I have ordered the Iphone 4 and I am going to ebay off my 3g 8gb model once I get the new one in. I am curious as to a good price to ask for it. It has some scratches on the back from sand/dirt getting under the cover and the mute button is missing on the side. Outside of that it is upgraded to the latest firmware not jailbroken, still locked to at&t and the front screen is flawless.

I am seeing buy it now's at $200 and then open bids starting at 50-60 and up.

Thanks for any input
    06-18-10 11:05 AM
    How are folks bidding on something that isn't available yet?
    06-18-10 11:15 AM
    I have ordered the Iphone 4 and I am going to ebay off my 3g 8gb model once I get the new one in. I am curious as to a good price to ask for it. It has some scratches on the back from sand/dirt getting under the cover and the mute button is missing on the side. Outside of that it is upgraded to the latest firmware not jailbroken, still locked to at&t and the front screen is flawless.

I am seeing buy it now's at $200 and then open bids starting at 50-60 and up.

Thanks for any input

The best way to sell it is start bidding at .99 and let it run no reserve... sold my 3gs yesterday for $288 ... love it
    06-18-10 11:28 AM
    not the Iphone 4 but the Iphone 3g is what I am looking at prices on ebay. I am trying and get a feel for what I can/should ask for my old iphone.
    06-18-10 11:28 AM
    The best way to sell it is start bidding at .99 and let it run no reserve... sold my 3gs yesterday for $288 ... love it
    Please tell me you sold a 16gb?
    06-18-10 11:39 AM
    Sure did... 16 gb black lol
    06-18-10 11:50 AM
    I listed my white 32GB iPhone 3Gs as buy it now for 500 with my reserve set at 420.

It didn't sell and barely passed 300.

I won't settle for less then 400, the iPod alone is worth it.
    06-18-10 12:20 PM
    I listed my white 32GB iPhone 3Gs as buy it now for 500 with my reserve set at 420.

It didn't sell and barely passed 300.

I won't settle for less then 400, the iPod alone is worth it.

Run it no reserve i can guarantee you'll get what you want, go look at all the 32gb's on there now bringing good money, they are almost ALL NR auctions... and the real bidding really won't start til the last 12 hours.. i watched mine triple in price
    06-18-10 12:36 PM
    Run it no reserve i can guarantee you'll get what you want, go look at all the 32gb's on there now bringing good money, they are almost ALL NR auctions... and the real bidding really won't start til the last 12 hours.. i watched mine triple in price
    The four best ways to maximize the price on ebay in my experience are:
    (1) Carefully select the time the auction will end. You want bidders to be available and watching the auction. Ending at 2am Pacific time on a weekday for a US-only sale doesn't work as well as ending at 7pm Pacific time on a Tuesday evening.
    (2) Put a bunch of good, clear, well lit photos showing the condition of the screen, case, etc. Point out any known defects. Full disclosure builds trust.
    (3) Start bidding at $0.99 and no reserve. For some reason it throws people off when you start at $300 or have a reserve. Maybe it draws more interest or something. If you pay attention to #1 and #2, you'll get a solid price. Will it be what you want? Yes, if you've educated yourself about what the going market price is -- if you think it's worth more than market and don't prove that value to potential buyers, you won't get it whether or not you do a reserve price.
    (4) Have a long history with ebay and 100% rating. Again, people pay more if they trust the seller.

With that said, I'm not sure a 3GS 32GB will fetch $400 today no matter how clean. Not since the iphone4 was announced. But I could be wrong. It happens sometimes.
    06-18-10 01:14 PM
    I'm craigslisting mine. Can get it sold a lot quicker and a very good price.
    06-18-10 01:18 PM
    here's a prime example of what i'd earlier... and this one isn't even jailbroken or unlocked lol

Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB, Great condition! - eBay (item 330442823845 end time Jun-18-10 11:48:16 PDT)
    06-18-10 01:37 PM
    Damn... I probably won't even see the number "4"
    to the right of the $ sign.
    06-18-10 01:44 PM
    I'm just thrilled they are bringing some top dollar used.... still flabbergasted that the 16 gigger pulled almost $300 lol
    06-18-10 01:51 PM
    As long as I make back what I paid for both the iPhone 4s then I'm good. So I would need to get 500 in total for both of the 3GS.
    06-18-10 01:55 PM
    Damn... I probably won't even see the number "4"
    to the right of the $ sign.
    Oh, sure you will. Trouble is there's likely to be some other digit between the "$" and the "4".

I read a post somewhere recently where the person said they've gotten in the habit of always selling their iphone a month before WWDC. Kind of sounds like a clever idea if you have a way to limp along with something else.
    06-18-10 01:57 PM
    Oh, sure you will. Trouble is there's likely to be some other digit between the "$" and the "4".

I read a post somewhere recently where the person said they've gotten in the habit of always selling their iphone a month before WWDC. Kind of sounds like a clever idea if you have a way to limp along with something else.
    I could have sworn I wrote "directly after the $ sign"

Dang... had a brain fart I guess.

I actually had that idea, just didn't want to part ways
    yet and actually thought about keeping it.

I had a $550 local offer and $600 to ship offer about a
    week or less before WWDC. It was unlocked and JBed
    at the time.
    06-18-10 03:01 PM
    I just bought a 3gs 32 gig for $375, guess I should have waited a little longer... Oh well I am getting the phone I wanted finally.
    06-20-10 05:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD