First thing's first. I'm not an Apple user. So my knowledge is limited on them. That's where you guys come in. I was wondering what exactly jailbreaking an iPhone does. What is the phone limited to if it isn't jailbroken?

Thanks in advance!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-11 11:47 PM
    Best place to go is here:

http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...11-8-10-a.html

Jailbreaking does not limit anything on the phone. It gives you more functionality and customization options. Read more on the link I posted. Also check out other threads in that forum. That's the best place to go for all things iOS like here is the best place for blackberry.
    05-14-11 08:51 AM
    Yeah I've been there a few times. I only have my phone for internet access for the time being and the site runs like crap while on my phone. Seems like they don't have a mobile version that I can access on my BlackBerry?

05-14-11 09:41 AM
    Yeah I've been there a few times. I only have my phone for internet access for the time being and the site runs like crap while on my phone. Seems like they don't have a mobile version that I can access on my BlackBerry?

Oh ok. I can post you some of the general info from that specific thread.
    05-14-11 10:44 AM
    What is Jailbreaking?

Jailbreaking is simply a process that allows for full write access on all partitions of the iPhone. During the jailbreak process, afc2 is also installed giving full file system access.

This is beneficial in that it allows you to install apps from sources other than Apple's app store, run tweaks and utilities that will give your device added functionality, and also will allow endless customization to your device.

These processes are completely legal and should not be confused with installing pirated material. Apple has no current method to see who is jailbroken and who is not jailbroken. There is really nothing to fear by jailbreaking your device as all changes are reversible and there is no added security risk whatsoever.

Why are some jailbreaks tethered?

During the boot process the device goes through several signature checks. If one of these checks fails, due to a jailbreak, the device will fail to boot. Tethering the device allows you to bootstrap to a boot sequence that skips the signature check altogether.

Since boot level exploits lead to failed signature checks they will have to be tethered unless they can work with certain userland tools to keep the jailbreak untethered after the initial tethering to implement the jailbreak.

Untethered - Can be rebooted without a Computer
    Tethered - Must be connected to a Computer at every reboot to maintain jailbreak

What is the Baseband?

The baseband manages all functions which require an antenna. The iPhone has its own baseband processor, RAM, and firmware in NOR flash. The baseband is merely a resource for the OS.

Can I "Brick" my device by Jailbreaking?

The short answer is, no. While it is theoretically possible to brick your device by flashing an invalid baseband bootloader or purposefully erasing your NOR, those are extremely advanced actions that will not be undertaken by the vast majority of users, especially by accident. It is IMPOSSIBLE to brick your device simply by jailbreaking it, since DFU mode and recovery mode will always be available to recover from a bad flash or a serious iOS error.

How Can I Jailbreak my Device?

There are several methods for Jailbreaking your device. Some things to consider before you jailbreak are:

1. What model device do you have?

- Different Jailbreaks work for different devices, make sure you are using the correct method for your device.

2. What firmware are you currently on?

- Don't rush in, make sure you have a plan of what you want to do so you don't end up losing the ability to jailbreak or unlock.

3. What firmware do you want to Jailbreak?

- Is the firmware able to be jailbroken? Does it upgrade your baseband?

4. Do you want to unlock your device?

- Can you currently unlock your device? Is the new firmware you are upgrading to available to unlock? If not, are there ways to maintain your current baseband?

5. Do you need hactivation?

- Do you need hactivation? Does the jailbreak method have hactivation included?

6. What computer are you using to jailbreak (if a computer is needed)?

- Make sure the method you want to use, works for your computer as some only work for PC or Mac.

Is Jailbreaking Reversible?

Jailbreaking is 100% reversible. It's as simple as reflashing your device with Apple firmware through updating or restoring on iTunes. All traces of your jailbreak will be removed and your device will seem brand new. Apple will not be able to tell that your device was ever jailbroken. Your device can be re-jailbroken afterwards as well. If something does go wrong, and you get an error, put your phone in recovery mode and restore it using iTunes.
    05-14-11 10:48 AM
    That is some of the info from the thread. So in short most of us jailbreak to allow certain functionality blocked by Apple or the carrier, get apps that are good but not allowed in the appstore and customization options.

For instance I only jailbreak for 3 apps. MyWifi - Tethering, iBlacklist - call blocking and lockCal - put my calendar on my lock screen. But there are tons of other things you can do to add tweaks and change some system settings not available out the box. You can download notification programs, app switchers, apps to watch movies etc....

So besides all the technical mumbo jumbo that jailbreaking actually does for your phone, these are the things most users do it for.
    05-14-11 10:52 AM
    Cool. Thanks for doing that for me. I can see why people want to jailbreak their iphones.

05-14-11 11:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD