If you're a first time iPhone user do not buy the 3GS.
    ATT is running a great promotion on the 3G. It's practically the same exact phone.
    They waved my upgrade fee and I got it for $99.
    Differences (from what the rep told me) are no video and a bit slower.
    3GS is supposed to be faster but not by much and has video which 3G also has when Jailbroken.
    Is it worth paying an added $100 (with contract) or even more (without contract) for a boost in speed?
    I don't think so.
    iPhone is much faster than my Bold and have had no problems whatsoever running aps, etc.
    So I dont see how a boost in speed is needed.
    07-07-09 07:48 PM
    Have you even used a 3GS before? Night and day. I personally find it WAY more enjoyable than the 3G.
    You have a point though. If you've never used an iPhone before and the 3G will be the first one you've used, then it's definitely more than acceptable and still enjoyable to use. It's when you know the differences between the two...
    07-07-09 08:02 PM
    Just to be complete:
    • Oleophobic screen coating (it really does work)
    • Faster processor
    • Twice the RAM
    • 32GB of storage
    • Builtin Compass
    • 3 MP autofocus camera w/macro mode
    • Video Camera with built in editing
    • Voice Control
    • 7.2Mbps HSDPA
    • Bluetooth 2.1
    • Support for Nike +
    My wife has the 3G, I have the 3GS. The new phone is a definite upgrade over the 3G.
    07-07-09 08:05 PM
    I wouldn't buy the 3G now because you'll be stuck with a year old phone for two years. Plus the 3GS is only $100 more so if you're going to be spending so much ($30 data, texting, etc) might as well put in an extra $100 to get better technology
    07-07-09 08:09 PM
    I wouldnt get either
    07-07-09 08:14 PM
    I wouldnt get either
    What a wonderful contribution you've just made, please say you are going to stay and bless us with your most valuable insight.
    07-07-09 08:29 PM
    I think the 3gs is faster..
    07-07-09 08:59 PM
    What a wonderful contribution you've just made, please say you are going to stay and bless us with your most valuable insight.
    3GS Pros- multimedia phone

3Gs cons-no real push email like Blackberry( i have hotmail, gmail, yahoo) They hit my blackberry first and then 2hrs later on iphone

tethered modem

bluetooth to other devices( only bluetooth to handsets)

MMS(which will fixed)

overheating and dont have apps on it yet

no downloading from browser(SUCKS @$$)

Only way to get it working is Jailbreaking wow seriously my 8900, dang my 8320 can do all this out of the box

I was watching TV when i saw that commercial of COPY AND PASTE, thats when i realized i made mistake. It looks like iphone quietly wants to become more like the blackberry.
    07-07-09 09:01 PM
    Am I the only one that hates push email? I answer when I need to. If it was really all that important there is a reason why I have a phone number... Freaking call me /end rant

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-09 09:45 PM
    ATT is running a great promotion on the 3G. It's practically the same exact phone.
    3GS is supposed to be faster but not by much and has video which 3G also has when Jailbroken.
    Is it worth paying an added $100 (with contract) or even more (without contract) for a boost in speed?
    I don't think so.
    iPhone is much faster than my Bold and have had no problems whatsoever running aps, etc.
    you must never have used a 3gs sir, they are incrdible. the speed is insane its night and day and the new features are amazing too, not to mention an improved battery life. Just jailbreak that beast and youre ready to go!!
    07-07-09 09:47 PM
    To the O.P.

dude seriously, i had the 3G and played need for speed undercover and it lagged badly after 1 or 2 races. i was within my 30 days of a fresh contract with at&t so for 100 more for more gigs ram and processor speed its amazingly fast compared to the 3G the gps is even more accurate! so if you really like the 3G go for it be stuck with an old phone! I'm a proud owner of a white 3G(S) 16 gig.

P.S.
    with the added ram in it there is no need to restart or get a memory cleaner for it. it has more than enough!
    07-07-09 10:18 PM
    Just to be complete:
    • Faster processor
    • Twice the RAM
    • 32GB of storage
    • Builtin Compass
    • Voice Control
    • 7.2Mbps HSDPA
    • Bluetooth 2.1
    • Support for Nike +
    My wife has the 3G, I have the 3GS. The new phone is a definite upgrade over the 3G.
    you said it well. it is a huge upgrade over the 3G.
    07-07-09 10:41 PM
    I bought my wife the 3Gs and I took her old 3G and played with that a few days. Then I tried her 3Gs and then went out the next day and bought my own 32 GB 3Gs. Speed is great and the camera is much improved and what a great video camera.
    07-07-09 10:48 PM
    Agreed I used to have ATT way back in the day and I have played with the iPhone 3G. I never owned one, but when I played with the 3GS I bought it on the spot. Its way faster, but you each there own I think its way better.
    07-07-09 11:28 PM
    I swear you people never read a thread before you reply.
    If you're a first time iPhone user... First time.
    Also Jailbreaking a 3GS right now is completely stupid and pointless
    There are hardly any themes for 3.0 firmware and lots of apps are buggy.
    07-08-09 12:06 AM
    Ahem........

Have you even used a 3GS before? Night and day. I personally find it WAY more enjoyable than the 3G.
    You have a point though. If you've never used an iPhone before and the 3G will be the first one you've used, then it's definitely more than acceptable and still enjoyable to use. It's when you know the differences between the two...
    07-08-09 12:33 AM
    I don't think so.
    So umm yeah, no.

3GS and the 3G are miles apart.

If you're looking to buy your first iPhone, do yourself a favor and get the 3GS. It smokes the 3G by a LARGE margin.

It sports the new ARM Cortex8 600mhz processor.

Double the memory at 256mb.

Has a shiny new Power VR SGX 530 GPU with Open GL ES 2.0 support.

Up to 32GB storage.

Support for 3.5G/HSPA 7.2 (when it rolls out).

The new native Video support destroys the jailbroken equivalent with up to 30FPS recording and on the fly editing + Youtube/MobileMe support.

Camera is bumped up to 3 megapixels.

Voice Control & Magnetometer (Support for Augmented Reality Apps)

Improved Battery Life and Speaker Quality

For $100 that's a steal.

OP you got robbed, return your phone and man up with the 3GS.
    Last edited by Jeli; 07-08-09 at 01:37 AM.
    07-08-09 01:15 AM
    Hrmm I've jailbroken mine and with this mornings Winterboard release almost all the themes out there are working just fine. The majority of the Apps work just fine if you use RC2 of Purplera1n as it has the proper kernel patches. I'm running all of my former jailbroken apps except Snapture. You're likely doing it wrong.

Also if you're a first time iPhone user you would be doing yourself a huge disservice to get locked into a 2 year agreement for a year old phone when for $100 bucks you can have so much more. Please take your advice elsewhere, someone just might listen to you without realizing the mistake they are about to make.
    07-08-09 01:21 AM
    3GS Pros- multimedia phone

3Gs cons-no real push email like Blackberry( i have hotmail, gmail, yahoo) They hit my blackberry first and then 2hrs later on iphone

tethered modem

bluetooth to other devices( only bluetooth to handsets)

MMS(which will fixed)

overheating and dont have apps on it yet

no downloading from browser(SUCKS @$$)

Only way to get it working is Jailbreaking wow seriously my 8900, dang my 8320 can do all this out of the box

I was watching TV when i saw that commercial of COPY AND PASTE, thats when i realized i made mistake. It looks like iphone quietly wants to become more like the blackberry.
    Apparently you can't figure out an iPhone, that's no reason for other people to not buy one. Push email with Yahoo! is the iPhone's bread and butter. Not to mention MobileMe. It also doesn't overheat without Apps on it, quit trying to skew online rumor articles.

Stick to your 8900, simple technology sounds more your speed.
    07-08-09 01:25 AM
    Just to be complete:
    • Faster processor
    • Twice the RAM
    • 32GB of storage
    • Builtin Compass
    • Voice Control
    • 7.2Mbps HSDPA
    • Bluetooth 2.1
    • Support for Nike +
    Ya barely any diff. between the two phones lol...
    I'd LOVE one...
    07-08-09 02:02 AM
    Apparently you can't figure out an iPhone, that's no reason for other people to not buy one. Push email with Yahoo! is the iPhone's bread and butter. Not to mention MobileMe. It also doesn't overheat without Apps on it, quit trying to skew online rumor articles.

Stick to your 8900, simple technology sounds more your speed.
    jaja does your iphone do most of what i just wrote? I have tried all of that i mentioned so far. None of what i have tried works, if you have some insight let me know. Because correct me if im wrong but it wont do it according to apple, and the only way is jailbreaking. Please give me some tips on what im doing wrong, I go to a website to download ringtones, music, pictures and it wont. Please give tips on how to set up bluetooth, i go to bluetooth settings and turn on visibility/search for other bluetooth. I turn on my 8900 bluetooth and also the visibility....searching..8900 found iphone...waiting on iphone to find 8900....waiting....waiting..searching.....searchin g .....searching....searching...wow really what did i do wrong. Only Yahoo and mobile me is bread and butter.....8900 does all bread and butter and JELLY.
    07-08-09 03:56 AM
    not sure the rational is behind that quote. if you are a first time owner then you shouldn't be worried about the upgraded specs? when you are buying something that locks you in for a year or two you get the best model you can to hold you off until the next upgrade.
    07-08-09 07:12 AM
    apparentlyyou arent up on your stuff sir. winterboard got released for purplera1n yesterday morning and all the themes seem to be working great! im running iWood realize on my 3gs right now and it is so fast, slick, and beautiful. Jailbreaking these things is the best thing you can possibly do, it is incredibly simple and painless, and opens up a whole new world of customization that no other phone can touch.. And all this on the fastest phone available. Apple = Win. 3GS >>>>>>> 3G >>>>>>>> RIM
    07-08-09 07:52 AM
    Woooooooooooooow I have to write everything in broken english for people to understand it.
    ATT is offering an early upgrade for everyone on the 3G with a waved upgrade fee. Yes, as a college student I'd much rather pay $100 than pay for the 3GS in full (probably $400+?). Honestly not everyone can dish out $400 like you rich people.
    I run background apps and haven't had problems. While I was a BB user all you iPhone users argued about was how much the iPhone is faster (3G at the time) now that I have one you're arguing about how its much slower and to buy a new one. You're all bought out by Apple.
    Also as far as themes are concerned if you read the iPhone Jailbreak forums they dont recommend running 2.x themes on a 3.0. There ar eonly 3 3.0 themes on Cydia right now.
    Return my phone and man up? How do I get robbed with buying something $300 less expensive? I'm quite happy with my phone which you all praised for us BB users to buy only a month ago. Also, how does buying a phone have anything to do with manning up?
    07-08-09 11:40 AM
    ok and why cant a first time buyer have the best? there wasnt a cheaper version of the iphone when it FIRST came out now was there? so why settle for less?
    07-08-09 12:11 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD