With RIM the point still is business use. But I think most of us are agreeing that a multi-platform multi-IM client that really works is needed for today's consumer use of a phone. However if you try to twist that around to be a criticism of BBM, it's really a disingenuous argument. The question should be why hasn't anybody written an IM that's as reliable, feature-rich, secure, and easy to use as BBM is, for other platforms.

And you really need to understand technical issues and infrastructure demands to know why that is, but most people don't think about that when they reply in these threads. All they think about is what they want. What they want isn't always reasonable. But that rarely matters
    I agree that we are all in agreement. But the OP was talking about iChat because he wanted to combine business and personal use all in one device. So we all know the strengths of BBM from a enterprise perspective. But if we're getting back to OP then having BBM or any single platform messaging service is irrelevant. And that's my opinion. So I don't really care about "with RIM it's still business". That's not what were are talking about. We're talking about the fact that the OP wanted to combine business use with personal use and we're simply pointing out that for personal use BBM is useless. But we are in agreement.

As for your second point, AIM on your computer is no more secure than AIM on your phone if your computer is not secure. So I would think it would be challenging for some to design a program with the same level as security as BBM. As you said, Blackberry and BBM was made initially for business use so security had to be a top priority and we know that security is one of RIM's strengths. I'm not sure anyone is really trying to make a client to be as secure if it's only going to be used for personal use. Not saying it wouldn't be nice, but many probably don't think it's necessary since g-talk, aim, yim and msn aren't really used for business purposes.

First, the security will need to start with the device platform itself and secondly, we will need to see a massive number of businesses using devices on different platforms in order for someone to really want to make other IM clients as secure as BBM. It seems businesses and business-based platforms get the secure products lol. Personally, I don't really care because I only use it for personal use and if I was using my blackberry, BBM would be the business IM service used while I would be using Beejive to talk to all my other friends. But I do agree with you, someone does need to develop a very good one. Beejive on the iPhone does pretty much everything though but it's not consistent on each platform and that starts with the platform itself.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-19-10 at 08:06 AM.
    03-19-10 08:03 AM
    I don't really get what you are complaining about. I mean BBM is only good for Blackberry thus is not really a solution for everyone. I use YM and AIM on my iPhone due to the fact that I know way more people on those services then BBM and iChat combined. Personally I don't really like iChat that much with the exception that it is a very good for doing video chat.
    I am a government employee. People don't walk around here talking on Yahoo, and AIM. These government employees use Blackberry Messenger. Here it is a solution for everyone because if you are employed by the US government and given a smartphone it is a Blackberry, and you are contacted by people with work concerns "only" by a Blackberry. they give two flips about working out a plan so we can all use yahoo although im sure most have yahoo and aim. Plus those clients are no where near secure enough. So I'm complaining because i wish Apple could make a way for iChat to come about and serve as bbm does for us government employees. then maybe someone who makes more important decisions then me would consider a switch.
    03-19-10 09:12 AM
    iChat =/= BBM

iChat = Beejive

As far as I can tell iChat has nothing to do with BBM, nor can you PIN ppl on BBM through iChat.

Although, I would love to have a native IM client on my iPhone, because to be frank, iChat rocks.

But to think it will replace BBM is foolish.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 03-19-10 at 11:58 AM.
    03-19-10 11:51 AM
    iChat =/= BBM

iChat = Beejive

As far as I can tell iChat has nothing to do with BBM, nor can you PIN ppl on BBM through iChat.

Although, I would love to have a native IM client on my iPhone, because to be frank, iChat rocks.

But to think it will replace BBM is foolish.
    I don't think he wants it to replace BBM. People just want a viable alternative on another platform. I don't know if iChat could be that alternative because I'm not sure how secure it is or anything else.
    03-19-10 12:17 PM
    We already do.

Instant Messenger apps exist, and most are free.
    03-19-10 12:59 PM
    We already do.

Instant Messenger apps exist, and most are free.
    Several people have pointed out that normal IM clients don't offer the security, file transfer ability and other features of a BBM like client.
    03-19-10 02:00 PM
    I don't get the whole locked down IM thing.. why not just use the native MMS/SMS messenger on the iPhone. I use AIM and have it forwarded to my phone without the need to give anyone my number. I'm sure the other messenger programs can have your IM's forwarded as well.
    I don't even need to use any IM client because of just that.

I've had IM+, BeeJive, AIM, Trillion.. yada yada yada and dumped them for just normal MMS/SMS.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 03-19-10 at 02:12 PM.
    03-19-10 02:03 PM
    I don't get the whole locked down IM thing.. why not just use the native MMS/SMS messenger on the iPhone. I use AIM and have it forwarded to my phone without the need to give anyone my number. I'm sure the other messenger programs can have your IM's forwarded as well.
    I don't even need to use any IM client because of just that.

I've had IM+, BeeJive, AIM, Trillion.. yada yada yada and dumped them for just normal MMS/SMS.
    I use IM clients mostly for group chatting which cannot be done in native SMS. For instance, myself, my wife and our other friends that we hang out with talk frequently via group chat to discuss stuff. Something about being in a chatroom than having to send multiple messages to everyone makes the user experience much better. Using an IM clients gives you a more real time and interactive feel. Not saying it's better, but for some it is.

Up until a few months ago, blackberry didn't really have a decent option for chat style SMS so when I was on blackeberry chatting via IM client was much better than using the native SMS and getting a whole bunch of SMS like they were emails. So IM was much better at managing conversations.

Also let's not forget everyone doesn't have unlimited SMS. I know some people that still don't do unlimited just to save a few bucks. I can't say I blame them. Who am I to tell them to pay an extra 10 bucks if they don't want to. So for some people IM clients can be more convenient, cheaper and more fun.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-19-10 at 02:27 PM.
    03-19-10 02:24 PM
    ......ditto!

03-19-10 03:13 PM
    I am a government employee. People don't walk around here talking on Yahoo, and AIM. These government employees use Blackberry Messenger. Here it is a solution for everyone because if you are employed by the US government and given a smartphone it is a Blackberry, and you are contacted by people with work concerns "only" by a Blackberry. they give two flips about working out a plan so we can all use yahoo although im sure most have yahoo and aim. Plus those clients are no where near secure enough. So I'm complaining because i wish Apple could make a way for iChat to come about and serve as bbm does for us government employees. then maybe someone who makes more important decisions then me would consider a switch.
    Oh okay I must have missed that part. It would be sweet to have iChat on the iPhone but I think that a more secure IM client that would work on any smartphone would really be an ideal solution
    03-19-10 03:31 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD