How does the Facebook app on the iPhone work? Does it integrate messages and updates into an inbox like the App on a BlackBerry does? Or do you have to open the App to check for new messages? Basically, do you get real-time notifications on the iPhone (like a BB)?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-09 08:02 PM
    I don't, sometimes. I use G-Push which gives me most of my notifications apps.
    When my G-Push notifies me of new mail, it puts up a # of notifications on the fb application. I took a look at the settings on the iphone and the only two settings you can use are shake for vibrate (on/off) and something else. As far as I can tell, it's not real time notifications and you've gotta reload/open it up each time to check your wall/updates/msgs/etc.
    11-23-09 09:02 PM
    No fb does not have push notification yet so u need to open the app and it'll fetch any updates.

Workarounds include having email notifications to alert you
    or
    download an app called boxcar (i think it's free now).
    11-23-09 10:33 PM
    Yeah email notifications for now. I'm sure PUSH will come soon. The iphone FB app beats the living crap out of the BB one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 01:13 AM
    That's the thing (Push). I thought Apple set up Push servers for things like the FB app so that you could use it to get real-time updates. I REALLY want to like the iPhone, it is simply awesome. But there are so many things that I take for granted on my BB that I think I would have to give up if I switched.

If I have a Hotmail account associated with my FB account, can I at least get real-time notifications of email, and subsequently FB updates? Or does Hotmail not support Push notifications either?

Thanks!
    11-25-09 11:48 AM
    hotmail doesnt support push notifications on the iphone. boxcar is an option, or a new app called mailnotifier. it will push hotmail to your phone and give you an alert when one comes in. then just open your facebook app. i use the same basic format with gpush.
    11-25-09 03:42 PM
    I also have a hotmail account associated with my FB, and although it is not push, hotmail can be set to fetch at 15 minute intervals, so it's not a big deal in my opinion because you can still get email notifications every 15 minutes if you've got any FB updates.
    11-25-09 06:54 PM
    If you're using a jailbroken phone you can get PushMod which let's you change the intervals to 1, 3 or 5 minute fetch intervals
    11-26-09 09:17 AM
    That's the thing (Push). I thought Apple set up Push servers for things like the FB app so that you could use it to get real-time updates. I REALLY want to like the iPhone, it is simply awesome. But there are so many things that I take for granted on my BB that I think I would have to give up if I switched.

If I have a Hotmail account associated with my FB account, can I at least get real-time notifications of email, and subsequently FB updates? Or does Hotmail not support Push notifications either?

Thanks!
    The facebook app needs to integrate the push services.
    11-26-09 11:50 AM
    All this talk about push problems on iphone are solved so easy.
    Make a gmail account (I DONT CARE IF U DONT WANT ONE) in a gmail account u can add up to 5 different email accounts(hotmail, showbizpizzamail) whatever.
    Then setup the gmail as it will show you on the page as gmail supports PUSH if u set it up as exchange. DONE all your email will now be push and you can even send email as whatever email is being forwared to that main gmail account.
    11-26-09 04:40 PM
    ...and you can even send email as whatever email is being forwared to that main gmail account.
    How do you do that?
    11-26-09 04:43 PM
    once u have gmail go to settings and accounts and import. Once you verify the account u add you'll be able to send email from another address though gmail. Just make sure to setup the MAIN gmail account on the phone through exchange(no you dont need exchange) yah you'll have to spend 5 min but onces its done it's done and it works. After that just think of the gmail account you made as you login if u dont want to use gmail.
    11-26-09 04:58 PM
    once u have gmail go to settings and accounts and import. Once you verify the account u add you'll be able to send email from another address though gmail. Just make sure to setup the MAIN gmail account on the phone through exchange(no you dont need exchange) yah you'll have to spend 5 min but onces its done it's done and it works. After that just think of the gmail account you made as you login if u dont want to use gmail.
    Thanks but it only gives the option to import for the next 30 days, is there any way to extend that?
    11-26-09 05:20 PM
    I just checked out my wife's Hotmail account and it looks like you can only forward it to another MS type service/domain. Not a Gmail account. Darn. I guess the 15 minute interval isn't that bad. I just with Apple would let all the different email services out there run through their Push servers.
    11-26-09 05:37 PM
    I just checked out my wife's Hotmail account and it looks like you can only forward it to another MS type service/domain. Not a Gmail account. Darn. I guess the 15 minute interval isn't that bad. I just with Apple would let all the different email services out there run through their Push servers.
    Use Gmail to retrieve the emails, sign in to your gmail account, go to settings then accounts and imports then Check mail using POP3

Just got mine working
    11-26-09 05:43 PM
    If you're jailbroken you can also use an app called PushMod that lets you change that interval to 1, 3, 5 or 10 minutes.
    11-26-09 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD