I just had my first Facetime video chat with my cousin and it was magnificent! I've done skype before, but being able to show them what I'm looking at is awesome while not having to carry the laptop around and holding the webcam at the same time which sucks!

I must say that the iPhone is the most beast phone I've ever owned!

Share your first Facetime experience!
    05-09-11 07:50 PM
    I haven't used facetime yet but the iPhone is definitely a great phone.
    05-09-11 08:55 PM
    I use Facetime on my iMac.

Not really interested in the video chat thing for whatever reason.
    05-09-11 09:33 PM
    I have on my iPod 4th gen
    05-11-11 01:42 PM
    FaceTime is great. I have used it on my iPhone and iPad 2. The video and audio quality is the best that I have seen on any smartphone this far. We are really getting into it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-11 04:53 AM
    FaceTime is definately nice! Don't use it a lot, but when I do it still amazes me what Apple has done with this i4, can't wait to see what innovations they have in store for us with the i5.
    05-15-11 07:35 AM
    I've used Facetime twice. When the phone first came out. To see what it was all
    about. Haven't used it since.
    05-15-11 01:02 PM
    The only down side I see is that you can only use it when you have wifi.
    05-15-11 01:30 PM
    The only down side I see is that you can only use it when you have wifi.
    I you ever jailbreak you can use "3G Unrestrictor" to bypass that.
    05-15-11 02:28 PM
    facetime is great, my only complain is i wish i could use it over 3G and not have to jailbreak!
    05-23-11 08:12 PM
    facetime is great, my only complain is i wish i could use it over 3G and not have to jailbreak!
    I agree. I just don't feel like jailbreaking it and the phone not working again or something that I messed up.
    05-24-11 10:54 AM
    It's hard to find people to FaceTime with. If anyone interested jus hit me up [email protected]
    08-30-11 10:21 PM
    I FaceTime with my girlfriend whenever we're away for a while. It's an awesome feature. Used it last night actually.

Hasn't worked real well on my Mac to her iPhone 4 though.
    08-31-11 12:50 AM
    I just had my first Facetime video chat with my cousin and it was magnificent! I've done skype before, but being able to show them what I'm looking at is awesome while not having to carry the laptop around and holding the webcam at the same time which sucks!

I must say that the iPhone is the most beast phone I've ever owned!

Share your first Facetime experience!
    You do know that Nokia came up with the front facing camera that could "facetime" over UMTS years before the iPhone... right... just saying.
    08-31-11 02:18 AM
    You do know that Nokia came up with the front facing camera that could "facetime" over UMTS years before the iPhone... right... just saying.

your right nokia had it 1st on the e71 but the issue there is that phone was not offered by any carrier in the united states(that i know of). You had to buy the phone directly from nokia for 600+ dollars then pop in your sim card.

they sold almost 500 million of them but 75% of those sales were international.
    08-31-11 08:50 AM
    Invented, improved, or perfected....what does it matter? In the end, the consumer wins.

Just sayin'.
    08-31-11 11:00 AM
    I am talking about the fact that in the USA, people seem to be excited for anything Apple does, and think its so innovative when really something like facetime has been on other phones for a while and its nothing new. That's all.
    08-31-11 04:51 PM
    I am talking about the fact that in the USA, people seem to be excited for anything Apple does, and think its so innovative when really something like facetime has been on other phones for a while and its nothing new. That's all.

apple just makes them better and brings them to the mainstream
    08-31-11 05:46 PM
    I'll give apple this

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    08-31-11 05:55 PM
    You just (partially) contradicted yourself.

As a general overview of technologies, perhaps. Not sure if "makes them better" refers directly to video calling or some of their features in general. Features in general, debatable on "better" or bringing it "mainstream," but they definitely can stir interest in things that have been here for a while.

However, for Video Calling:

You just said on the prior page that "your right nokia had it 1st on the e71...they sold almost 500 million of them but 75% of those sales were international."

Now you're saying that Apple brings it to the mainstream? Apple just made it popular in the US, nothing more. The e71 was one of the first of many phones to have video calling internationally, so it's been 'mainstream' for years now, it's just the US has lagged behind because of carrier support for video data transfer over their network. Better OS wise? I'm still iffy on that. Prettier? Yes. Only between iPhones for a while when other phones had front facing cameras? Not really open and not ideal in all situations or international calling when it first rolled out. Spec wise? Expected with upgrades.

Anyway, I agree with GolfnCPA that as long as technology as a whole moves forward, I'm fine with companies fighting amongst themselves for the benefit of consumer's money

In terms of video chats themselves, I honestly use Skype more than anything due to the rest of my family owning Windows-based machines. Having FaceTime on my Mac and iPod....I don't use it at all just because video calling just really isn't there yet (especially over phones). It's nifty, it's useful, but I honestly find myself using my computer more-so than a handheld device. So for FaceTime, I've used it when I first got it to see it, but it honestly does nothing personally for me that Skype hasn't been able to do for a while now (for how I live my life anyway).
    09-01-11 12:23 AM
    I love using it to see my wife and kids from the office. And somehow it's always alot more solid and stable than other video chat platforms. Btw. Here's a tip..... I was at a hockey game with my business partner. My oldest kid calls me from home and asks why she can't get through to me on FaceTime from our iPad. I said-- "sorry kitty cat.... I'm not on wifi". BUT... I proceeded to grab my partner's iphone, turn on his hotspot, log into his hotspot with MY iPhone, and voila!! I was on wifi and my kid was able to FaceTime me.
    I'm mostly a BB guy but you gotta love the Apple stuff. :-).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    kwalia71 likes this.
    09-01-11 05:33 AM
    Video chat over 3G is iffy at best. I like using the video chat feature over wifi because it is more stable and the video quality is better. It may be the reason why Apple limited FaceTime to wifi only so that the experience was of high quality.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.650703,-88.167373
    09-15-11 07:45 PM
    Never used it - too many situational restrictions: has to be to another Facetime capable device and has to be over wi-fi.

Gotta say it feels like more of a gimmick for tween girls, when texting just isn't good (or private) enough.
    09-16-11 10:08 AM
    Never used it - too many situational restrictions: has to be to another Facetime capable device and has to be over wi-fi.

Gotta say it feels like more of a gimmick for tween girls, when texting just isn't good (or private) enough.
    Video and voice are cool technologies, I was using them for years using webcams on my pc, then my camera on my laptop. Was able to do this tethered to my BB.

So the technology to do this is cool, however, I don't think quality FaceTime over 3g will ever be a reality. 4g maybe. Might as well just take a picture and email it.
    09-16-11 10:33 AM

Not just for teenage girls. When I go on business trips I like to do video chat with my wife and little girl. Also, we do video chat with my daughter's grandparents. And sometimes it's just nice to see someone's face when you are talking to them.
    09-17-11 05:00 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD