View Poll Results: Will BB OS6 top iPhone OS4?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 16.18%
  • No

52 76.47%
  • Other

5 7.35%
    BB's OS6 may have more customization and options but I don't think it'll hold a candle to iPhone OS4.

What are your thoughts?
    04-18-10 09:26 AM
    Define top...
    For a business user it already 'tops' it with functionality.

If your thinking in terms of media... No

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-10 12:08 PM
    Overall: No.

And I bet you OS 5 will be out before 6.0 is.
    04-18-10 12:47 PM

true. rim needs to deliver fast
    04-18-10 01:06 PM
    Overall not even close, it probably wouldn't come close to topping the iPhone OS as it stands now.
    04-18-10 01:11 PM
    true. rim needs to deliver fast
    I think they just need to deliver correctly. Rushing is what gets these companies in trouble.

Better is very subjective and depends on the user. For me, depends what I need as none deliver everything I want in a phone or I'd have only one.

With that said, for me, it will not be "better". Some aspects will be better on the BB OS and some better on the iPhone OS.
    04-18-10 01:17 PM
    Overall not even close, it probably wouldn't come close to topping the iPhone OS as it stands now.
    True. Let's hope RIM doesn't **** up OS6 otherwise they'll be on ebay. LOLOLOL
    04-18-10 01:17 PM
    My choice is "other"... just added.
    04-18-10 01:50 PM
    Only time will tell. Remember its RIM. So probably NO. =)

04-18-10 02:00 PM
    I seriously doubt it. RIM's next OS will much of the same core design as the existing one. (Still based on parsing of databases and buggy code hiding behind the scenes.)
    04-18-10 02:04 PM
    I seriously doubt it. RIM's next OS will much of the same core design as the existing one. (Still based on parsing of databases and buggy code hiding behind the scenes.)
    Can you explain what you mean by this parsing of databases?

04-18-10 02:29 PM
    I think we're jumping the gun a little here. We have to assume that BBOS 6.0 would be better than iPhone 3.0. And if 6.0 is still basically 5.0 then no. RIM has a lot of work to do to even get close to the iPhone OS. It's nowhere near Android either and 6.0 will probably disappoint as well.
    04-18-10 02:48 PM
    I hope RIM doesn't use the browser they showed in the video a few months ago because that one still looked outdated.
    04-18-10 02:58 PM

I agree: No.
    04-18-10 03:01 PM
    Wasnt the story that 6.0 was just 5.2 renamed to 6.0? Sounds like an incremental upgrade if so.

I dont think anyone will see 6.0 anytime soon, they havent even got official 5.0 out for all the devices yet.
    04-18-10 03:12 PM
    Hopefully RIM will buy Palm so we can see WebOS on some BlackBerries.
    04-18-10 03:19 PM
    Define top...
    For a business user it already 'tops' it with functionality.

If your thinking in terms of media... No
    i'd beg to differ, but how so?
    04-18-10 05:38 PM
    Can you explain what you mean by this parsing of databases?

All aspects of the data contained within the BB are just a bunch of databases. The apps to display this information use a set of instructions to parse those databases and display the info in different ways to you.

For example, the Messages database holds all the emails from all your configured email accounts. The Messages icon can be set to display either one, none, more then one, or all email account contents within the icon. Conversely, each of the email account icons always parse the Messages database and look for email that consist of the respective email address for that account icon.

The same thing holds true for the Phone Calls History database. It can be parsed by the Phone app, the Messages icon app (if you have Call Logging set to "on"), etc. A lot of the small glitches with displaying the info, scrolling through the info, the issues with Threaded SMS views, fluidity, etc. is all inherent to all this parsing of the countless databases that house all the data on the phone. Think of the BB OS like an SQL or Oracle based set of apps and you'll see why it's sometimes a bit inefficient. While databases can be usefull for storage of data in large quantaties, it also can cause problems when it comes to complex programs written to poll/parse those databases. The more you try and manipulate that intricate data within the databases, the slower things can get.
    04-18-10 06:46 PM
    All aspects of the data contained within the BB are just a bunch of databases. The apps to display this information use a set of instructions to parse those databases and display the info in different ways to you.

For example, the Messages database holds all the emails from all your configured email accounts. The Messages icon can be set to display either one, none, more then one, or all email account contents within the icon. Conversely, each of the email account icons always parse the Messages database and look for email that consist of the respective email address for that account icon.

The same thing holds true for the Phone Calls History database. It can be parsed by the Phone app, the Messages icon app (if you have Call Logging set to "on"), etc. A lot of the small glitches with displaying the info, scrolling through the info, the issues with Threaded SMS views, fluidity, etc. is all inherent to all this parsing of the countless databases that house all the data on the phone. Think of the BB OS like an SQL or Oracle based set of apps and you'll see why it's sometimes a bit inefficient. While databases can be usefull for storage of data in large quantaties, it also can cause problems when it comes to complex programs written to poll/parse those databases. The more you try and manipulate that intricate data within the databases, the slower things can get.
    I'm confused. That's how apps work, regardless of OS. Why is it bad on the BlackBerry?
    04-18-10 07:35 PM
    I'm confused. That's how apps work, regardless of OS. Why is it bad on the BlackBerry?
    ALL data runs through BIS. If there's an outage, you're SOL.

Oh, and all data on BIS is naturally slow.
    04-18-10 07:38 PM
    As a former BB user, I don't see OS6 topping the iPhone 4.0 OS, as slow as RIM is taking to even get out OS5 to all devices is kinda a crock... They still haven't caught up to the current iPhone OS... and without sounding like a fan boy, when a BB doesn't have to have it's bat pulled every 2-3 days or a week for a reboot, then anyone can say that it does, I think the ratio of reboots from my iPhone to BB are like 1 to 50... once that issue is fixed, and no truncated emails.. and a better browser... then it would compare to OS3... I'm running the beta of 4.0 and I'm just getting impatient with anticipating for the future beta releases, yea it's kinda buggy still, but even with it being buggy, it's not worse than any BB I've had with a non beta version... now that says it all
    04-18-10 07:38 PM
    BlackberryOS is fail.
    04-18-10 07:39 PM
    As a former BB user, I don't see OS6 topping the iPhone 4.0 OS, as slow as RIM is taking to even get out OS5 to all devices is kinda a crock... They still haven't caught up to the current iPhone OS... and without sounding like a fan boy, when a BB doesn't have to have it's bat pulled every 2-3 days or a week for a reboot, then anyone can say that it does, I think the ratio of reboots from my iPhone to BB are like 1 to 50... once that issue is fixed, and no truncated emails.. and a better browser... then it would compare to OS3... I'm running the beta of 4.0 and I'm just getting impatient with anticipating for the future beta releases, yea it's kinda buggy still, but even with it being buggy, it's not worse than any BB I've had with a non beta version... now that says it all
    not always rim's fault. sometimes it's the carrier.
    04-18-10 07:41 PM

Civic is saying the databases are on the BlackBerry, not on BIS. What data are you referring to?
    04-18-10 07:48 PM
    -------
    Originally Posted by synthmole:
    --------

Since you posted in reply to synthmole's statement, you must be talking about apps, and it's not true that all app data runs through BIS, and that's not why civic is saying it's inefficient.

If you don't believe this, then go into Manage Connection, turn off your radio, and do a search Messages. Or, for that matter, browse or search through your calendar entries.

Bada bing. No BIS required.

She's saying its inefficient because bloated databases have to be parsed when queried, and this happens locally, on the device. It has nothing to do with BIS.

04-18-10 07:58 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD