I have had my iPhone 4 for a little over a month now and loving it so far. One thing that is bugging me though is Apple or AT&T or both have restricted FaceTime calling to only Wi-Fi and disabled it on 3G. Video calling apps such as Vtok, Tango, Skype, etc... all are operational over 3G. With Google announcing today that GoogleTalk video calling will now be part of the OS and be available to use over Wi-Fi or 3G, does anyone think that Apple/AT&T/Verizon will loosen the reigns a bit on this ridiculous restriction?

04-28-11 08:37 PM
    Nope. I doubt it because I highly believe it is a limitation from Mr. Jobs himself and he is very stubborn. I heard the reason Apple doesn't like Flash is because Steve has a long term standing grudge from years ago against Adobe and that is why. I heard it on Security Now and Leo Laporte was saying it. So I don't know how true it is but that is my source. Hehe.

But if it bothers you just use Skype. I mean a lot of people use it and you can connect to computers anyway.
    04-29-11 03:16 PM
    That would be real bad if that was the reason.

Want an ipad 2, and no flash is an issue. Not sure if the flash apps are any good?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-11 03:05 AM
    I have had my iPhone 4 for a little over a month now and loving it so far. One thing that is bugging me though is Apple or AT&T or both have restricted FaceTime calling to only Wi-Fi and disabled it on 3G. Video calling apps such as Vtok, Tango, Skype, etc... all are operational over 3G. With Google announcing today that GoogleTalk video calling will now be part of the OS and be available to use over Wi-Fi or 3G, does anyone think that Apple/AT&T/Verizon will loosen the reigns a bit on this ridiculous restriction?

So what's the big deal? Just use Tango or Skype. An alternative would be to use the Force!
    04-30-11 09:43 AM
    I really think the WiFi restriction is due to an already overloaded at&t network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-11 09:05 PM
    Yeah, AT&T put limits on their data plans and allowing 3G FaceTime would've made everyone go over their limits quickly then there would be chaos of everyone blaming AT&T...etc etc

There is a JailBreak hack to fool the iPhone to force it to use 3G FaceTime though. Perfect if you are on Verizon which has unlimited data.
    05-02-11 04:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD