I've been reading up and found that jailbreaking supports flash in a roundabout way. What i'm looking for is a way to visit say, youtube, get access to all their videos instead of the limited ones from mobile websites.

I currently downloaded a thrid party browser with a user agent control so I don't always get redirected to a .m site, however, in the case of youtube, I can get to all the content but since the webpage is the full site, the videos woun't play due to the lack of flash support.

I understand that youtube supports HTML5 which I think iPhone supports, not sure though. Is doing something with HTML5 an option?

This certainly isn't a big deal but it would be pretty cool to get access to all the content if possible. As for flash games, I could really care less about that.

Has anyone had any success in visiting youtube and geting access to all content and playing them on the iPhone?

Thanks
    02-27-11 06:25 AM
    If YouTube videos are all you're concerned with, use the built in YouTube app on the iPhone. All the videos and search results there are identical to the full website.

As for Flash, you'll need to Jailbreak it and install the Flash support module from Cedia. That's the only way you're going to be able to support Flash in the Safari browser. Only other option would be something like Skyfire, but even that doesn't support all Flash based video sites. Just use the YouTube app and be done with it. The video quality on it is high because it plays the HD content and not the mobile version like the BB platform does.
    02-27-11 08:38 AM
    Yea.. I was reading about Skyfire and I'm not so sure about that one. If it were a free app, I could try it and dump it if I didn't like it.

As for the Youtube app, I'm not sure it shows all the videos either. I did a desktop search and a youtube app search of a specific video and the youtube app was missing what I was looking for.

Is the youtube app supposed to find all those videos that the desktop browser gets?

How about Cydia? Is it true flash on safari? Does the Cydia plugin allow Safari to act completely like the desktops?The way I read Skyfire, the conversion/ proxy serving between flash and HTML5 is that you dont get HD content as you mention.

How about Hulu? Does Cydia allow access to Hulu content or does Hulu got that locked down and the only way to get Hulu is thru Hulu+

Thanks for your help.
    02-27-11 08:58 AM
    Hulu is locked out. The Flash plug-in is the same as the Android version. If works natively within the browser itself. Cydia is an AppStore for Jailbroken iPhones, not the plug-in itself.

I'd say do a bit more reading if you're unsure what stuff is.

As for the YouTube app, my searches are the same. What was the name of this video you were trying to find?
    02-27-11 02:15 PM
    I am not a fan of SkyFire. I bought it for my iPad and wasn't all that impressed. Yes, it could play most flash content, but it would take FOREVER to load it. You had very limited control of the video (ie rewinding or fast forwarding). Android can play Hulu with a simple hack. I had Hulu running on my Fascinate without a problem. But it did drain the battery QUICK!
    02-28-11 09:32 AM
    I am not a fan of SkyFire. I bought it for my iPad and wasn't all that impressed. Yes, it could play most flash content, but it would take FOREVER to load it. You had very limited control of the video (ie rewinding or fast forwarding). Android can play Hulu with a simple hack. I had Hulu running on my Fascinate without a problem. But it did drain the battery QUICK!
    One of the big reasons why Apple didn't want to implement it on their devices. Adobe had indicated that they'd try advancing hardware accleration into the new code for 10.1 and higher that would help with this, but even that hasn't halped make Flash less power hungry than it aready was. For a mobile platform I guess the powers that be didn't find it appealing for people to run out of juice in less then an hour based on use of Flash content on the device.
    02-28-11 10:37 AM
    You should see my fully-charged laptop battery drain quickly when playing a
    flash video.
    02-28-11 03:46 PM
    One of the big reasons why Apple didn't want to implement it on their devices. Adobe had indicated that they'd try advancing hardware accleration into the new code for 10.1 and higher that would help with this, but even that hasn't halped make Flash less power hungry than it aready was. For a mobile platform I guess the powers that be didn't find it appealing for people to run out of juice in less then an hour based on use of Flash content on the device.
    I ended up jailbreaking it and I got what I was looking for. Flash support on Safari using UAF.

As for power consumption, the way I see it as the iPhone will be a replacement for lugging around a laptop so by getting as many features/options as possible close to a laptop, then that works for me. If it's lots of viewing videos for any length of time, I'll be somewhere where there's AC power anyway because if I need a charged phone and wont be around a power source for an extended amount of time, I won't be going crazy using power consuming toys to kill the battery.

And what's good is with the UAF, it can be enabled/disabled anytime so the option going back to mobile browsing is easy.
    Last edited by zwoof; 03-01-11 at 12:54 PM.
    03-01-11 12:50 PM
    If YouTube videos are all you're concerned with, use the built in YouTube app on the iPhone.
    Actually the web app works better than the native app because you can view videos in HQ over 3G.

To the OP just go to m.youtube.com on safari and add as web app.
    03-01-11 02:20 PM
    Actually the web app works better than the native app because you can view videos in HQ over 3G.

To the OP just go to m.youtube.com on safari and add as web app.
    Will that give me the same number of videos as going to YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. w/flash support? The m.youtube page has far less videos than the main page. The Youtube app is no better. It's fine if I can find something I'm looking for but if I can get the most out of the desktop style webpage w/ flash, thaen that's for me.

It's not just youtube. Much of my emails when sent a flash video can now be played on the iphone. I want as many options as possible and the jailbreak with the UAF option does exactly what I'm looking for.

It's all good
    03-01-11 05:40 PM
    I ended up jailbreaking it and I got what I was looking for. Flash support on Safari using UAF.
    Could you tell me what UAF is?
    03-01-11 09:31 PM
    UAF= User Agent Faker.
    03-01-11 10:16 PM
    UAF= User Agent Faker.
    Thanks, zwoof. I installed UAF and enabled Safari in the settings, but when I go to the South Park website, it still wont play the flash videos.
    03-02-11 06:54 AM
    If YouTube videos are all you're concerned with, use the built in YouTube app on the iPhone. All the videos and search results there are identical to the full website.

As for Flash, you'll need to Jailbreak it and install the Flash support module from Cedia. That's the only way you're going to be able to support Flash in the Safari browser. Only other option would be something like Skyfire, but even that doesn't support all Flash based video sites. Just use the YouTube app and be done with it. The video quality on it is high because it plays the HD content and not the mobile version like the BB platform does.

This part is incorrect, I am in the music business and there are plenty of artists that for whatever reasons, their videos DO NOT play on the mobile versions OR the iPhone App, if someone sends you a link email or FB for the video, you get an error msg once the youtube app opens than the user doesn't allow the video to be played on iPhones or could not load movie and the videos NEVER show up in the search results

Here's one example, take the artist Halestorm for example...

They have 4 videos from their debut CD... not a single one plays on an iPhone, prob has something to do with their label, not the artist

Try it for yourself lol
    03-02-11 10:13 AM
    This part is incorrect, I am in the music business and there are plenty of artists that for whatever reasons, their videos DO NOT play on the mobile versions OR the iPhone App, if someone sends you a link email or FB for the video, you get an error msg once the youtube app opens than the user doesn't allow the video to be played on iPhones or could not load movie and the videos NEVER show up in the search results

Here's one example, take the artist Halestorm for example...

They have 4 videos from their debut CD... not a single one plays on an iPhone, prob has something to do with their label, not the artist

Try it for yourself lol
    lol, perhaps I should have added the little licensing disclaimer to that statement, but I thought most people knew about it. There are some posters on YouTube that lock out their videos from mobile availability. When you upload a video, you're given this as an option. If that happens, of course you won't be able to view it on a mobile device unless you're using some id hacks to mask the fact that you're on a mobile device. They do this for various personal reasons or due to licensing agreements, etc. In this case, it's probably AtlanticVideos that's blocked it.
    03-02-11 10:25 AM
    yeah i'm sure it's some stupid thing like that... i just work for the bands not the labels so I'm always like WTF when i go to show someone one of the bands I work for, and I'll say this I don't work for Halestorm, but I do know them lol... I don't want it to end up to the media somehow that someone who works for a band is bashing youtube lol hey with the media this day in age.... you never know anymore... haha
    03-02-11 10:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD