As opposed to taking out your smartphone in public which is basically pointing an arrow to yourself and saying "I'm now going to enter my passcode on this device."
    Or the arrow pointing at you saying "come grab this out of my hand and run"
    12-09-14 03:46 PM
    I've got a friend who routinely walks away from her computer which she doesn't lock. And she leaves herself logged onto FB. So her daughter comes over and posts ridiculous statements like "the rabbit died" or "I just got married to my boyfriend when he was on parole" or better yet, this week, "I'm a reindeer."

Practical jokers don't need to grab your phone. And as I said, the people in my life are respectful of my things as I am of theirs. Tanya.....well,....it's her mum....
    Respecting someone and playing a practical joke on someone are two totally unrelated things. In fact, I am more inclined to play a practical joke on someone I respect more than someone I don't because the people I respect I know would be able to handle it. You people who are razzing on the OP are a touch too sensitive in my opinion.
    12-09-14 04:20 PM
    I have a password that only my twin brother and myself know. I have used a finger print scanner in the past, but always with additional security such as a numeric password.

It's no different then the Note 4 fingerprint scanner, same situation, but just so happen to be an iPhone so the press jumped all over it.
    12-09-14 04:56 PM
    I see people unlocking their iPhones all the time in public, not even trying to hide their lock code, I can see it in plain sight and since it's 4 digits, it's pretty easy to remember. Not to mention that I've seen so many codes that are 2222 or 8888, or 0000 or 4567.

I LOVE my picture password, a person can look at me unlock my phone a dozen times and they still wouldn't be able to unlock my phone. In fact, when someone sees me unlock my phone for the first time and asks what that is, I challenge them to unlock my phone after showing myself unlocking it 5-6 times.

Even Microsoft's picture password on the Surface sucks. Although making gestures on the screen harder to remember than a 4 digit code, unless you make some really obscure gestures, which also increases chance of the actual user screwing up the gestures and having to repeat it, which gives more chance for someone else to see the gestures, it is still a lot more crackable than BB's implementation.
    thymaster likes this.
    12-09-14 05:11 PM
    I see people unlocking their iPhones all the time in public, not even trying to hide their lock code, I can see it in plain sight and since it's 4 digits, it's pretty easy to remember. Not to mention that I've seen so many codes that are 2222 or 8888, or 0000 or 4567.

I LOVE my picture password, a person can look at me unlock my phone a dozen times and they still wouldn't be able to unlock my phone. In fact, when someone sees me unlock my phone for the first time and asks what that is, I challenge them to unlock my phone after showing myself unlocking it 5-6 times.

Even Microsoft's picture password on the Surface sucks. Although making gestures on the screen harder to remember than a 4 digit code, unless you make some really obscure gestures, which also increases chance of the actual user screwing up the gestures and having to repeat it, which gives more chance for someone else to see the gestures, it is still a lot more crackable than BB's implementation.
    LOL!!!! So if someone has a gun to your head you won't reveal your password. Riiiiight....

As far as the iPhone code, you can choose a simple password or change it to an alphanumeric complex. Or use Touch ID. Your choice.
    Even a 7 Year Old Boy Can Break into an iPhone 6 Fingerprint Touch ID Technology-imageuploadedbytapatalk1418167776.271089.jpg
    Even a 7 Year Old Boy Can Break into an iPhone 6 Fingerprint Touch ID Technology-imageuploadedbytapatalk1418167788.457315.jpg

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    12-09-14 05:30 PM
    Respecting someone and playing a practical joke on someone are two totally unrelated things. In fact, I am more inclined to play a practical joke on someone I respect more than someone I don't because the people I respect I know would be able to handle it. You people who are razzing on the OP are a touch too sensitive in my opinion.
    OP has an opinion. Some of us are countering. That's what a discussion is.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6
    12-09-14 05:31 PM
    LOL!!!! So if someone has a gun to your head you won't reveal your password. Riiiiight....

As far as the iPhone code, you can choose a simple password or change it to an alphanumeric complex. Or use Touch ID. Your choice.
    Well regardless if someone is holding a gun to my head or not, if I give out my password, then it's no longer secure, right? I am not sure how mentioning using a gun to force a password out of someone is relevant to a password discussion.

And as for alpha numeric password, all it does is increase complexity, but you still need to type it out. Unless someone is hiding their screen when they type out a password, then someone looking at the screen with the intention of stealing your password would still be able to do it. And as for touch ID, what is the title of this thread that we are currently in?

Even if someone had a photographic memory, or took a video of me unlocking my screen, they still wouldn't be able to unlock my phone in the 10 tries BB gives someone before the phone is bricked (unless they got REALLY lucky).
    buwee likes this.
    12-09-14 05:42 PM
    OP has an opinion. Some of us are countering. That's what a discussion is.
    Very true, and my opinion is that "You people who are razzing on the OP are a touch too sensitive in my opinion."

In other words, my opinion is that a practical joke is just that, and not some attempt by the OP to "hack and destroy security and betray the trust of his friend sleeping over at his house."
    12-09-14 05:45 PM
    Very true, and my opinion is that "You people who are razzing on the OP are a touch too sensitive in my opinion."

In other words, my opinion is that a practical joke is just that, and not some attempt by the OP to "hack and destroy security and betray the trust of his friend sleeping over at his house."
    We could do this forever. My opinion is that you are being too sensitive to a challenge.

Your turn.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-09-14 05:51 PM
    All I can say is that I absolutely love Touch ID. It's one of those features that are perfectly well implemented, without you consciously thinking about it and that provide great utility. When I click on my home button and keep holding my finger on it, the phone will be unlocked within a second, hundreds of times a day. This is undeniably a huge convenience that you don't want to miss anymore once you've used it. Passwords, even picture passwords, are needlessly time-consuming. I had moments where I couldn't be bothered unlocking my phone at all, I even thought about extending the lock timer. Sure, as with all biometric security features, they are vulnerable to force and coercion. However, as a user this is all up to you, you don't have to use Touch ID if you don't want to. I am not worried that my family and friends will abuse my trust that much, all things considered, I think Touch ID protects my phone against two kinds of people very well: thieves and people I don't trust.
    12-09-14 05:54 PM
    Well regardless if someone is holding a gun to my head or not, if I give out my password, then it's no longer secure, right? I am not sure how mentioning using a gun to force a password out of someone is relevant to a password discussion.

And as for alpha numeric password, all it does is increase complexity, but you still need to type it out. Unless someone is hiding their screen when they type out a password, then someone looking at the screen with the intention of stealing your password would still be able to do it. And as for touch ID, what is the title of this thread that we are currently in?

Even if someone had a photographic memory, or took a video of me unlocking my screen, they still wouldn't be able to unlock my phone in the 10 tries BB gives someone before the phone is bricked (unless they got REALLY lucky).
    It is relevant because when there is a password there is always the human factor. If someone wishes to force the issue to get into a device that utilises picture password, they will succeed through force. So, it is relevant because even with picture password you will give it up if your life depended on it.

You like picture password and I never used it. To-may-to, to-mah-to. Different strokes, etc. The likelihood of someone breaking into my device by forcibly putting my finger on it is about as high as me registering Republican for the next election. Possible. Improbable.
    12-09-14 05:56 PM
    Thanks BBUiq01

Geez people have a sense of humour. Obviously I don't have sleepover anymore.

The whole point of this thread is Apple Finger print scanning has a flaw and there are endless things a person can do to your phone if it can be access that easily.

It doesn't have to be the authorities or a thief getting access into your privacy but it might as well be someone close to you like your friends and family. Scary thought.
    Don't worry we get it, you know the saying common sense isn't common to all especially in the sheep department. You have to remember that these sheep's wonder over to greener pastures to eat, while they love poking fun at others as soon as you mention theirs they get the knickers in a bind.

This is the very reason bb past on this year's back when other thought this is the wave of the future, thank god for good vision .

A friend of mines did that to another friend as well they changed his status ending his relationship with his then girlfriend and engaged in a openly gay relationship with his best friend, and professing his love for him lol his girlfriend was not please by this one bit lol and he was furious but he also had updates sent via email as well so he realized and changed it back. Was a good laugh

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    thymaster likes this.
    12-09-14 05:57 PM
    All I can say is that I absolutely love Touch ID. It's one of those features that are perfectly well implemented, without you consciously thinking about it and that provide great utility. When I click on my home button and hold my finger on it, the phone will be unlocked within a second, hundreds of times a day. This is undeniably a huge convenience that you don't want to miss anymore once you've used it. Passwords, even picture passwords, are needlessly time-consuming. I had moments where I couldn't be bothered unlocking my phone at all, I even thought about extending the lock timer. Sure, as with all biometric security features, they are vulnerable to force and coercion. However, as a user this is all up to you, you don't have to use Touch ID if you don't want to. I am not worried that my family and friends will abuse my trust that much, all things considered, I think Touch ID protects my phone against two kinds of people very well: thieves and people I don't trust.
    You know what I love???? Paying for my coffee with AutoPay....tap, fingerprint, go....SO convenient....
    12-09-14 05:57 PM
    sad for apple lol...
    12-09-14 05:59 PM
    BlackBerry should use funny things like this for a commercial. Quick spot touting BlackBerry security and password features then cut to a 5 - 7 year old kid using a sleeping parent's finger to unlock a competitor's phone. "BlackBerry security. It can even help you avoid life's "little" security issues."
    shaleem likes this.
    12-09-14 06:01 PM

Yea I see it all the time as well lol
    My ex takes the cake, she would sometimes speak her password when she puts it in that's if she even have her phone lock in the 1st place and sometimes when we go out, she would leave her phone at the counter on chairs all over the place I had to be constantly behind her picking it up.

Last edited by Originalloverman; 12-09-14 at 06:18 PM.
    12-09-14 06:06 PM

Yeap cannot think of a single event in which a robber would come with a gun to your head to unlock your phone most would just grab and run, which you can always wipe your phone remotely either way

12-09-14 06:14 PM
    Is the fingerprint stored local or in the cloud?

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 06:15 PM
    Is the fingerprint stored local or in the cloud?
    It's local, stored within a secure enclave on the chip that can only be accessed by Touch ID itself.
    12-09-14 06:17 PM
    It's local, stored within a secure enclave on the chip that can only be accessed by Touch ID itself.
    What happens when the screen is cracked or even bend what then ?

12-09-14 06:21 PM
    What happens when the screen is cracked or even bend what then ?
    You get it repaired or a replacement?
    12-09-14 06:26 PM
    Thanks BBUiq01

Geez people have a sense of humour. Obviously I don't have sleepover anymore.

The whole point of this thread is Apple Finger print scanning has a flaw and there are endless things a person can do to your phone if it can be access that easily.

It doesn't have to be the authorities or a thief getting access into your privacy but it might as well be someone close to you like your friends and family. Scary thought.
    Maybe I am just different, but this is not a scary thought for me. I trust my friends and family otherwise they wouldn't be close enough to me to make use of this so-called exploit. Do you really lock your phone because the thought of your friends and family gaining access to it scares you?
    12-09-14 06:34 PM
    Don't worry we get it, you know the saying common sense isn't common to all especially in the sheep department. You have to remember that these sheep's wonder over to greener pastures to eat, while they love poking fun at others as soon as you mention theirs they get the knickers in a bind.

This is the very reason bb past on this year's back when other thought this is the wave of the future, thank god for good vision .

A friend of mines did that to another friend as well they changed his status ending his relationship with his then girlfriend and engaged in a openly gay relationship with his best friend, and professing his love for him lol his girlfriend was not please by this one bit lol and he was furious but he also had updates sent via email as well so he realized and changed it back. Was a good laugh

You actually had some decent points until you went the sheep route. Now you just look like a fanboy trying to justify what he says by calling other sheep.
    shaleem and MikeX74 like this.
    12-09-14 06:37 PM
    As opposed to taking out your smartphone in public which is basically pointing an arrow to yourself and saying "I'm now going to enter my passcode on this device."
    Picture password...

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 06:38 PM
    You know what I love???? Paying for my coffee with AutoPay....tap, fingerprint, go....SO convenient....
    I hope that Apple is making haste with the international rollout, though there is not a great urgency here, since my current method of payment is very quick these days.

I like that Touch ID is tied into my apps as well. It actually allows me to use difficult passwords in more places, since I don't have to enter these passwords so often anymore. I did that with 1Password, for example. My master password is now a lot longer and more difficult, because I only have to enter it very rarely.
    12-09-14 06:48 PM
221 1234 ...