09-26-10 11:46 PM
100 1234
tools
    I'm still having issues with notifications of emails. Sigh... I'm getting them, but the vibrate is relatively weak and the sound seems low. Is it possible to get better email notification sounds?

I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
    It's possible. You need to be jailbroken. Then you basically replace the original sounds with replacements that are louder.

The vibrate seems strong to me and it startles me on occasion. Perhaps there's something wrong with yours. Compare it against another one and if it's much weaker, you should probably exchange your device.
    09-05-10 09:03 PM
    I appreciate your responding. I don't think anything is wrong with the vibrate. I purchased 2 iPhone 4's at the same time and they seem good. It may be that I'm used to the vibrate of the bb 9700. Once I get a case and can wear it on my belt, I expect the issue to get better.

I've never jail broken a phone. Can the new iPhone be jail broken? I'm loving the feel and experience; however, I may be having withdrawal issues from the bb. I'm sure things will get better. It's only gene 2 days. Lol.
    09-05-10 09:09 PM
    I appreciate your responding. I don't think anything is wrong with the vibrate. I purchased 2 iPhone 4's at the same time and they seem good. It may be that I'm used to the vibrate of the bb 9700. Once I get a case and can wear it on my belt, I expect the issue to get better.

I've never jail broken a phone. Can the new iPhone be jail broken? I'm loving the feel and experience; however, I may be having withdrawal issues from the bb. I'm sure things will get better. It's only gene 2 days. Lol.
    If you have 2 iPhones that are the same, odds are they're normal. You'll get used to it after a while. I usually have my phone on silent and I've gotten very sensitive to both the vibrate and the sound of the vibrator.

Jailbreaking the phone is very easy, but it depends on the firmware version on your phone. If you are on 4.0.1 or 4.0.0, you can jailbreak it by going to jailbreakme.com. If you're on 4.0.2, you'll have to wait until they release one for 4.1. Changing the tones was pretty easy, took about 5 minutes when I tried it on my 3GS last year.
    09-05-10 09:48 PM
    I'm 4.0.2 on my iPhone. Like I said.... I like it. Not in love with it, but possibly soon. Lol. I do like the display on the phone. It's nice!

Jailbreak seems like a possibility. Will have to research it. Might have to try it, if I can. The phone works great out out of the box. Just a few minor, and I do mean minor annoyances.
    09-05-10 10:46 PM
    you might want to read this before you jailbreak your new iphone 4

Apple eyes kill switch for jailbroken iPhones • The Register
    09-05-10 11:39 PM
    you might want to read this before you jailbreak your new iphone 4

Apple eyes kill switch for jailbroken iPhones • The Register
    Old news:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/wha...o-ever-521966/
    09-06-10 12:14 AM
    I just ditched my Torch (my 4th BB) for an iPhone 4 and I love it. Yes, I miss BBM and the iPhone notifications are kinda weak, but the phone rocks other than that.
    09-06-10 02:45 AM
    Afraid I'm deserting BB again too. Have gone from iphone to BB and now going back to iphone 4. Originally left iphone due to poor battery life which I believe has now improved somewhat in the latest version. I also still have a lot of paid apps which I can now get use of again. I actually found the keys on my bold 9700 quite difficult to type with and can type quicker on the iphone virtual keypad. iphone gets delivered tomorrow so just hope I am not unlucky enough to get one with proximity sensor or other problems.

I will miss the push emails and the brilliant battery life I had on my bold though.
    09-06-10 07:38 AM

I will miss the push emails and the brilliant battery life I had on my bold though.
    iOS 4 will let you set up multiple Exchange accounts, so as long as you're on Exchange or one of the major email portals, you should still get your emails pushed to you.

Concerning battery life, it's a HUGE improvement. Before, on the 3GS, I would have trouble making it past 3PM, now I make it through the day with a little bit left to spare.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-06-10 at 10:55 AM.
    09-06-10 10:21 AM
    Thanks Roo Zilla. That's good to know. Looking forward to receiving it tomorrow.
    09-06-10 10:46 AM
    Afraid I'm deserting BB again too. Have gone from iphone to BB and now going back to iphone 4. Originally left iphone due to poor battery life which I believe has now improved somewhat in the latest version. I also still have a lot of paid apps which I can now get use of again. I actually found the keys on my bold 9700 quite difficult to type with and can type quicker on the iphone virtual keypad. iphone gets delivered tomorrow so just hope I am not unlucky enough to get one with proximity sensor or other problems.

Coming from a 9700, I can tell you the battery life on the iPhone is not even close to what you have been accustomed to. I do make it through the day with heavy use. Too me -- that is a minimal trade off for everything the iPhone can do.

Email works fine. I set me gmail up on the exchange tab and all my contacts transferred over; which was a pleasant surprise. Not sure how that happened exactly, but I'm glad it did.

The display is beautiful! I'm typing this on my iPad and really can tell the difference between the two.

I won't even mention the apps compared to the bb.

The feel of the iPhone is nice. It feels solid. Looks elegant and sexy. I like this model better than other years. I recently upgraded the iPhone 3G we had on our family account, and I noticed that I prefer the new design over the rounded edges of prior models. Of course ymmv.

Only think I miss is the keyboard and notifications of my bb. The keyboard I'm working through, but the notifications Im struggling with. Damn I miss that red light. But on the other side... I'm not as anal about checking my email as often. The red light would call to me to check it, but i have no issue with the iPhone.

All this being said... I have a sense of loss by leaving my beloved 9700. I loved it. It was easily the best phone I've had. However, I could not continue supporting rim with everything the iPhone 4 had to offer.

Funny that I went to purchase the torch and walked out with an iPhone. I was in denial. The iPhone 4 is easily the best iPhone to date. I love love love facetime app and look forward to new offerings as this technology takes off.

I'm getting the anxious feeling of " oh my God" I left bb feeling, as I type this. I wanting to go back to rim, but they have a lot to do before I head back. I get more enjoyment and overall bang for my buck with the iPhone.
    Last edited by sallenthornton; 09-06-10 at 11:11 AM. Reason: :)
    09-06-10 10:59 AM
    I walked around with a BB 8830 for over 2 years. I was tempted by the Storm, Tour, Curve 2 and finally the newer Bold. For the past year, I've also walked around with an iPod Touch. Every time I got within range of wifi, my iPod Touch would just about outperform my BB push email. I loved it. I got up to 11 pages of apps then scaled back.

On my BB, I never got apps to work worth a darn. Battery pulls were a way of life. Then my BB died and I had to buy a replacement so I got another one off ebay and this time I went to a newer version of OS 4.5 and I never had to do another battery pull just to get filefree. But I still didn't have any third party apps. I figured it wasn't worth bothering with my iPod Touch in the same pocket with my phone. Together, the 2 devices were smaller than the Treo 755p I had before so I was happy. For a while.

Last week, I had a few incidents that convinced me it was time to switch. i ported my line to At&t. This turned out to be a 15 minute process in the Apple store. My phone already had all my contacts, email and calendar before I left the Apple store. I got home, wiped the blackberry and turned it off for the last time. I couldn't be happier. I got a case so my phone doesn't fall out and crack or get all scratched up.

I've been taking pictures. 70 pics in less than a week. It's nice to have a camera phone that can email pix and not just sms them. Oh, right. Come to think of it, it's nice to finally have a camera phone. My 8830 had no camera due to arcane polices in place at my employer at the time.

I was able to produce the death grip to lose signal but I can easily avoid it. No big deal at all. I know some 3GS users who love their phones. I've read some like the 3GS better than iPhone 4. Are you kidding? Multitasking? Higher resolution? iPhone 4 is a great phone and I'm glad I switched.
    Last edited by r0k; 09-06-10 at 11:55 PM.
    09-06-10 11:52 PM
    I have to admit... The camera on the iPhone is decent. I'm really enjoying the facetime app also. My only issue is the notifications and an anxiousness that I am feeling about not having my bb next to me. Even as I write this I keep looking at the 9700 on the counter. For some reason, I'm having trouble deciding wether to sell it or not.

Blackberrys have treated me good through the years, and we have been through good times and bad. Thinking about it... I am just tired of being envious of other iPhone users. They seem to always have an app for that(lol).

Honestly, if I had a job that email, messaging and talking on a phone were the most important... I would use an bb. Looking at my usage the last few months... I have averaged less than 400 minutes between 2 lines.

I work for the government, so email is used often. I reply from my desktop during the day and rarely have email come on later in the evening. Alaska is 1-4 hours behind the lower 48, which means places are closed during by the time I get off work.

Do miss the calander of the bb.. With officiating hockey, I felt like it managed my schedule easier. But, that could have more to do with me being familiar with the bb way of doing things.

Either way.... I'm on the iPhone train and I'm. Ot sure of I'm getting off any tome soon.
    09-07-10 12:21 AM
    Can I have someones old BB? ive been interested in trying one out for a while... just a broke pre med college student
    09-07-10 09:40 PM
    I have to admit... The camera on the iPhone is decent. .
    Whsn the 4.1 update is out, try out the HDR feature. In mixed light situations, it's amazing.
    09-07-10 10:02 PM
    I'm anxious to try it. I like hdr photos. I the iPhone camera can pulpit some decent pictures. I will be extremely impressed.

Email has been working well throughout the day. I hope to find a better app for managing my contact; with the bb, I could start typing a name and the contact would come up. Haven't notched a way to find numbers quickley on the iPhone. I'm sure there has to be a better way.
    09-07-10 10:17 PM
    4.1 will fix many push e-mail issues among other annoying bugs, you guys will really like it.
    09-07-10 11:06 PM
    I'm anxious to try it. I like hdr photos. I the iPhone camera can pulpit some decent pictures. I will be extremely impressed.

Email has been working well throughout the day. I hope to find a better app for managing my contact; with the bb, I could start typing a name and the contact would come up. Haven't notched a way to find numbers quickley on the iPhone. I'm sure there has to be a better way.
    Perhaps you mieses it, but there's a search box in contacts. Once you start typing, names start popping up. Also you can search in the universal search box too.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-07-10 at 11:37 PM.
    09-07-10 11:33 PM
    Thanks. Wow! Reading my post -- I really need to learn this keyboard. Lol. Errors all over.

The phone is pretty nice. Definitely things the bb does better, but it seems trivial compared to everything the phone can do.

I'm in a very strong AT&T coverage area so no dropped calls for me( knock on wood).
    09-07-10 11:46 PM
    Thanks. Wow! Reading my post -- I really need to learn this keyboard. Lol. Errors all over.

The phone is pretty nice. Definitely things the bb does better, but it seems trivial compared to everything the phone can do.

I'm in a very strong AT&T coverage area so no dropped calls for me( knock on wood).
    The secret to typing on iPhone is to trust it. Just stab at where you think the letters should be and let the auto correction fix it for you. After a bit you'll get better and don't even need to look at the keys.
    09-08-10 12:00 AM
    I'm starting to learn about trusting the keyboard. It works great. I just need more time with it I guess.

Is it possible to add words In the dictionary? It keeps trying to correcting words that are spelled correctly, but the phone doesn't recognize.

I must admit they phone is a pleasure to tinker with and I'm enjoying the experience compared to my previous attempts at using the iPhone 3G and 3GS. I'm not sure how to explain it; the phone seems "different" this time around. I like the style, screen and look. It's a beautiful. And the operating system seems more refined than previous years; however minimal the changes, it's definately polished.
    09-08-10 12:31 AM
    I'm starting to learn about trusting the keyboard. It works great. I just need more time with it I guess.

Is it possible to add words In the dictionary? It keeps trying to correcting words that are spelled correctly, but the phone doesn't recognize.

I must admit they phone is a pleasure to tinker with and I'm enjoying the experience compared to my previous attempts at using the iPhone 3G and 3GS. I'm not sure how to explain it; the phone seems "different" this time around. I like the style, screen and look. It's a beautiful. And the operating system seems more refined than previous years; however minimal the changes, it's definately polished.
    The dictionary adds words you use frequently automatically. After a while, it should stop correcting you. I don't believe there's a manual way to add words.

I also agree, the i4 is much better than previous iterations of the phone. I believe it has a lot to do with the hardware, specifically, the A4 processor. Going to a more powerful and yet less power hungry processor has let Apple add a lot more features without sacrificing battery life, which was a major complaint with the 3GS. The more powerful processor and GPU allows the i4 to use the retina display which is incredible. I no longer have to zoom when reading web pages because the text is so sharp I can still read it.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-08-10 at 12:40 AM.
    09-08-10 12:38 AM
    I no longer have to zoom when reading web pages because the text is so sharp I can still read it.[/QUOTE]

+1 This is one of the best things I've found so far! The improved battery life is a nice perk too. I could say it is very similar to the HTC Incredible I had before going with AT&T but I have found the iphone to be much easier to set up and use.
    09-08-10 05:54 AM
    one thing that turned me off with the iphone 4 was the Form factor..
    i prefer the way the 3G and the 3GS were made.. the curves..
    i wonder now with the new ipod touch.. why they didn't go with that direction..
    i guess the antenna design? being all around the device?
    09-08-10 12:11 PM
    Well, got the iphone 4 delivered yesterday so, after the first 24 hours I am really enjoying it. In the UK and went with Orange this time instead of O2. Signal is a bit patchy indoors but bearable. Got a lovely case for it which I would highly recommend....Incipio Silicrylic.

My last iphone was the 3g and I see a huge difference. Everything works faster and battery life is looking like it is going to be much better too. I am pretty impressed with the camera in this one too.

It is working so well I am almost afraid to update to 4.1 in case it all goes horribly wrong. lol
    09-08-10 01:52 PM
100 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD