It seems there's a way to put your phone into field test mode all the time. If you rather see dB than the bars, Do the following.

1. Launch field test mode by dialing *3001#12345#*
    2. Do a hard reset, by holding down the sleep and home buttons at the same time.

Then the phone powers back up again, it will show dB instead of the bars.

EDIT: Don't do this if you don't like it. I'm not sure how to get it back to normal. It's possible you might have to do a restore to get it back. I'm screwed. LOL

EDIT 2: Ok, figured it out. Just tap the numbers, and it goes back to the bars. Now it's like a toggle and goes back and forth each time I tap it.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 10-04-10 at 04:18 PM.
    10-04-10 04:02 PM
    For me, it shows the -db while on the field test mode screen that launches after I
    dial the number. Once I exit the screen it goes back to bars and I'm not able to tap
    between the two. Just stays as bars.

When I dialed and went to the field test mode screen, I didn't even exit it and instead
    did the hard reboot. Same thing. Bars only and not able to toggle
    10-04-10 04:34 PM
    For me, it shows the -db while on the field test mode screen that launches after I
    dial the number. Once I exit the screen it goes back to bars and I'm not able to tap
    between the two. Just stays as bars.

When I dialed and went to the field test mode screen, I didn't even exit it and instead
    did the hard reboot. Same thing. Bars only and not able to toggle
    You have to do the hard reset while the field test mode screen is up. Don't exit the field test app. Hard reset while the field test app is running.
    10-04-10 04:35 PM
    You have to do the hard reset while the field test mode screen is up. Don't exit the field test app. Hard reset while the field test app is running.
    Yeah, that's what I did

Lemme try again.
    10-04-10 04:40 PM
    Okay, works now lol
    Anilu7 likes this.
    10-04-10 04:42 PM
    It still works in 2017 so glad to see that. I'm leaving the numbers up as it gives way more info than the bars.
    07-30-17 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD