How To Make iPhone Camera LED Notifications Work [Complete Guide]

The only thing is it's just the white LED flashing from the camera on the back. (I thought there was a small flash on front camera, I was wrong.) It just went off from a phone call. My phone was sitting on white paper on my desk, so didn't even notice it was working till I picked up the phone.

If you go through the steps at the link above, near the end after the hard reboot it says go back in and slide the LED notification to ON. (This is after turning it off in an early step.) When I went back in after reboot my LED notification was still set to ON, even though I had turned it off before reboot. So for the heck of it, without starting over, I slid LED to off, and then did the press, hold to slide it right back to ON again. It worked.

And like the article says, it might not work right away. I tried a test call to my device last night, didn't work. Got a text early this morning, didn't work. But did work mid-day today with the call I got. So you might want to give it some time.
    Last edited by periwinklemoon; 10-27-11 at 02:44 PM.
    joe_fresh likes this.
    10-27-11 02:41 PM
    Yup. Follow those tips. Worked for me just a min ago. I think only when screen is locked though
    10-27-11 06:19 PM
    Interesting. I'd still love a dedicated LED indicator though. The inner BB fan in me just can't kick the habit.
    10-27-11 06:37 PM
    I didn't catch that joe_fresh. Just did a couple test calls to device. Same for me, worked only when the screen is locked.

I'm in a bit dimmer environment than this afternoon when it went off. That LED is like a strobe light!

I thought I really missed all my colored alerts that I had on my Bold. But I also noticed on hectic days with Tasks, appointments, etc the rainbow of lights flashing was making me a little tense. I actually kind of like not having a light show going on. I guess this LED would be good for nighttime when you don't want your ringer or other alerts to go off.
    10-27-11 06:38 PM
    I shut mine off again. I need total dark at night and if this went off in the middle of the night I could be woke up lol. Nice that it is bright tho and only goes off when the alert goes off then stops
    periwinklemoon likes this.
    10-27-11 06:43 PM
    I hadn't even realized that it wasn't working till I read this. I followed the second part of the instructions and it's all good. Thx OP.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-11 06:14 AM
    You're welcome
    10-28-11 06:37 AM
    Using the LED camera flash as a notification light is counter-intuitive as its location requires users to put the device face down or handled with the screen away from the user, which few do. And, as noted above, the brightness of this lamp is something bordering on extreme overkill, too.

Its a pity that Apple, in an effort to ape a feature found and appreciated on other phones, spends no time or money on trying to recreate it in a way that would be, you know, useful.
    10-28-11 07:38 AM
    ok, this *may* be an !diotic question for you guys that are using the flash as a notifier--have you noticed if it had any add'l battery drain with it set?

Periwinkle, i have BeBuzz on my bb, with disco lights set to pink, purple, and everything inbetwn there are some days i wanna throw my bb cuz i'm sick of looking at them--so i understand what you've posted above about stressing with that. Although, at the same time, IDK if when i have my iP4S if it'll be a feature i'll go thru withdrawls on,lol, just because of the ocd'ness of having it--if you know what i mean.
    10-28-11 07:40 AM
    P1nk, those first few days without BerryBuzz threw me for a loop. I really thought it was going to be a big issue, because I was just so used to what each color told me.

It's OK now, I've adjusted to just glancing at the screen for the red balloon notification. A bonus, the urge to throw your phone from light show pressure will be gone, I had them too.

I can think of a couple scenarios I've not been in yet where I'd probably really miss it. And one alert I relied on heavily was severe weather, I used a green alert. That one I will miss. Especially when traveling.

Anyway, I turned the i4S LED alert off. It's just the camera flash going on and off in succession. Couldn't see it well with phone face up, don't want to set the phone face down, and it really is a bit much. I don't see a way to just turn it on for certain events (like weather). Guess it's all or nothing.

I can kind of see it taking a toll on the battery over time, but that's just a guess. I could more readily see you getting annoyed with the strobe effect. (The reason I turned it off.) It's pretty "in your face" when it's visible.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    10-28-11 08:58 AM
    P1nk, those first few days without BerryBuzz threw me for a loop. I really thought it was going to be a big issue, because I was just so used to what each color told me.

It's OK now, I've adjusted to just glancing at the screen for the red balloon notification. A bonus, the urge to throw your phone from light show pressure will be gone, I had them too.

I can think of a couple scenarios I've not been in yet where I'd probably really miss it. And one alert I relied on heavily was severe weather, I used a green alert. That one I will miss. Especially when traveling.

Anyway, I turned the i4S LED alert off. It's just the camera flash going on and off in succession. Couldn't see it well with phone face up, don't want to set the phone face down, and it really is a bit much. I don't see a way to just turn it on for certain events (like weather). Guess it's all or nothing.

I can kind of see it taking a toll on the battery over time, but that's just a guess. I could more readily see you getting annoyed with the strobe effect. (The reason I turned it off.) It's pretty "in your face" when it's visible.
    thx perwinkle. i'm sure for the first few days I may be "lookin" for that blink out of habit. BUT then again, IDK lol. As of right now, if my bb is out of my hands(which is alot these days) on the counter or in my handbag, i have memorized my rt's set, so even without looking at the light, i know by sound what is coming in so to speak. i hate to say it, but i use my iPad for just about everything now, unless i need to dwld something directly to my bb, then i pick it up. or for an email, tx, call.

As for the flash led on the iP, i guess i could try it out and see if i like it or not & if battery drain seems to be an issue or not but if its that much of 'in your face' kinda thing--ill prob wind up not using it as well and just adapting to the sounds of when things come in (like i do now)

Thx for your reply as well
    10-28-11 01:07 PM
    I can say that in general pink you will notice a complete difference on battery usage on the iPhone. Deffinately does not last nearly as long as even the 9550. But most people have access to a USB port and I usually charge mine up to full around noon. This phone is a cool toy and you won't put it down lol. As for the led alert I have not noticed any excess drain today on my battery but I was so busy I didn't have the time to even take phone calls on it and did not charge it at lunch and still at 60% battery
    10-28-11 03:45 PM
    Using the LED camera flash as a notification light is counter-intuitive as its location requires users to put the device face down or handled with the screen away from the user, which few do. And, as noted above, the brightness of this lamp is something bordering on extreme overkill, too.

Its a pity that Apple, in an effort to ape a feature found and appreciated on other phones, spends no time or money on trying to recreate it in a way that would be, you know, useful.
    It doesn't seem they intended it to be a status light (BB style) It seems they intended it to be more of a visually annoying (no sarcasm intended) indicator. Something that may attract your attention in a noisy room, or flash right through your jacket pocket in a movie theatre on silent. So it being in the front or the back is irrelevant--it only flashes during a call or sms. .. then it's. done.
    That being said tbough, you're right on the point that they coulda spent a couple of bucks and made a real STATUSl light. Very cheapskate-ish on their part.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-11 07:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD