Even if I was a first time iPhone user/buyer, I would still want the 3GS. The faster Internet speeds alone is a big enough difference for me. Same with the rest of the hardware changes. Might as well just buy the best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 12:24 PM
    Woooooooooooooow I have to write everything in broken english for people to understand it.
    ATT is offering an early upgrade for everyone on the 3G with a waved upgrade fee. Yes, as a college student I'd much rather pay $100 than pay for the 3GS in full (probably $400+?). Honestly not everyone can dish out $400 like you rich people.
    I run background apps and haven't had problems. While I was a BB user all you iPhone users argued about was how much the iPhone is faster (3G at the time) now that I have one you're arguing about how its much slower and to buy a new one. You're all bought out by Apple.
    Also as far as themes are concerned if you read the iPhone Jailbreak forums they dont recommend running 2.x themes on a 3.0. There ar eonly 3 3.0 themes on Cydia right now.
    Return my phone and man up? How do I get robbed with buying something $300 less expensive? I'm quite happy with my phone which you all praised for us BB users to buy only a month ago. Also, how does buying a phone have anything to do with manning up?

This outa be fun..

You can pay $100 for a year old 3G.

You can pay $199 for a new 3GS 16G.

You can pay $299 for a new 3GS 32G.

Your advice was for NEW iPhone customers to get a year old phone when for $100 more they could get a huge handset upgrade. Don't get me wrong the 3G smokes any BlackBerry out there imo, but the 3GS smokes the 3G. Giving out advice along the lines of "it's a little faster and has video" is completely misleading. The difference between devices is huge.

If you're new to jailbreaking that's fine, but there are like 100+ themes compatible with 3.0 on Cydia and Icy. Not to mention all the ones you can download from websites and SSH into your phone. The compatibility problem was Winterboard, which is now patched so it works fine. The only thing you might run into is a some icon sets won't have anything for the Compass or Voice Recorder, and on some of the DockFlow sets the SMS icon might be wrong.

How many sources/repositories have you installed? Have you done the Steffwiz/All Sources repository? There are soooooo many themes its unbelieveable. Bah wait I'll screenshot part of Cydia for you:

You can install complete themes or mix and match all the different individual themes, from keyboards to icons to docks, etc. etc. If you're having problems PM me.
    07-08-09 12:27 PM
    New worst post ever. I wouldn't even want NEW iphone users to get the 3G now the 3GS is out. Wouldn't want them to get the older phone. With that extra 100 bucks, not only are you paying for a faster device with more features, but you're also paying for more gigs of space. They are only selling 8GB 3gs. So the extra 8GB is worth the extra 100 bucks itself. ALL NEW USERS, get the 3GS.
    07-08-09 12:42 PM
    Another issue is resale value. The iPhone is the 1st phone i've had that I know I will be able to sell when I am done with it. An unlocked 32GB GS in good condition will bring top dollar once the next iPhone drops.
    07-08-09 01:31 PM
    While I was a BB user all you iPhone users argued about was how much the iPhone is faster (3G at the time) now that I have one you're arguing about how its much slower and to buy a new one.
    lol, he actually has a good point with this. up until a few weeks ago when the 3gs came out, the 3g was the bees knees! i did the exact same thing as wrath and got the 3g instead of the 3gs. here's the thing, yeah for 100 bucks more i can get the 3gs, BUT with 3 kids, a house payment, car payment, etc... that 100 dollars makes a difference. video functions are cool i'll admit, compass seems like a gimmick (just my opine), the faster 7.2 speeds are theory, heck we cant even get mms yet from att much less a speed that fast. the processor and speed are quicker, but honestly, the "lag" or lack of it on my 3g just dont bother me. the new camera on the 3gs does look pimp! support for nike plus? really? thats not a seller to me at all.

again, the 3g is a great phone for the price to a new or upgrading user. like i said, the phone was all that and a bag o chips just a month ago, the phones capablilties havent changed, there is just a newer and improved version out now. same thing is gonna probably happen next year again! and all the new owners of the iphone whatever its called then will be saying how much better the new one is as opposed to the the 3gs. its too hard to keep up with tech these days now.
    07-08-09 03:54 PM
    lol, he actually has a good point with this. up until a few weeks ago when the 3gs came out, the 3g was the bees knees! i did the exact same thing as wrath and got the 3g instead of the 3gs. here's the thing, yeah for 100 bucks more i can get the 3gs, BUT with 3 kids, a house payment, car payment, etc... that 100 dollars makes a difference. video functions are cool i'll admit, compass seems like a gimmick (just my opine), the faster 7.2 speeds are theory, heck we cant even get mms yet from att much less a speed that fast. the processor and speed are quicker, but honestly, the "lag" or lack of it on my 3g just dont bother me. the new camera on the 3gs does look pimp! support for nike plus? really? thats not a seller to me at all.

again, the 3g is a great phone for the price to a new or upgrading user. like i said, the phone was all that and a bag o chips just a month ago, the phones capablilties havent changed, there is just a newer and improved version out now. same thing is gonna probably happen next year again! and all the new owners of the iphone whatever its called then will be saying how much better the new one is as opposed to the the 3gs. its too hard to keep up with tech these days now.
    It all comes down to if you can afford it or not. If the 3G is in your budget, great. It's still an awesome iPhone; and it has 3.0 software which is almost like a new phone in itself. The 3GS is simply amazing though. Just to touch on the Compass App; it's not so much that you have a Compass, it's that your phone now has a Magnetometer with GPS. This allows you to run Augmented Reality Apps like Layar. Again though the 3G is still better then any BB i've used and if thats what you got, that's awesome. If you can pickup a 3GS even better.
    07-08-09 05:17 PM
    FTWrath's point is for a new user who would not miss those features. To a new iphone user, the 3G will be sweet if you never had one before. But many do have a point, for $100 you get a extra 8 GB's and all the other features too that comes with the 3Gs.
    07-08-09 05:18 PM
    FTWrath's point is for a new user who would not miss those features. To a new iphone user, the 3G will be sweet if you never had one before. But many do have a point, for $100 you get a extra 8 GB's and all the other features too that comes with the 3Gs.
    Or for $199 more you pickup 24 GBs =)
    07-08-09 05:24 PM
    Berry009-1 Jeli-0
    07-08-09 06:11 PM
    Berry009-1 Jeli-0
    What you got a point for not knowing how to use an iPhone? lol

How about I give you two more for failing at basic spelling.

Sorry I have a hard time going back over what has been discussed in multiple threads here and on other sites. Especially when the questions are a mess of broken English.

lolberry009 3 : jeli 0

*twirls a finger*
    07-08-09 06:33 PM
    can anyone read? its not a $100 difference its more like a $300 difference.
    what Wrath is saying is that say you have an att phone, at&t will give you an early upgrade to a 3g for $99 but if say you wanted the 3gs you would have to pay full retail.
    07-09-09 12:11 AM
    Then save up it's worth it.

07-09-09 12:25 AM
    what Wrath is saying is that say you have an att phone, at&t will give you an early upgrade to a 3g for $99 but if say you wanted the 3gs you would have to pay full retail.
    No, AT&T is extending its offer for early upgraders so they don't have to pay full retail. People that would be eligible for an early upgrade in the fall can upgrade now for the same price. Full retail on the 3GS is $799 btw, not $300.
    07-09-09 01:04 AM
    Thank you 67, the one person that understood.
    I wasn't eligible to upgrade originally (even early, just got a Bold not even half a year ago) but practically everyone is now for the 3G.
    Save up and get it? So I save up for a few months and then have to save up again when they release something new once more.
    Same features (besides voice thing) I think I'll live on the speed and memory loss. You all had the phone (3G) not even a month ago and know its not lacking in speed otherwise you wouldn't have stuck up for it in all the countless iphone vs blackberry threads here.
    As the poster above said it would have been $799 for me so no it's not worth it.
    You all act like money grows on trees or something. We're in a recession and teenagers of all people shouldn't be spending $799 just to be 'in.'
    07-09-09 03:30 AM
    ok jeli. 799 not 300. wasnt the point wrath or myself was making. no need to nitpick. as long as you love your $799****** iphone 3gs then great your a cooler person for it. to each his own.
    07-09-09 03:39 AM
    then why title a thread as "Don't get a 3GS" instead of "3G is still a great phone". Its kind of misleading and in all actuality, downright wrong. 3G is a great phone no doubt about it, but if you can get the 3GS for the contract price and can spare the money I don't see why you would go the other route
    07-09-09 08:10 AM
    then why title a thread as "Don't get a 3GS" instead of "3G is still a great phone". Its kind of misleading and in all actuality, downright wrong. 3G is a great phone no doubt about it, but if you can get the 3GS for the contract price and can spare the money I don't see why you would go the other route
    Agreed. When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be a 3GS bashing thread. Bad title for the point you guys are trying to get across.

Last edited by avt123; 07-09-09 at 10:15 AM.
    07-09-09 09:41 AM
    3GS is a pretty good upgrade over the 3G. If not for the features itself, one should probably get the 3GS since it is less likely to be obsolete in a year or two (whereas the 3G is already obsolete). I mean basically it's like telling someone not to get a new Macbook when the older Macbook is cheaper and less powerful. The new Macbook is just an overall better value even if it is more expensive.

When you are paying $100/month for your service, an extra $100 to get the phone is not that big of a deal. Plus if you decide to sell it later, you will get a lot more for it than if you tried to sell a 3G.
    07-09-09 11:20 AM
    You're really getting so worked up about a thread title? You know what could have solved the confusion? Reading the thread post.
    No, it's not a $100 upgrade. If you would have read you would have realized that the thread is directed at first time users who were given an early upgrade for the 3G. $100 > $799
    Next time I post a thread I'll deliberate on a title which doesn't confuse nor offend you.
    I mean, as you said you thought it was going to be a bashing thread... so you entered it and saw it wasn't yet you still needed something to gripe about.
    It's a discussion thread.
    07-09-09 11:40 AM
    3GS is a pretty good upgrade over the 3G. If not for the features itself, one should probably get the 3GS since it is less likely to be obsolete in a year or two (whereas the 3G is already obsolete). I mean basically it's like telling someone not to get a new Macbook when the older Macbook is cheaper and less powerful. The new Macbook is just an overall better value even if it is more expensive.

When you are paying $100/month for your service, an extra $100 to get the phone is not that big of a deal. Plus if you decide to sell it later, you will get a lot more for it than if you tried to sell a 3G.

the 3G isnt obsolete, it has only been out a little over a year. the original iphone maybe. if it keeps up like its been, the 3GS will be "obsolete" next july as well.
    07-09-09 03:39 PM
    Exactly, saying the 3G is obsolete is a little ridiculous. I'm sure the 3GS is a better phone. But, like the person said before me just wait until next year and then the 3GS will be obsolete.
    07-09-09 04:40 PM
    When I was looking for my iPhone (not upgrade eligible) it was somewhere around $250-300 to get the 3G and sign up for a new 2 year contract. The 3GS is $399 if you're out of contract and want to upgrade, but you sign a new 2 year. So it's still kind of $100.

Did you have to sign up for another 2 years?
    07-09-09 06:02 PM
    When I was looking for my iPhone (not upgrade eligible) it was somewhere around $250-300 to get the 3G and sign up for a new 2 year contract. The 3GS is $399 if you're out of contract and want to upgrade, but you sign a new 2 year. So it's still kind of $100.

Did you have to sign up for another 2 years?
    I am not sure what AT&T does but I know this happened to me with verizon. I had an lg evny and u dropped it in the bath. Lol trying to be like rev run and texting and such. Anyways, I got the storm because they did a water damage claim and with an early upgrade and such got the storm. They didn't extend the contract but AT&T may do it differently so I am not sure.

07-09-09 06:59 PM
    Yeah I'm punching myself in the head for this.
    Actually you payed more so I get the last laugh.
    S stands for sucker. As in Apple fanboys that do nothing but dish out money for replica devices with a few enhancements.
    They prob took refurb shells and stuck a few hardware in them.
    Also, not everyone. But practically everyone, just as yourself, misunderstood the topic.
    Guarantee you that my 3G Jailbroken, as it is now, can do more than your 3GS as it is now.

Also it's the same phone, operating system, everything. Besides a few bigger numbers in performance. I have Cycorder when I need to take a quick video and I have a video camera when I know in advance I will be taking video.

When you get an update, so will I and so will some 5 year old with an iTouch.
    Voice Control? Give it a few weeks and there will eb an App for that if there isn't already.
    OMG funny reply Responder epic fail.
    Last edited by FTWrath; 07-09-09 at 11:24 PM.
    07-09-09 11:21 PM
    Yeah I'm punching myself in the head for this.
    Actually you payed more so I get the last laugh.
    S stands for sucker. As in Apple fanboys that do nothing but dish out money for replica devices with a few enhancements.
    They prob took refurb shells and stuck a few hardware in them.
    Also, not everyone. But practically everyone, just as yourself, misunderstood the topic.
    Guarantee you that my 3G Jailbroken, as it is now, can do more than your 3GS as it is now.

Also it's the same phone, operating system, everything. Besides a few bigger numbers in performance. I have Cycorder when I need to take a quick video and I have a video camera when I know in advance I will be taking video.

When you get an update, so will I and so will some 5 year old with an iTouch.
    Voice Control? Give it a few weeks and there will eb an App for that if there isn't already.
    OMG funny reply Responder epic fail.

Dude. Why you have to try and convince people not to get the 3GS? I don't really get it. At this point I am no longer going to respond. It's clear to be that after that response that you don't look into the changes they made to the 3G. If you have a 3G then chances are you don't really " need " to upgrade. But I think it is a HUGE upgrade. It wasn't an Epic fail because, the iPhone 3GS has already sold 27 million units, and it's only been out since July 19th. Obviously you are allowed your own opinion. No one really cares about the voice control thats an added perk. What people care about are the 32 GBs, and the faster processor and the RAM. So while you do make some valid points it seems to me at this point you are just trying to make yourself feel better about not having the 3GS rather then actually being helpful too people.
    07-10-09 01:22 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD