05-28-10 03:11 PM
    It's so back and forth. I heard they ordered phones compatible with Verizon but what it really all comes down to is the dollar bills y'all. If it makes sense for apple to add verizon, they will.
    05-28-10 04:04 PM
    Every point in this article makes sence... Especially waiting for LTE to build universal phone.
    Apple would love Verizon's huge customer's base, but what is it really compared to the GSM world out there? Verizon's CDMA is only in the US.
    05-28-10 04:09 PM
    I completely agree with that article. I've been saying this ever since the WSJ made that article about someplace in China producing CDMA iPhones. It just seems that it would be a stupid move by Apple to distribute 2 different kinds of phones when next year they only have to make one. As much as I loathe Apple and everything they stand for, they don't make stupid decisions. Apple and it's fearless leader didn't get to where they are by making poor choices.

A friend of mine, who is the biggest Apple/Mac fan I know, thinks the same. He would really like the iPhone to come to Verizon because he hates Att, but says it's just not gonna happen until at least next year, if even then.
    05-28-10 04:25 PM
    Ive always agreed with this stance.

Not that VZW wont EVER get the phone, but not until at least ATT and VZW are both LTE and theyll at least share similar internals with an LTE radio. It only makes sense to save costs from developing 2 phone versions.
    05-28-10 04:47 PM
    Ive always agreed with this stance.

Not that VZW wont EVER get the phone, but not until at least ATT and VZW are both LTE and theyll at least share similar internals with an LTE radio. It only makes sense to save costs from developing 2 phone versions.
    The problem with that is Verizon is not going to have LTE in every one of their markets by next year. If Apple is going to make a Verizon iPhone this year or next, it will have to have CDMA 3G radio capabilities as Verizon will still be partially dependent on their 3G network for several more years. Same goes for AT&T and their GSM 3G. So the "internals" between a Verizon and AT&T iPhone will have to be different either way. Why not make the iPhone now then?
    05-28-10 07:02 PM
    I dont know, Im not Apple. But people seem to have this sense of obligation that Apple MUST make a CDMA iphone, and thats far from the truth. Apple makes their own business decisions on what they want to build.
    05-28-10 07:58 PM
    The problem with that is Verizon is not going to have LTE in every one of their markets by next year. If Apple is going to make a Verizon iPhone this year or next, it will have to have CDMA 3G radio capabilities as Verizon will still be partially dependent on their 3G network for several more years. Same goes for AT&T and their GSM 3G. So the "internals" between a Verizon and AT&T iPhone will have to be different either way. Why not make the iPhone now then?
    Again, keep in mind the WORLD is GSM. Why spend all the money in develloping a CDMA phone, then making the parts for it and retooling the machines for only a very small portion of the world.
    IPhones have been on AT&T for so many years, why not be more patient and wait another year or 2 until LTE is widely available?
    05-28-10 08:29 PM
    Umm, "very small portion of the world?" Keep in mind that the iPhone's main, largest, and strongest market is the United States. With Verizon Wireless being the largest wireless carrier in the US clocking in at just over 92 million subscribers, it is hardly a small market. A recent survey stated that around 17 percent of Verizon subscribers were "extremely interested" in a Verizon iPhone. Let's knock this down to 10% to be conservative, and that's still 9 million people potentially itching to purchase a CDMA iPhone. Considering 50 million iPhones have been sold as of April, with around 10 million (estimation based on AdMob statistics) of those being sold in the US, 9 million is a pretty attractive figure. Yes, CDMA is small outside of the US. But the iPhone's largest and most important market by far is the US. Outside of the US, iPhone penetration is still fairly low, with more than half of the world's iPhone's in the palms of American users.

Apple does not want to be with AT&T for any longer than it has to. AT&T's network is overloaded, and this is tarnishing the iPhone's reputation by proxy thanks to dropped calls, data slowdowns, and poor service that are mainly the fault of AT&T. LTE may or may not be available 2 years from now, but even if it is, it's not certain how widely available it will be. Even if Apple waits for an LTE-only iPhone which may not function reliably in many areas due to poor LTE availability, they will need to implement support for CDMA/EVDO in the interim as the LTE rollout progresses anyway, so it makes sense to develop that technology now and use it now. Whatever the CDMA iPhone's R&D costs are, the potential revenue from Verizon's userbase should be attractive enough for them to go through with it.

But really, there's no telling what Apple will do. They are, after all, Apple.
    Last edited by Andiamo; 05-28-10 at 09:46 PM.
    05-28-10 09:44 PM
    Umm, "very small portion of the world?" Keep in mind that the iPhone's main, largest, and strongest market is the United States. With Verizon Wireless being the largest wireless carrier in the US clocking in at just over 92 million subscribers, it is hardly a small market. A recent survey stated that around 17 percent of Verizon subscribers were "extremely interested" in a Verizon iPhone. Let's knock this down to 10% to be conservative, and that's still 9 million people potentially itching to purchase a CDMA iPhone. Considering 50 million iPhones have been sold as of April, with around 10 million (estimation based on AdMob statistics) of those being sold in the US, 9 million is a pretty attractive figure. Yes, CDMA is small outside of the US. But the iPhone's largest and most important market by far is the US. Outside of the US, iPhone penetration is still fairly low, with more than half of the world's iPhone's in the palms of American users.

Apple does not want to be with AT&T for any longer than it has to. AT&T's network is overloaded, and this is tarnishing the iPhone's reputation by proxy thanks to dropped calls, data slowdowns, and poor service that are mainly the fault of AT&T. LTE may or may not be available 2 years from now, but even if it is, it's not certain how widely available it will be. Even if Apple waits for an LTE-only iPhone which may not function reliably in many areas due to poor LTE availability, they will need to implement support for CDMA/EVDO in the interim as the LTE rollout progresses anyway, so it makes sense to develop that technology now and use it now. Whatever the CDMA iPhone's R&D costs are, the potential revenue from Verizon's userbase should be attractive enough for them to go through with it.

But really, there's no telling what Apple will do. They are, after all, Apple.
    I'm glad somebody is going off of empirical data and not just making broad, uninformed statements. Well said.
    05-29-10 01:31 AM
    I'm done.
    iPhone comes to Verizon? Great, I won't purchase it.
    iPhone doesn't come to Verizon? Okay, I got past the iPhone awhile back.
    The End.
    05-29-10 01:34 AM
    I'm glad somebody is going off of empirical data and not just making broad, uninformed statements. Well said.
    You mean because CDMA users are the only ones worked in a frenzy when anyone says Apple will do what they want in the end no matter how many numbers you quote?
    05-29-10 01:41 AM
    You mean because CDMA users are the only ones worked in a frenzy when anyone says Apple will do what they want in the end no matter how many numbers you quote?
    I wouldn't call a compelling argument a "frenzy". And of course Apple will do what they want. They are a business, and what a business wants is self preservation, aka profitability. If the numbers make sense, then the product makes sense. You can still keep your AT&T service and iPhone - you just need to accept the fact that the iPhone will reach other carriers. But I can see why you don't want AT&T to lose the best (only?) exclusive thing going for them.
    05-29-10 03:52 AM
    Globally, CDMA is 18% - GSM is 82%. CDMA is a big fish in a very small pond.

What do you think a forward thinking aggressive company will choose when growing its global reach?

CDMA vs GSM - Difference and Comparison | Diffen
    05-29-10 06:24 AM
    I wouldn't call a compelling argument a "frenzy". And of course Apple will do what they want. They are a business, and what a business wants is self preservation, aka profitability. If the numbers make sense, then the product makes sense. You can still keep your AT&T service and iPhone - you just need to accept the fact that the iPhone will reach other carriers. But I can see why you don't want AT&T to lose the best (only?) exclusive thing going for them.
    Actually, I can't wait for the Iphone to go to Verizon. It's the best thing that will happen to us BB users on AT&T if a bunch of IPhone users on our network switch to Verizon.
    It's a known fact that the IPhone is responsible for the network issues AT&T is having.
    I can't stand IPhones... why would I care if it's on other carriers?
    05-29-10 07:09 AM
    You can still keep your AT&T service and iPhone - you just need to accept the fact that the iPhone will reach other carriers. But I can see why you don't want AT&T to lose the best (only?) exclusive thing going for them.
    I actually couldnt care less where it goes, if fact if I hope it does solely so we can stop hearing BB fanboys gloat RIM is in 1st place in the US with a outdated OS and hardware.

And its not ATT's ONLY thing going for them, they still had over 62 million customers pre-iphone (Q1 2007) when VZW had only 60.7 million in the same period. They did fine pre-iphone so thats just an ATT-basher claim. The numbers state otherwise.

VZW also merely BOUGHT 15% or so of their customers when they purchased Alltel, they didnt work for those 13 million customers or add them through normal methods.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-29-10 at 01:49 PM.
    05-29-10 01:46 PM
    They could of put a GSM and CDMA chip in there.
    05-29-10 08:09 PM
    I actually couldnt care less where it goes, if fact if I hope it does solely so we can stop hearing BB fanboys gloat RIM is in 1st place in the US with a outdated OS and hardware.

And its not ATT's ONLY thing going for them, they still had over 62 million customers pre-iphone (Q1 2007) when VZW had only 60.7 million in the same period. They did fine pre-iphone so thats just an ATT-basher claim. The numbers state otherwise.

VZW also merely BOUGHT 15% or so of their customers when they purchased Alltel, they didnt work for those 13 million customers or add them through normal methods.
    Let us not forget AT&T's merger with Cingular which brought their numbers up.
    05-31-10 01:59 PM
    Let us not forget AT&T's merger with Cingular which brought their numbers up.
    Thats irrelevant to the topic though, the innuendo was that the iphone is all ATT has going for it but they were just fine pre-iphone in terms of being competitive with VZW. Yes, the iphone helped them a lot, but they arent a one horse pony. Iphones only make up maybe 10% of their customers, they still have tens of millions out there not using iphones.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-31-10 at 02:13 PM.
    05-31-10 02:10 PM
    they arent a one horse pony
    That was epic - if I ever start a band, I am calling it A One Horse Pony.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-10 06:46 PM
    Verizon is getting the Iphone by fall, it was confirmed to me by a rep at the Verizon store today. Course guess he could be jumping the gun but I'd think that could cost him his job so I'm betting it's true
    05-31-10 07:16 PM
    Verizon is getting the Iphone by fall, it was confirmed to me by a rep at the Verizon store today. Course guess he could be jumping the gun but I'd think that could cost him his job so I'm betting it's true
    Ah, the people who believe store reps. They don't know ****.
    05-31-10 07:26 PM
    Just like they were getting the ipad and have a BIG meeting the morning of
    05-31-10 08:25 PM
    Every point in this article makes sence... Especially waiting for LTE to build universal phone.
    Apple would love Verizon's huge customer's base, but what is it really compared to the GSM world out there? Verizon's CDMA is only in the US.
    WTF does everyone constantly make this mistake?!?!?!

Verizon will CONTINUE to use CDMA for voice once LTE is out. LTE won't be in all the markets, so they can't do the VoIP they are planning to do via LTE in all areas, that's why initially they will continue to use CDMA for voice in those areas without LTE and even use it for data. If Verizon is to get an iPhone, they'd have to get one that's CDMA capable anyway. The fact of radio technology differences is not one that will dictate when Verizon will get an iPhone if they are to get one. There is no technical difference if they got an LTE capable iPhone now or in 2 years... it would still need CDMA onboard no matter what.
    05-31-10 11:36 PM
    WTF does everyone constantly make this mistake?!?!?!

Verizon will CONTINUE to use CDMA for voice once LTE is out. LTE won't be in all the markets, so they can't do the VoIP they are planning to do via LTE in all areas, that's why initially they will continue to use CDMA for voice in those areas without LTE and even use it for data. If Verizon is to get an iPhone, they'd have to get one that's CDMA capable anyway. The fact of radio technology differences is not one that will dictate when Verizon will get an iPhone if they are to get one. There is no technical difference if they got an LTE capable iPhone now or in 2 years... it would still need CDMA onboard no matter what.
    Thanks Civic, but we covered that on page 1
    06-01-10 12:45 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD