So I had a thought when I first heard the whole rumor thing about a Verizon iPhone. I've read a lot about the rumors and haven't heard anyone suggest this possibility. Just something to think about for people like me who would want a Verizon iPhone.

Let's just say this rumor isn't true and that the iPhone isn't coming to Verizon and is staying with ATT . But, Verizon is planning on releasing its LTE network very soon as we all know. ATT is planning on releasing LTE later on as well. If the iPhone continues to be on ATT, Apple will need to scrap the current GSM model and move to an LTE compatible model for ATT's newer LTE network.
    So my question is: Even if the iPhone doesn't release on Verizon, won't Verizon users be able to buy the LTE iPhone, unlock it, and use it on Verizon's network since it too will be run on LTE technology? T-mobile users already do this because they run off of a GSM network, which is the same network as ATT.
    07-05-10 02:51 PM
    Just because they have an upcoming LTE network along with their HSPA 7.2 doesnt mean they will not be using GSM, unless what I have read is not very clear. Is LTE replacing GSM and CDMA, or is LTE just the upgrade from EVDO/3G/EDGE and what have you.
    07-05-10 03:27 PM
    So I had a thought when I first heard the whole rumor thing about a Verizon iPhone. I've read a lot about the rumors and haven't heard anyone suggest this possibility. Just something to think about for people like me who would want a Verizon iPhone.

Let's just say this rumor isn't true and that the iPhone isn't coming to Verizon and is staying with ATT . But, Verizon is planning on releasing its LTE network very soon as we all know. ATT is planning on releasing LTE later on as well. If the iPhone continues to be on ATT, Apple will need to scrap the current GSM model and move to an LTE compatible model for ATT's newer LTE network.
    So my question is: Even if the iPhone doesn't release on Verizon, won't Verizon users be able to buy the LTE iPhone, unlock it, and use it on Verizon's network since it too will be run on LTE technology? T-mobile users already do this because they run off of a GSM network, which is the same network as ATT.
    Not gonna work. What happens if you can't get a LTE signal? Your phone would be useless. You're going to need 3G for a very long time, just like we need 2G when we can't get a 3G signal.

You're also assuming Verizon and AT&T will be using the same LTE bands. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they will be using different frequencies. So your plan would be like getting a 3G only phone from T-Mobile and trying to use it on AT&T. Not gonna work.
    07-05-10 04:07 PM
    At first LTE will be mostly data only but voice will still be CDMA (VZW) and GSM (ATT). So unlocking a device will still make it unlikely to use on VZW because VZW will still being using CDMA for it's voice and data where LTE isn't available. Remember LTE won't be available everywhere when they launch it so CDMA will still be important until they have as much LTE coverage as CDMA. Same thing with ATT.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 07-06-10 at 12:20 PM.
    07-05-10 04:17 PM
    Thanks. I knew I would get the best answers here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-10 07:04 AM
    Yeah, it would be hard to do, and probably not possible. You're best option would be to get AT&T, or force Steve Jobs to let Verizon use the iPhone... However you want to do that
    07-07-10 09:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD