlessness and it is clear that if Apple can establish a monopoly they absolutely will.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 05-07-12 at 11:05 AM.
    05-07-12 10:57 AM
    Apple was about to fail. I did not like the reason though. It was because Microsoft was absolutely an SOB pushing their monopoly power around. Back in 2002ish I was a big apple supporter because I don't like this kind of corporate behavior.

Unfortunately, Apple learned all the wrong lessons from their near death experience. Apple today sues more people than Microsoft. They are keeping some nice tablets and phones (especially from Samsung) from entering markets.

Apple is currently being sued by the Justice Department for price fixing e-books, this shortly after the begun restricting access of popular apps to their e-bookstores to cajole people into using iBooks. Apple is also price fixing prices with carriers and I wish the Justice Department would investigate this as well.

The guys I used to stand up for have turned out to be more vicious and effectively destructive than old Microsoft ever was.

I have to give it to Steve Jobs. Without him Apple would just be a little nitch company if it even survived. But under his ruthless leadership and clear vision apple executed well and is now on the verge of choking much of the competition out of business.

I say it is sad to see.
    I listened to Steve Jobs talk about why there were no cameras on the iPad1. He said "why would you want to take a picture with it? it would be like taking a picture with a clipboard". However, the unsuspecting iPad1 buyers did not know the tablet already had a camera slot in it. But they would have to upgrade to get it. Same thing with the 4s. The only thing that was new on it was Siri. Siri could run on the iP4 but why give it to people when they can be forced to upgrade.

If there is one thing Apple has been exceptional at is spinning the story. I went to look at the iPad3 and it really does get hotter than I would like. It really has one single speaker facing away from the user. It really is not as portable as the Playbook but alas it is selling by the millions. The tablet is nice but the spin is amazing. An article was going around that a young man in China sold a kidney to get enough money to buy an iPhone and an iPad. Seriously, that a complete failure to reason but the hype can get us all caught up doing things a rational and careful process would simply not fall for.

Frankly, the pretty apple logo scares me a bit today. I see the power behind it and the ruthlessness and it is clear that if Apple can establish a monopoly they absolutely will.
    Well that is the nature of business and big corporations.
    Can't really blame Apple. When a company's down they behave like the underdog,but once it gets on top it needs to protect its position otherwise it's a long way down.

RIM would be the same if they corner the market in the manner Apple's has.

It plays out all the time. And there will always be other companies trying to knock of the big monopolistic company. Many would fail in that challenge but one would succeed and the big guy would be knocked off the throne. MS did it to Apple, Apple did it to MS. Nokia knocked off Motorola, Apple and Samsung too Nokia to the cleaners. Will continue to happen.
    05-07-12 01:42 PM
    Thanks, it was a good read OP.

Great post guerllamo.

I have so much to say, but its just not worth saying. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks really..
    05-07-12 02:01 PM
    Jobs was obsessed with others copying Apple's OS, at least many parts of it. Google did it with Android and MS did it with Windows, and everyone knew it of course. Perhaps he got too wrapped up in that instead of just concentrating on Apple itself. In the early days he didn't have a grip on costs, nor profits. All he cared about was the product. He got the product part right almost every time, and got better with the rest of it. And promotion was his forte, because he could see that people really didn't care about the duo core processor, they cared about the form factor, the interaction experience. They cared about stuff they could see and hear, not stuff hidden inside (Intel inside, what a lame slogan). Gates was into pimping software only, a commidity that could be copied and stolen. If you want to steal something Apple you'd better heist it out of the store.
    05-07-12 03:25 PM

I say it is sad to see.

Lol what is RIMM good at? Over promising and under performing?

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    05-07-12 05:34 PM
    Lol what is RIMM good at? Over promising and under performing?

Nothing man, they're good for nothing. They are total *******! They are going down the hole. Apple will rule all.

If that's satisfying enough for you, will you stop trolling almost every thread you post in, Mr Mcfly?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using CrackBerry Forums App/Tapatalk
    harshalbid271 likes this.
    05-07-12 06:03 PM
    Nothing man, they're good for nothing. They are total *******! They are going down the hole. Apple will rule all.

If that's satisfying enough for you, will you stop trolling almost every thread you post in, Mr Mcfly?

Uh, this IS in the Apple sub forums, right? Maybe you should direct your comment at the OP.
    05-07-12 06:13 PM

That was a legitimate question....I didn't start the thread...The op wanted negative attention, that's why this thread was started....

05-07-12 06:16 PM
    Its fine I can read between the lines.

05-07-12 06:33 PM
    Nothing man, they're good for nothing.
    Lol. You said it bro. Not him. He's perfectly willing to give RIM the credit it's due for over promising and under delivering.
    05-08-12 02:31 AM
    Its what you all wanted to hear from the start. Thought you would have piped down by now. I wonder, who turned a thread about MS/Apple into RIM?

harshalbid271 likes this.
    05-08-12 07:53 AM
    Same thing with the 4s. The only thing that was new on it was Siri. Siri could run on the iP4 but why give it to people when they can be forced to upgrade.
    The camera on the new iphone is incredible. The internals were upgraded. Again, it was a small upgrade, but that's how Apple's release cycles go. Every 2 years is a redesign. Every 2 years is a minimal upgrade.

It's amazing that someone who is in love with Blackberry would even comment on the Apple upgrades. I had a Tour, could not run OS 6. I have a 9650, can not run OS 7. The biggest difference between the Tour and Bold? Doubled Ram and trackpad. THAT was an upgrade. You wanted a new OS? Buy a new phone.
    05-08-12 07:53 AM
    The camera on the new iphone is incredible. The internals were upgraded. Again, it was a small upgrade, but that's how Apple's release cycles go. Every 2 years is a redesign. Every 2 years is a minimal upgrade.

It's amazing that someone who is in love with Blackberry would even comment on the Apple upgrades. I had a Tour, could not run OS 6. I have a 9650, can not run OS 7. The biggest difference between the Tour and Bold? Doubled Ram and trackpad. THAT was an upgrade. You wanted a new OS? Buy a new phone.
    lol please man, stop kidding yourself. Just because you can install ios 5 on a 3gs it doesn't mean it runs well. It actually runs like . Same with the latest ipod touch..

Like another poster said in another thread: Stop buying into all the propaganda.

05-08-12 08:09 AM
    lol please man, stop kidding yourself. Just because you can install ios 5 on a 3gs it doesn't mean it runs well. It actually runs like . Same with the latest ipod touch..

Like another poster said in another thread: Stop buying into all the propaganda.

I would rather have the choice to upgrade an old phone then be told I have to buy a new phone to get the software.

So, I can choose what's working now, or if I want, upgrade to the latest and greatest. With my Tour, and 9650, I have no such choices to make. If anything, I would say the company making the choice for you is propaganda.

The iphone 4 is just about 2 years old, and it's running the latest and greatest software from Apple. Propaganda?
    Last edited by brucep1; 05-08-12 at 08:20 AM.
    05-08-12 08:17 AM
    I really don't think OS 6 would've made made my tour work any better or make it able to do any more than it could all ready. I guess some have their phones for several? years but 2 years later and my tour is in a drawer only to be used as a backup. I imagine I'm not alone no matter the manufacturer or OS.

MS helped them out but also helped themselves at the same time.
    05-08-12 08:44 AM
    I would rather have the choice to upgrade an old phone then be told I have to buy a new phone to get the software.

So, I can choose what's working now, or if I want, upgrade to the latest and greatest. With my Tour, and 9650, I have no such choices to make. If anything, I would say the company making the choice for you is propaganda.

The iphone 4 is just about 2 years old, and it's running the latest and greatest software from Apple. Propaganda?
    I completely disagree with you. Don't actually attempt to differentiate the 4 and the 4s. They are almost identical except for Siri.

No one I know who has a 3gs (comparable to a tour or 9650 in terms of age) has ios5 running smoothly. Yeah, Apple makes you upgrade but they know the user experience is going to suck, and they make it so that if you are on outdated apple software, your device gets limited and in some cases people have reported not being able to access appstore without the latest apple software.

Because of all this, Apple users want (and need) to upgrade to the latest and greatest hardware, especially when they have all the magical apple ads flashing in their faces. Apple makes it this way. Propaganda.
    They want you to get the latest apple phone. They pretty much give you no choice but to upgrade and give you a crappy user experience or else your stuck with a limited outdated os. RIM supports the older OS's still whereas Apple doesn't. With an older RIM os, you can still do ALOT. and very easily.

This is why I completely disagree with you. Its because of the veil they put forth in regards to this that actually lead you to believe (apple leads people to believe things very well) that this circumstance is better. Its not. Apple wins, you lose. Apple always wins, brucep.

Last edited by apengue1; 05-08-12 at 10:46 AM.
    05-08-12 10:44 AM
    Yeah, Apple makes you upgrade but they know the user experience is going to suck, and they make it so that if you are on outdated apple software, your device gets limited and in some cases people have reported not being able to access appstore without the latest apple software.
    Wrong. Apple doesn't make you upgrade to the newest software. They give you a choice.

No one I know who has a 3gs (comparable to a tour or 9650 in terms of age) has ios5 running smoothly.
    Fine, doesn't run smoothly? Don't upgrade to it. Realize the 3gs is from 2009, 2012 software may not run the best on it. But my point, looking at the bigger picture, is in the iPhone 4 upgrade cycle, the newest software runs great.

And with 2 year contracts, knowing you will have the newest software available throughout your contract certainly adds to the value of the device.

If I go out and buy a 9930 today, I will be stuck on OS7 for 2 years. In 2014, with iOS 8, Jelly bean sandwich, etc., I'll be showing off liquid graphics. No thanks.
    05-08-12 11:20 AM
    No one I know who has a 3gs (comparable to a tour or 9650 in terms of age) has ios5 running smoothly. Yeah, Apple makes you upgrade but they know the user experience is going to suck, and they make it so that if you are on outdated apple software, your device gets limited and in some cases people have reported not being able to access appstore without the latest apple software.
    Actually, you can access the app store all you want, but some apps are only made for specific iOS. If you're on a 3GS and you haven't ever updated, apps made for iOS 5 won't work until you update.

Because of all this, Apple users want (and need) to upgrade to the latest and greatest hardware, especially when they have all the magical apple ads flashing in their faces. Apple makes it this way. Propaganda.
    They want you to get the latest apple phone. They pretty much give you no choice but to upgrade and give you a crappy user experience or else you're stuck with a limited outdated os. RIM supports the older OS's still whereas Apple doesn't. With an older RIM os, you can still do ALOT. and very easily.
    Support? I have yet to get an OS update on my S2 in the almost two years I've been using it. Before that, with my string of Curves, I have gotten maybe one BBOS update. One. With my iPhone, I've gotten at least 3 updates since October.

As for the propaganda argument, meh. Not like it has anything to do with Apple building a quality device that works and gets regular updates. You get what works for you. The rest of us will get what works for us. Problem solved.
    05-08-12 12:32 PM
    Yeah they give you a choice. Tell me though, what happens when you don't upgrade? It sucks. And when you do? It also sucks.

Also, to be honest, the biggest launch Apple had imo last fall was ios5, not the 4s. The 4s is basically a 4. No wonder the 4 can run the latest os. Its a 4 + added Siri. It has a very minimal hardware upgrade! When RIM releases a new OS, its for a completely different set of hardware. In this case, it would be like comparing the 3 vs the 4.

Doesn't really matter. I'm not saying bbos is all that, but it does what it does very well. And there's a reason you still see old BB's in people's hands. Because they still WORK. It still does what it needs to do for them. Its not as nice as the newest hardware, but if you look around at all Apple products, its clear that theres an upgrade cycle. Apple makes you upgrade to a latest device. When you see an Apple product its always pretty recent.

They have a fantastic marketing system. Its absolutely incredible. No wonder they make so much money. Somebody has to be paying them, right? Its us, the consumers, almost every single year.

If you like the way the system works then go for it, but I will never go as far as to buy one of their products. My 9700 is plenty enough for me right now, even after 2 years. Compared to the 3gs.. well the 3gs right now is pretty much unusable from a software standpoint.

Cold sunshine - BB still has software updates for its os6 devices. Until very recently at least. Os7? much more than just 3.

Also, those 3 updates you had for your iphone, theyre intended for the latest line of iphone: 4 and identical 4s, which im assuming is what you have. Basically, if you want an iphone, you need the latest iphone. Who knows if ios 6 will be nice on your 4. Chances are you'll have to get the IP5.

Anyway, this is pretty off-topic from the original post. I choose to stop arguing right here, I think I've made my point.
    Last edited by apengue1; 05-08-12 at 12:40 PM.
    05-08-12 12:33 PM
    Yeah they give you a choice. Tell me though, what happens when you don't upgrade?
    Men in white suits come at you with ray guns and will vaporize your flesh. That's why I always upgrade.

Cold sunshine - BB still has software updates for its os6 devices. Until very recently at least. Os7? much more than just 3.

Also, those 3 updates you had for your iphone, theyre intended for the latest line of iphone: 4 and identical 4s, which im assuming is what you have. Basically, if you want an iphone, you need the latest iphone. Who knows if ios 6 will be nice on your 4. Chances are you'll have to get the IP5.

Storm2 is an OS5 phone. It has yet to get an update and was EOLd shortly after being released by Verizon.

When iOS6 comes out, I'll let you know how my 4s handles it.
    05-08-12 12:42 PM
    Yeah they give you a choice. Tell me though, what happens when you don't upgrade? It sucks. And when you do? It also sucks.
    It's tough to argue with that logic.
    When RIM releases a new OS, its for a completely different set of hardware.
    I just..I can't...
    Anyway, this is pretty off-topic from the original post. I choose to stop arguing right here, I think I've made my point.
    Yes, yes you have.
    05-08-12 01:04 PM
    Here ya go guys. Lest ye forget who you owe your thanks to. bwahaha.

Last edited by omniusovermind; 05-08-12 at 02:45 PM.
    05-08-12 02:41 PM
    I really cant see why people will be just fine with two platforms, apple and google!! what happen to diversity or market niche. I relate this to movie or music genres, if the same two type of movies come out weekly will people continue to flock to the movies or get bored with the movies all together?

Blackberry is the most secure platform period. Sure they miss the boat on the upgrades and all BUT compared to Apple whom holds back on their product innovations to get the most money it can get out of consumers before they truly upgrade to something better ie. the suppose new Iphone 5. Apple users are suckers for falling for this every single time.

The reason why BB World did so great and the new CEO is on the right path in leading its 75 million subscribers is because of niche nothing more nothing less BB loyalist know why they love the product and hate it and why they will and wont in the future it all boils down to niche which for the first time since i've been a bb supporter is define. I dont need millions of apps in a cell phone I need a phone that can help me succeed and be my "right hand man" aka jarvis from Iron man not Siri from Apple and with the new direction of BB I have no doubt bb will produce the Jarvis like interface to help people succeed.
    05-08-12 02:51 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD