Long-time BB user here with a few email questions that I hope to have answered before making the switch.

I have a 1st generation iPod Touch with software v3.1.3 on it so although I am a little familiar with email setup...I am not familiar with the ios 4.x enhancements.

(I use 2 separate Gmail accounts, 1 yahoo, and 1 POP)

-Is there true email reconciliation on the iPhone 4? Do I have a choice to delete messages on just the handheld/server or both? I know this may depend on imap or pop restrictions. There are plenty of times I want to clean up the inboxes on my phone, but keep the mail in the inbox (although marked as read) on the server.

-Is there a way to simply mark more than one email at a time as read or even delete more than one email at a time?

-I read you can only use one Gmail account with Exchange for true push email, and I'm not interested in forwarding one to the other. Would my other Gmail account, yahoo account and pop be downgraded to a timed fetch status?

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to answer.
    01-11-11 11:19 PM
    [QUOTE=hugecanoli;5945545]

-Is there true email reconciliation on the iPhone 4?
    Yes.
    Do I have a choice to delete messages on just the handheld/server or both?
    You can set up your email to have it "archived" for gmail which will show you a folder instead of a trash can.
    For POP accounts, you can go in and select what you want your phone to do when clicking delete..having it to delete it from both places, or just from the phone or leave it on the server for 7 days or leave it on indefinitely.

For simple Yahoo mail (not the pro version) there isn't any options as far as I noticed.
    -Is there a way to simply mark more than one email at a time as read or even delete more than one email at a time?
    yes. You click "edit" in the upper right hand corner in the email box view and mark the ones you want to delete.

-I read you can only use one Gmail account with Exchange for true push email, and I'm not interested in forwarding one to the other. Would my other Gmail account, yahoo account and pop be downgraded to a timed fetch status?

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to answer.
    As far as I know yes for yahoo .although yahoo says in the options, that it's a "push"....but since I just periodically click on the mail button to manually fetch my mails..especially when I'm waiting for a mail I can't confirm that it's a real push.
    01-12-11 12:20 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to respond.

If I use one gmail with exchange (I'm assuming doing this ensures true push) and the other without, does the non-exchange gmail account push or fetch?

And if it does fetch, whats the advantage to setting it up via exchange?

So for yahoo (normal account that I use for forums,etc) there is no real reconciliation like there is on the BB?

One last question...is there limit to the actual number of emails you can have on the phone, and if so what happens when you hit that mark?

Email is the lifeline of my business, and its the main reason I've stayed with my BB for so long.

Thanks again!
    01-12-11 12:34 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to respond.

If I use one gmail with exchange (I'm assuming doing this ensures true push) and the other without, does the non-exchange gmail account push or fetch?
    gmails exchange server is made to enable push so if you use the standard setup then you have fetch.

And if it does fetch, whats the advantage to setting it up via exchange?
    Some say fetch has better battery use but so many apps are using push i think its a non-issue. Exchange seems to force delete whereas standard setup allows you to choose if deletes only occur on handset or both. If you do what Shodan suggests you should be fine though.

So for yahoo (normal account that I use for forums,etc) there is no real reconciliation like there is on the BB?
    Not sure what you mean by this

One last question...is there limit to the actual number of emails you can have on the phone, and if so what happens when you hit that mark?
    My phone is setup for i believe a month. Once you go beyond the selected span they are just purged virtually. I had a shorter span and once i extended them the messages where back immediately. Everything is still on outlook at home
    01-12-11 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD