Love this device, signal is so so, but I think the awesomeness of it makes up for that. So I'm an iPhone noob and I'm pretty unaware of what this device is really capable of. I knew my BB inside and out and I really want to have the same knowledge with my iPhone. Can you guys fill me in or lead me in the direction as to where I can get educated. Also where can I find out thorough information about jailbreaking(Pro's , Con's , etc) thanks !!
    08-10-10 09:01 PM
    Jailbreaking
    If you were a BB Power user then do it.

TIPB.com. (The iPhone blog)

I'm a Jailbreak Veteran so you can...
    Not BBM me.
    Uhh. Lol. Pm me? :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-10 09:21 PM
    Jailbreaking is cool. The only drawback I see is that it slows the phone down just a tiny bit. Coming from BB, it shouldn't be a big deal though. The most common reasons to jailbreak are 3 fold.

1. Unlock to use other carriers.
    2. Customize UI.
    3. Enable Wifi Hotspot.

If you really don't have need of these features, then I would just leave it as it is. You might want to jailbreak and store your SHSH blobs though, in case you change your mind in the future. Then you can go back and forth to see which you prefer.
    08-12-10 10:58 AM
    . . . . . I knew my BB inside and out and I really want to have the same knowledge with my iPhone. . . . . .
    I feel ya! I'm Hesitant about leaving the BB since I'm really comfortable with it. But lately, I've been kinda dissapointed with BB/RIM/OS/ etc . . .

I'm on Verizon and hoping that VZW gets the iPhone soon (January ???). I'm already checking out blogs and sites trying to get a head start getting familiar with the iPhone already
    08-12-10 02:19 PM
    Iphone is a great device and will make many many happy. That being said, i always end up going back to blackberry but i think that's me. Enjoy the iphone, it is very cool and now jailbreaking and unlocking couldn't be easier. Have fun!
    08-12-10 04:03 PM
    Iphone is a great device and will make many many happy. That being said, i always end up going back to blackberry but i think that's me. Enjoy the iphone, it is very cool and now jailbreaking and unlocking couldn't be easier. Have fun!
    Hey DC . . what is your main reason(s) for going back to your blackberry?? Is it the physical keyboard? I'm a BB Storm2 user and I LOVE the "SureType" keyboard, but have never had a BB with a physical keyboard so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

I think the most difficult thing for me to adjust with the iPhone will be the "typing" (if I switch / if VZW gets it).

thanks for your thoughts
    08-12-10 05:08 PM
    I had a 3g before I bought this i4, and jailbreaking did indeed slow my 3G down a little. However, that is not the case with this i4, I guess the beefed up processor is to thank for that. Im having no slow down/lag at all, and Ive been running the JB for 8 or 9 days now.
    08-12-10 05:32 PM
    I'm a Iphone "noob" too!! I just ditched my Berry yesterday and grabbed the IPhone4 yesterday as well. I too knew the berry inside out so this will take some getting used to. I must admit i LOVE not having that red light blinking. (lol) but if my phone is not set to ring folks who text or call will be waiting a while for me to get back to them. i'm still playing around with it, so far i'm loving it. I wish i knew how to remove my google email from this. i'd rather just log in and check/reply to my emails. anyone know how to do that?
    08-16-10 01:02 PM
    Hey DC . . what is your main reason(s) for going back to your blackberry?? Is it the physical keyboard? I'm a BB Storm2 user and I LOVE the "SureType" keyboard, but have never had a BB with a physical keyboard so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

I think the most difficult thing for me to adjust with the iPhone will be the "typing" (if I switch / if VZW gets it).

thanks for your thoughts
    The typing is not difficult to adjust to. In 30 days or so, you will regain nearly the same speed you had on a tactile keyboard. That is my experience.
    08-16-10 01:39 PM
    I agree give it some time to adjust, its a big difference. But your fingers will learn over time to use the touchscreen, trust me, mostly everyone who's tried it has adapted tot he new entry method. Its not all that much slower once you get used to it than a real keyboard. Its not like a computer keyboard where you can really use more than your thumbs anyways if you think about it that way.
    08-16-10 02:05 PM

thanks for your thoughts
    I think my main reason is the experience i get from bberrys that make me go back. It feels as though they are always ready to do whatever i need in a flash. For instance, when getting texts with iphone i get the little preview and then i have to unlock it and then go to the messaging app to see the text. With bbery is faster no unlocking it is there and ready (i get the feeling i am always connected.)

I truly believe the mass email senders and texters have a better experience with bberry and that's who i am. BBM is always missed when i am not on it.

I don't think i could tell you to do this or that but to experience it yourself and decide then, only you will be the one who knows that works best for you.

Best.
    08-16-10 03:23 PM
    I think my main reason is the experience i get from bberrys that make me go back. It feels as though they are always ready to do whatever i need in a flash. For instance, when getting texts with iphone i get the little preview and then i have to unlock it and then go to the messaging app to see the text. With bbery is faster no unlocking it is there and ready (i get the feeling i am always connected.)

I truly believe the mass email senders and texters have a better experience with bberry and that's who i am. BBM is always missed when i am not on it.

I don't think i could tell you to do this or that but to experience it yourself and decide then, only you will be the one who knows that works best for you.

Best.
    Im in the same boat. I love the iphone but always feel like im not 'connected'... been trying to get my BBM'ers onto KIK as that is a huge improvement over SMS - kind of a work in progress though. LOVE the new I4 though...
    08-16-10 03:54 PM
    I got my friday and I'm in love with this phone! lol It meets all my needs and then some!!
    08-16-10 06:25 PM
    Im in the same boat. I love the iphone but always feel like im not 'connected'... been trying to get my BBM'ers onto KIK as that is a huge improvement over SMS - kind of a work in progress though. LOVE the new I4 though...
    ^ agreed,,,,the bb simply works for me
    08-16-10 08:21 PM
    Love this device, signal is so so, but I think the awesomeness of it makes up for that. So I'm an iPhone noob and I'm pretty unaware of what this device is really capable of. I knew my BB inside and out and I really want to have the same knowledge with my iPhone. Can you guys fill me in or lead me in the direction as to where I can get educated. Also where can I find out thorough information about jailbreaking(Pro's , Con's , etc) thanks !!
    Just start reading some of the forums on Tipb and apple. There are plenty of others. You will learn some cool things along the way. I learn something new just about every day.
    08-18-10 08:50 AM
    @Dcgore, I agree with you.

It would be nice if Apple made the 'slide to unlock' optional.
    I'd love to just use the top button to sleep and awake my i4
    08-18-10 10:05 AM
    I'm in love with this phone! lol It meets all my needs and then some!!
    I could not agree more with this post. I came from BB Bold and it is like night and day for me. Such an incredible phone. I was most hesitant about going to touch screen typing from the hard keyboard. Don't sweat it. I adjusted in the first few days. If I could, anyone can.

08-21-10 05:41 AM
    Long time blackberry owner but have left for the Iphone4. Too many reasons to list why I left RIM. RIM is on a downward trajectory. Bye Crackberry ... final post. ...your mom's box
    08-21-10 01:34 PM
    I was most hesitant about going to touch screen typing from the hard keyboard. Don't sweat it. I adjusted in the first few days. If I could, anyone can.

Yep! That was my hesitation as well. I initially got rid of my acrylic nails, but have them back now and can still type on the touch screen! Hubby even commented on how fast I was typing last night!
    08-31-10 10:18 AM
    a different perspective here..
    after years with an iphone 3G then 3GS i have switched to a BB a few months ago..( although i have been using a BB curve for work ever since)
    now even with the iphone 4 i still picked up the Torch for my personal phone..
    i still have the curve for work.

anyone who does multi media a lot in a given day.. like iphoto.. youtube watching, video playback will LOVE the retina display of the iphone 4..
    those who are familiar with itunes will get comfy with the iphone 4 as well.

Now, for others like me who are attached to a physical keyboard and typing a lot on their phones ( > 4 paragraphs/ email) , who likes the LED notification and who have at least 4 emails that are updated from time to time.. then the BB is the IDEAL device.

if you're coming from an iphone... the iphone 4 will excite you for a bout a week.. then you realize that there's nothing much you can do in terms of customization.
    09-01-10 06:06 AM
    I too ditched my Bold 9700 and got an iPhone 4. It's like a breath of fresh air, I am not restricted whatsoever, apps are great and the browser is amazing! It's so fast!
    09-04-10 07:03 PM
    I decided to leave RIM as I wasn't impressed with the Torch and RIM seem to be doing the same things time and time again. I think the UI of OS6 was pretty much similar to iPhone4 obviously just not as advanced - try harder next time!
    09-04-10 07:05 PM
    I too switched to the iPhone 4 from a 9700. The browser is great and the email is "adequate." I'm loving the phone, but the battery is no where near the level of the 9700, but I knew that when I switched devices.

The funny thing is -- I had purchased iPhones before and had returned them. The iPhone 4 seems to have addressed all the areas that I felt needed improvement (battery life, better email, etc.). I prefer the new design compRed to previous models also.

I do miss my keyboard of the 9700. I'm hoping that goes away as I use the phone more. I'm reluctant to sell my existing blackberry due to it being an candidate for the new web kit browser and the fear of not having a blackberry around. I get anxious when I start to think of selling it. The 9700 is a fantastic phone that falls short in few areas.

For all blackberry owners who are contempting a switch; the time may be right. The new iPhone has been a delight to use. I'm a rim guy, but until they come up with phone that "wows" me.... I'm staying where I'm at. And that's with the iPhone 4.

Here's to hoping rim releases an amazing phone in the future. I'm a bb fan that wants to come back, but for now, I get more bang from my buck using the iPhone.
    Last edited by sallenthornton; 09-05-10 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Add comment
    09-05-10 10:31 AM
    I am still loving my iphone!! No battery pulls anymore!! Yay!!!
    09-05-10 07:19 PM
    I'm still having issues with notifications of emails. Sigh... I'm getting them, but the vibrate is relatively weak and the sound seems low. Is it possible to get better email notification sounds?

I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
    09-05-10 07:31 PM
100 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD