My wife bought one of the first release iPhone 4s and absolutley hates it. Constantly dropping calls. She's tried 2 different cases and no help. Is the bumper an actual fix, or are there any new updates? Are the later releases any better? She conservatively drops 50% of her calls, probably more. Most of the time, she is in a 3G area. Any suggestions?
    08-07-10 08:55 AM
    Any case should fix the problem. I haven't dropped a single call yet. If your wife is having that many issues, why didn't she return the phone and gotten a different phone? There are several good smartphones on AT&T, if she has problems switch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-10 10:34 AM
    If she isn't covering the black line on the phone then I'm not sure why she would continue to drop calls. The problem is with the antenna there so is she covering that while she's talking? If so, tell her to stop. If not then she has a different problem. Most people that have the drop calls or any performance issues are because they cover that part. No one drops over 50% of their calls if there isn't a technical issue. I don't think most people's just drop calls for no reason unless of course service isn't good where they are. All the bumper does is cover the part some human contact can't interfere with reception.

If she insists on keeping an iPhone then maybe try the bumper or an invisible shield. I have one that covers the side of my phone and works fine with covering the antenna and I don't have to add a case around it. Also bluetooth as well. But if she's open about another device and this one isn't working for her, try something else.
    08-07-10 10:37 AM
    Unless zagg has made the side shields out of different material it will NOT solve the antennagate problem. The material is meant to be conductive to allow the electricity of your finger through it so your capacitive touch screen can work. If the material works than it will NOT I insulate the antenna at all, hence it won't fix the problem. You need a case or bumper that is made of plastic or rubber to insulate that bottom left corner from contact of your finger, hand, or palm.

If you have a cover, it won't matter if you touch or cover it. I have a case from Speck called the candy shell and I can death grip my phone all day without losing a single bar now.

08-07-10 10:42 AM
    Unless zagg has made the side shields out of different material it will NOT solve the antennagate problem. The material is meant to be conductive to allow the electricity of your finger through it so your capacitive touch screen can work. If the material works than it will NOT I insulate the antenna at all, hence it won't fix the problem. You need a case or bumper that is made of plastic or rubber to insulate that bottom left corner from contact of your finger, hand, or palm.

If you have a cover, it won't matter if you touch or cover it. I have a case from Speck called the candy shell and I can death grip my phone all day without losing a single bar now.

The invisible shield doesn't completely get rid of the problem but it makes it harder for you to make the bars go down. So basically, you have to hold your finger there a lot longer to see any changes. In my opinion I'd rather do that than put a case over my phone. I have insurance, so I'm not concerned about damage. You can perform the same thing with the bumper there if you hold long enough but you have to hold it so long it seems like you can't replicate it anymore.
    08-07-10 11:00 AM
    The problem is not the iphone, it's AT&T's 3G network.

I too drop 50% of my calls. In the last 24 hours I was in NJ, DE, Philly, and NY and dropped calls in each area. No exaggeration.

This has been happening on my BB Bold 9000, 9700, iphone 3gs, and now my i4.

The ONLY solutions are switch to EDGE instead of 3G for calls, or to leave AT&T . I chose to deal with calls failed for the last 2 years so I'm used to it.

If you call AT&T, they will check to see if towers are down in your area, tell you to get a new sim card to fix it, swap handsets, blah blah blah.....
    08-07-10 07:15 PM
    im not having any trouble with drop calls but my proximity sensor has to be messed up, i hang up on someone by accident everytime i make a phone call. its a little redic? any ideas?
    08-07-10 09:31 PM
    Hopefully a software update will fix the sensitivity.

I hold mine really close to my ear and haven't had a huge problem.

08-08-10 12:02 AM
    I guess I'm glad I didn't get the early batches. I don't have any issues with dropped calls. Actually I had a ton with my 9000 and when I switched to the 9700 it got better and now with the I4 I seem to be getting better coverage than the 9700.

I do have the same issue with the proximity sensor. It seems if the phone is not flat against your ear the screen becomes active again. Which is a problem if you're multi tasking holding the phone with your shoulder. I just started use the headset to prevent from hanging up on people.
    08-09-10 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD