I am seeing a lot of remote apps for the iPhone, which are pretty slick. Control your TV, stream to your phone, and so on. I'm in the market for something a little different.

Does anyone know if there is a network storage device from western digital, iomega, etc., that will let me connect to my home network and use my iPhone to browse, select, and play the media? The catch is that I want to play the media on another device that isn't my iPhone. I just want to use my iPhone as the remote to control the media and stream it to my tv, xbox, or music player.

Every external storage that has an iPhone app does the reverse, where you can access the media on your iPhone. Nice but not what I'm looking for.

Anyone have a suggestion?
    12-14-11 03:52 PM
    That would be interesting to see if there is an app that does all that. There are apps that will do half of what you are looking for that I am aware of but not all of it. Personally I use apps like Plex or StreamToMe to stream videos from my Windows Home Server to my iPod, then use AirPlay to push the videos to my AppleTVs. It works quite nicely, even remotely. But for streaming to something like the Xbox using DLNA while streaming from your PC Im not sure.
    12-14-11 03:59 PM
    I actually just want to use my iPhone to browse the media and play it directly from the external drive to whatever device (xbox, tv, music receiver, etc.)

I am mostly focused on the music side. I don't want to have to turn on my tv every time I want to browse and play something from my digital library. I'd rather just be able to see my music files on my iPhone, hit play, and bingo, music from my stereo.
    12-14-11 04:07 PM
    Is your stereo a full blown amp or just like a boombox? Does it support bluetooth?
    12-14-11 04:11 PM
    It's an old Yamaha receiver but I can upgrade to the right system if I can get this to work right.
    12-14-11 04:52 PM
    Does it support HDMI by chance? Or Toslink (Optical audio)? If so I'd recommend the AppleTV then. Its only like $99, and it's a killer little device. Then you wont need to turn your TV on and you can stream your music. On top of that youll be able to use the remote that comes with the AppleTV to control the music/video.
    12-14-11 05:09 PM
    I have an Apple TV2 Jailbroken that is running XBMC and my iPhone is the remote for it.
    12-14-11 06:44 PM
    Does it support HDMI by chance? Or Toslink (Optical audio)? If so I'd recommend the AppleTV then. Its only like $99, and it's a killer little device. Then you wont need to turn your TV on and you can stream your music. On top of that youll be able to use the remote that comes with the AppleTV to control the music/video.
    I don't think AppleTv works with a network attached drive. It still needs iTunes to stream the data. I want to eliminate the need to use a laptop to stream.

The system I want would be
    1 external networked drive, plugged directly into my router
    1 iPhone app that lets me browse my media library and control play, pause, etc.
    1 box (if necessary) to manage the media streams to the tv, receiver, Xbox, etc.
    12-14-11 10:45 PM
    I have an Apple TV2 Jailbroken that is running XBMC and my iPhone is the remote for it.
    Does the jailbreak allow AppleTv to "see" a network external drive? I just want to plug a tb drive in, load media, and forget about it. I want to eliminate the need for a pc to run to manage the stream.

Does xbmc allow for ATV2 to stream avi files? I thought that wasn't possible.
    12-14-11 10:49 PM
    I believe a jail broken one can. Let me do some research.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    12-15-11 08:21 AM
    Mikos check this out:
    Hacking Apple TV Take 3 Tutorial | Danny Ruchtie

My weekend project
    mikos likes this.
    12-15-11 11:48 AM
    My Setup

Apple TV2 JB with XBMC
    Yamaha 7.1 Receiver
    LG 60" LCD
    JBL Sattelite Speakers JBL Powered Sub with a Polk Center Channel and Yamaha Frontspeakers
    iTunes Sharing everywhere.
    12-15-11 11:52 AM
    Mikos check this out:
    Hacking Apple TV Take 3 Tutorial | Danny Ruchtie

My weekend project
    Keys to the kingdom, many thanks.
    12-15-11 11:58 AM
    Looks like what I will be doing this weekend. Since I have nito tv already installed and running on the ATV this should be a slam dunk. I have a 500GB hd laying around that should work quite nicely.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-15-11 at 02:07 PM.
    12-15-11 12:00 PM
    Looks like what I will be doing this weekend. Since I have nito tv already installed and running on the ATV this should be a slam dunk. I have a 500GB hd laying around that should work quite nicely.
    Keep me posted on the results. I am very curious if your system can handle AVIs and the playback of these. Also would love to hear how it handles music files directly from the external drive to ATV to your receiver.
    12-15-11 06:14 PM
    Mikos here is a better tutorial
    Cheap Multiroom Media Center System with Apple TV and XBMC at Arturito.net
    12-15-11 07:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD