View Poll Results: Will BB OS6 top iPhone OS4?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 16.18%
  • No

52 76.47%
  • Other

5 7.35%
    Is the iPhone using a Free BSD Kernel like OS X is?
    04-19-10 08:30 AM
    Is it? My G1 does alright with the little memory it has but apps sometimes quit or become non-responsive.

Apps in the JVM enjoy automatic garbage collection (memory reclamation), that is a definite advantage and a reason for using Java in a mobile device. But it's not fool proof. Database connections and threads can be left dangling even after apps exit due to programmer mistakes. Sometimes the API is not strict enough, sometimes the API implementation is just buggy.

I don't know. I haven't seen memory issues myself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    There's a lot more memory leaking happening then garbage collection. lol

I think you're somewhat new to the whole BB world and running a 9700, you don't notice it as much with the amount of memory in that thing. I've seen BBs come and go and they all had memory issues. The big problems really started more once the 8xxx line of models came out. From then on, the issues have been apparent more and more.

A VM requires a large amount of memory to work, something RIM didn't give these devices until recently, and in my opinion even now there's not enough memory in them. When OS6 comes out, your 256MB of flash will be about as usefull as the 128MB of flash is on my Storm. Believe that...
    04-19-10 10:19 AM
    Ah, man I hate hearing synthmole of all people, saying stuff like this, as I'm planning on getting the Bold 9650 when released. Hopefully, you were beta testing something or running a leaked OS. I don't want to re-live my Windows Vista experence (ahhh, hammers ARE useful )
    I suspect the RIM beta Twitter app but don't know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-10 10:22 AM
    There's a lot more memory leaking happening then garbage collection. lol

I think you're somewhat new to the whole BB world and running a 9700, you don't notice it as much with the amount of memory in that thing. I've seen BBs come and go and they all had memory issues. The big problems really started more once the 8xxx line of models came out. From then on, the issues have been apparent more and more.

A VM requires a large amount of memory to work, something RIM didn't give these devices until recently, and in my opinion even now there's not enough memory in them. When OS6 comes out, your 256MB of flash will be about as usefull as the 128MB of flash is on my Storm. Believe that...
    RIM can easily fix this using low level software implementations though. They can keep the 128/256 as run time, and open up the 1/2gb of onboard memory for PIM and apps. Although the 128/256 will still be less than current devices, it can really extend the life of these devices.
    04-19-10 01:45 PM
    yep, that's the problem, they went with a JVM.. sluggish implementation and bloated inefficient code = fail.

they seriously need to scrap it all, and start over, fresh from the ground up.
    The JVM is nice because its highly secure. RIM just needs to re-work to make it easier for platform development. That can be done and they need to do it.
    04-19-10 01:51 PM
    RIM can easily fix this using low level software implementations though. They can keep the 128/256 as run time, and open up the 1/2gb of onboard memory for PIM and apps. Although the 128/256 will still be less than current devices, it can really extend the life of these devices.
    Unfortunately, DM isn't equipped to flash the low level software on BBs... at least I don't believe it is. So, unless everyone returns their BBs to RIM to do this, they can't make it happen in the public's hands.
    04-19-10 07:25 PM
    Unfortunately, DM isn't equipped to flash the low level software on BBs... at least I don't believe it is. So, unless everyone returns their BBs to RIM to do this, they can't make it happen in the public's hands.
    Well, all of this happens at the kernel level, between the OS and the hardware resources itself. I'm not sure if the kernel remains the same from OS upgrade to OS upgrade or if it changes. Usually Kernels come with the OS, or there can't be an OS. If RIM can modify the kernel to re-partition the memory, and somehow have a way to get in in user's hands through DM, then that would be great.
    04-19-10 10:15 PM
    Well, all of this happens at the kernel level, between the OS and the hardware resources itself. I'm not sure if the kernel remains the same from OS upgrade to OS upgrade or if it changes. Usually Kernels come with the OS, or there can't be an OS. If RIM can modify the kernel to re-partition the memory, and somehow have a way to get in in user's hands through DM, then that would be great.
    I dunno, it depends on how the OS works with the low level software. I tend to think that memory allocation happens on the low level software side which for the sake of examples, is kind of like a BIOS/EFI. When you upgrade the OS, the BIOS/EFI is not touched. RIM would have to devise a way to update that portion of the phone and to my knowledge, that's not possible without some insider tools that only RIM has.
    04-19-10 11:01 PM
    I honestly have no idea what some of you are talking about in respects to coding , programming, ect.!! LOL
    04-22-10 02:24 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD