I have a 2 month-old iPhone 3GS and love it, but was wondering if exposure to cold weather affects battery life. I can't get a license because of my vision and literally have to walk everywhere. There's no public transportation or taxis here and the neighbors won't ever give me rides, so I walk two miles or more every day in all kinds of weather. I have no choice. When I left the house yesterday my battery was at 100% and when I came home, after being out for about 2 hours with my phone in my pocket and not using it at all when I was out my battery was at 89%. I was wondering if the cold weather had caused that? I was out for 2 hours on Tuesday when it was even colder but I had a hoodie on under a ski parka that covered the pocket where I had my iPhone and the battery was okay when I got home. So I wonder if it was because the jacket I wore yesterday didn't cover the pocket where the iPhone was and it got cold? I will make sure to wear my ski parka from now on this winter. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for any help or suggestions on this!
    12-31-09 10:56 AM
    It is possible that the cold temps kill batteries. When I used to leave my phone in my car for a few hrs. it would make my phone/battery act funny/drain batt. If you can't read this (vision problems you stated) have somebody read it to you.
    12-31-09 01:46 PM
    The cold will affect battery duration. But, in addition to that, we have to ask, what's your brightness on the device set to? If over 35-40%, it will cause the battery to die quicker.

Wifi, is it on, and not needed? Bluetooth, etc, etc...
    12-31-09 02:34 PM
    yup I would agree with naviwilliams. if you reach a dead zone the phone will be in searching mode therefore killing more battery life. and this goes for wifi also.
    01-05-10 10:38 AM
    It can affect it. But check out Apple's support page for settings you can change to maximize battery life on the iPhone.

Apple - Batteries - iPhone
    01-08-10 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD