Long story short, I have an upgrade through Verizon on April 2nd.

I have a Bold 9650 and am looking at an iPhone 4 32gb or maybe an Android based phone.

I played around with the iPhone and the HTC Thunderbolt. I liked the idea of more customization and screen size of the HTC.

However the iPhone was much smoother and fluid with its transitions on the touch screen. I guess if I wanted to customize it I could jailbreak it (not sure how I feel about that).

If I was leaning any direction, it would be the iPhone, but with the current model already out for a year, do I wait for Apple to come out with a new one? If so how long should I wait?

I may be more keen on Android if I knew anything about it, but I don't and I know a little about iPhones at least.
    03-22-11 07:01 PM
    Imo....I would wait to see what iphone5 has to offer and who knows mayb the Bold Touch! But if ur interested in android I think I would wait for the moto devices to come out if batt life is a concern. Having said all that I have never had an HTC device so this advice comes with some speculation!!
    03-22-11 07:16 PM
    I would definitely wait.
    I'm eligible for an upgrade and I'm waiting to see what the iPhone 5 has to offer.
    I'm also following the upcoming BB Dakota as well.
    Android phones are of no interest to me.
    03-22-11 08:02 PM
    I would definitely wait.
    I'm eligible for an upgrade and I'm waiting to see what the iPhone 5 has to offer.
    I'm also following the upcoming BB Dakota as well.
    Android phones are of no interest to me.
    I'm really not interested in Android either, but they were at least worth a look.

Unfortunately, I am just not a patient person and the current iPhone seems to have everything I want. What else could they do, better processor? Camera?
    03-22-11 08:11 PM
    The fact that you're not patient makes me think you should just get the i4. You're going to hate the wait.
    03-22-11 08:43 PM
    I'm really not interested in Android either, but they were at least worth a look.

Unfortunately, I am just not a patient person and the current iPhone seems to have everything I want. What else could they do, better processor? Camera?
    They will probably have a metal back instead of glass and possibly a better processor and camera.

This release is probably not going to be a huge upgrade, but I could be wrong.

If the iphone 4 is what you want, then go for it. You just may be feeling like you should have waited when v5 comes out.
    03-22-11 08:56 PM

Iphone is going to be an upgrade to the bold hands down! If you can give up the kb i bet you will be happy. For me I want to c the bold touch compared to the new iphone. I feel if BB catches up a bunch I might not want to part with the kb yet. If it is still way behind I look forward to trying the iphone5!! But if the current iphone will satisfy you then go for it because there will always be something new and exciting out. Just remember as far as contracts with an iphone you are stuck with a two year contract.......
    03-22-11 09:03 PM
    My biggest advice for people wondering if the should get the iPhone 4 now or wait for the iPhone 5 is this, "is there a feature you want that the iPhone 4 lacks that you want now?"

Most of the people I talk to say, well maybe 4G. I ask what they do on the Internet...if it's not heavy with data streaming than 3G will be jus fine. If you want 4G see if it is slated or currently in your area already.

I grabbed the iPhone 4 because there isn't a feature that it doesn't already have that I wanted. I was looking for a high resolution screen, fluid UI, and a good media player...iPhone was the logical choice. Oh, a huge win for the iPhone is the battery life. I have had countless Android devices with fair to poor battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-11 09:49 PM
    My biggest advice for people wondering if the should get the iPhone 4 now or wait for the iPhone 5 is this, "is there a feature you want that the iPhone 4 lacks that you want now?"

Most of the people I talk to say, well maybe 4G. I ask what they do on the Internet...if it's not heavy with data streaming than 3G will be jus fine. If you want 4G see if it is slated or currently in your area already.

I grabbed the iPhone 4 because there isn't a feature that it doesn't already have that I wanted. I was looking for a high resolution screen, fluid UI, and a good media player...iPhone was the logical choice. Oh, a huge win for the iPhone is the battery life. I have had countless Android devices with fair to poor battery life.

The only thing I would like is a bigger screen, other than that, the iPhone 4 has everything I could need and more.
    03-22-11 09:53 PM
    ^^^^ Yeah for a touch screen. 4" would seem to be the size screen that would best fit me. 4.3 was too big of a phone for me overall. Even though the big screen was very nice for some things

03-22-11 10:15 PM
    ^^^^ Yeah for a touch screen. 4" would seem to be the size screen that would best fit me. 4.3 was too big of a phone for me overall. Even though the big screen was very nice for some things

Yeah I thought the 4.3" on my droid X was too big also. 4" would be perfect. What is weird was that my hands felt cramped on my X, but don't on my smaller iPhone 4 screen. I think it is how the keyboard is setup. Also I can type better on the iPhone then I did the X.
    03-23-11 07:24 AM
    I actually prefer the 3.5" screen. I have had the X (4.3") and the Fascinate (4"), but I have been a fan of the 3.5". I don't have huge hands so that's not the issue. I really just prefer the smaller and more pocketable size. If the only thing you want is a bigger screen...wait.

From what seems to be going around in rumors with the iPhone 5, it might have that bigger screen. But with that bigger screen, you'll have to give something up. Screen resolution is seomthing you might have to give. Apple will want to keep away from fragmentation of their apps...so with a bigger screen with the same resolution, lower pixel density.
    03-23-11 09:42 AM
    Wait, you don't want to sign a two year contract for something that will be "old" in about 2.5 months
    03-23-11 10:29 AM
    Wait, you don't want to sign a two year contract for something that will be "old" in about 2.5 months
    I would wait, but is there any clue as to whether Verizon will get it right away too, or will there will be another exclusivity agreement?

If its a 6month or 1 year wait for Verizon to get the iPhone 5, I would just get the iPhone 4 now.
    03-23-11 10:36 AM
    Its the old thing of something 'newer and better' just down the line - one would never upgrade at all (or go bust doing so every month or so) - if you wait for the next best thing.

Moving from a BB (had to as my PIM service with Yahoo no longer compatible with RIM), I looked at both the iPhone (which was compatible) and Android (not, and would have meant a migration to Gmail) - I chose the iPhone not just because of the compatibility, but its relative ease of use.

Apple's neurotic enforcement of its software and apps, while unappealing, does limit the issues (and sometimes, usefulness) of applications - and Apple does see it more as a content delivery device to the iTunes Store rather than a phone - so its sort of a 'Smartphone for Dummies' - but if that will work for you, I'd go with it.

That said - and given the recent refresh of the iPad, I don't think you'll find anything earth-shatteringly new in whatever the iPhone 5 might bring. A slight increase in screen size has been suggested, maybe a few cosmetic and hardware tweaks - but for everyday smartphone stuff (and the Apps that support it), the current iPhone works.
    03-23-11 10:45 AM
    Get the i4. When the new iPhone comes out, probably going to be called iPhone 4S or something similar, sell the i4 and use the money from that to get the newer version.
    03-23-11 02:26 PM
    The "rumor" is that the i5 will have a 4 inch screen. To me, that is the perect size. After using my Atrix, it doesn't feel too big at all like I thought a bigger screen would. EVO's 4'3 is definitely too big. It's like Goldilocks and her finding baby bear's bed perfect.

If it has everything you want, make the plunge... but if a bigger screen may be something you'd want, waiting for the announcement at least (hopefully next month) would be my suggestion.
    03-23-11 02:54 PM
    I'm going to play with it in the store a bit more. A lot of my guy friends are pushing me towards the HTC Thunderbolt.

However, my girlfriend wants me to get the iPhone 4, I think my decision has already been made for me.
    03-24-11 09:27 AM
    iPhones do hold value very well. I sold a two year old 3GS for 240 yesterday. I see the OG Droid going for 100 bucks locally.

03-24-11 09:47 AM
    Went to another Verizon shop, I think these sales associates are instructed to push Droid when the person wants a smartphone.

I said, "I'm interested in the HTC Thunderbolt and iPhone 4 32gb." Response was, "Thunderbolt, this area is going 4g in the next few months and will leave that iPhone in the dust."

About the only thing I could get them to say was the iPhone's touch screen and battery life was better.
    03-24-11 06:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD