The retailer didn't even know that much. I don't keep banking info in my phone and wouldn't know the first thing about how to go about it. I don't use PayPal either, and I pay for apps via carrier billing. So this is all very new to me, and I had no idea who to ask. But I did think the retailers should know enough about their system to guide me in the right direction. Untrue, sad to say.
    How did you expect to be charged for you purchase, then? You have to have some sort of financial account set up. NFC is just a kind of wireless data transmission.
    10-28-14 01:30 PM
    I would much rather the free market figure it out just like it did with Betamax vs VHS and Blu-ray vs HD-DVD than have governments pick a winner.
    I get what you're saying, I really do. But you just picked 2 classic examples where the inferior product won out in the free market.

Penned via Tapatalk
    10-28-14 01:47 PM
    Given that it's been said that retail stores don't know how to operate NFC terminals, even if they've been installed, and up until now, all the NFC payment systems haven't been very popular with the general public, how would turning off the NFC terminals affect these retail outlets? The only demand to have them turn back on will be from Apple Pay users. Is there a big enough group of these user to cause these retailers to cave in due to lost business? Probably not.
    10-28-14 01:48 PM
    Given that it's been said that retail stores don't know how to operate NFC terminals, even if they've been installed, and up until now, all the NFC payment systems haven't been very popular with the general public, how would turning off the NFC terminals affect these retail outlets? The only demand to have them turn back on will be from Apple Pay users. Is there a big enough group of these user to cause these retailers to cave in due to lost business? Probably not.
    I think those claims that the stores don't know how to operate them, the terminals not being popular, etc.. Is an exaggeration. I use NFC terminals all the time, and see a lot of others use them as well. I know that Denver CO doesn't represent the entire country, as it's neither an LA/NYC, nor is it a backwater bayou. It's a pretty good indicator of general trends though.

Penned via Tapatalk
    10-28-14 01:55 PM
    Is there a big enough group of these user to cause these retailers to cave in due to lost business? Probably not.
    Probably not. However, it's kind of like wifi in coffee shops. When Starbucks started it, it was a novelty. Before you know it most mom & pop coffee shops are out of business. Was it the wifi? Probably not.
    10-28-14 01:58 PM
    I really don't get the turning off NFC to disable ApplePay. Unless you stop accepting credit cards altogether, and that's a terrible business model, how is not accepting one form of credit card payment going to bolster your method of choice?
    xandermac likes this.
    10-28-14 03:38 PM
    I really don't get the turning off NFC to disable ApplePay. Unless you stop accepting credit cards altogether, and that's a terrible business model, how is not accepting one form of credit card payment going to bolster your method of choice?
    Because Apple Pay is so fast that it makes CurrentC look foolish. I took a taxi today. I had my phone in my hand anyway. We got to the destination. I accepted the tip/ total. I tapped my phone on the terminal with my thumb on the home button. No need to open any app. Done.

I had a push notification with details of the transaction before I could open the door.

The problem is how clunky and slow CurrentC will look in comparison when they launch.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    10-28-14 04:26 PM
    By preventing it from grabbing an early foothold on the market? If Apple Pay works well, and no doubt it probably does, what's the incentive for anyone to switch away from it? Apple will start with its customer base and when it looks like another competitor might fill the gap for Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, etc., they'll probably release an app for those OS'es, kinda like expanding to the PC market for iPods with iTunes.
    10-28-14 04:29 PM
    Turning off NFC doesn't negate using credit cards altogether. You can still swipe cards with the magnetic reader. Turning off NFC only disables NFC transactions. Ie.. Mobile payments, cards utilizing Pay Pass with an RFID chip etc..

Where things will get sticky, is when magnetic strips are phased out altogether. But that's a long time coming in the US. By Oct 2015 a majority of retailers are supposed to support EMV which utilizes the chip/pin method. But even then, retailers are going to have to support the older method until everybody (consumers) have been brought on board.

Until that happens, there will be multiple plays for dominance in the field.

This situation actually gives Google Wallet an advantage over Apple Pay. Walk into a retail outlet... NFC is shutdown... And Google Wallet owners can just whip out their Wallet Card, swipe, and go.

Penned via Tapatalk
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 10-28-14 at 04:44 PM.
    10-28-14 04:31 PM
    Yes, obviously I'd need some sort of financial acct set up, but I thought it would be through the retailer. I really thought there would be a cvs app for this, where you can securely store credit card info on their servers and then the app lets you use NFC to access that info when you tap your phone on their pay machines. From what I've read, that's how it works at Tim Horton's in Canada, isn't it?

You can tell that in the US this is all brand new. Nobody I know - and I hang with some very tech-savvy folks - has a clue how this stuff works either. Hopefully this will all change soon.

How did you expect to be charged for you purchase, then? You have to have some sort of financial account set up. NFC is just a kind of wireless data transmission.
    Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.3253/3182 Radio
    10-28-14 04:54 PM
    Some problems with your post, OP:
    1. Omitting the fact that it's not just Apple pay that was disabled. It was contactless payments as a whole that were disabled, meaning Google Wallet and every other NFC-based system was shut out as well. You'd know that, and the reasons why it was done if you did more than look for an anti-Apple headline to run with.
    2. Framing your post to suggest that security issues are to blame. Lazy and unnecessary.
    3. No source, credible or otherwise is provided so that readers of your post can get the facts for themselves. There are at least two articles posted to imore.com covering this that you could've linked to, but chose not to.
    4. Ignoring the true reason behind the move by CVS and others just to feed into the Apple hate that seems to be common among members of this forum. Be better than that, if you can.

Hating Apple, everything they do, and everything they stand for seems to be the law of the land around here, but that's no reason to post things like this. You give BlackBerry fans a bad name.
    10-28-14 05:50 PM
    Yes, and I have no doubt that they'll pull the App if they don't get what they want. If MCX can be anti-competitive I'm certain Apple can play harder!... Apple hold MCXs entire business model in their hands by virtue of MCXs dependency on the App Store.

If they want to play silly buggers with a behemoth they should not expect a rosy outcome.
    Yup. Apple and ethics don't often mix.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 06:05 PM
    Yes, obviously I'd need some sort of financial acct set up, but I thought it would be through the retailer. I really thought there would be a cvs app for this, where you can securely store credit card info on their servers and then the app lets you use NFC to access that info when you tap your phone on their pay machines. From what I've read, that's how it works at Tim Horton's in Canada, isn't it?
    Doing at the Tim Hortons way would be a novelty. Most people aren't going to install a specific app just to use mobile payments at a particular retailer especially if that means that the retailer has your bank account information. That would mean true vulnerability to hackers being able to empty your bank account from Russia. Yikes.
    10-28-14 06:45 PM
    Yup. Apple and ethics don't often mix.

Posted via CB10
    There's nothing unethical about it. That's just silly.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-28-14 08:34 PM
    Let's waste money to create a system for a platform that no one use..really smart! if you have missed it, Blackberry market share is less than 1%
    You're joking right? So just because BlackBerry has a low market share let's not develop apps for their users, especially considering their niche of the business user.... That being said, there's already some proof they're working on it, in recent leaks you can find a BlackBerry Wallet app when you disect the OS files.

Besides all that, they just need to create an app that communicates with bank servers through bank partnerships. They'd get nothing but positive momentum from this. Partnering with banks which in turn they can convert to clients and banks love every way that allows their customers to make money and let them analyze their behaviour.
    Case in point, my bank already groups purchases done by debet card in different categories => https://touch.kbc.be/en/illustrated
    They're already started working on a system that tracks users exact position within the store, identifying at which products they stop to send targeted deals and coupons... it's the way forward and it will come sooner than you think.

When there are enough competitors for Apple Pay, NFC payments will be enabled and accessible to anyone with a smartphone. the MCX alliance is using outdated technology and won't be breaking through, it's taking them way too long to bring their product to market and now it's already obsolete.
    10-29-14 05:53 AM
    You're joking right? So just because BlackBerry has a low market share let's not develop apps for their users, especially considering their niche of the business user.... That being said, there's already some proof they're working on it, in recent leaks you can find a BlackBerry Wallet app when you disect the OS files.

Besides all that, they just need to create an app that communicates with bank servers through bank partnerships. They'd get nothing but positive momentum from this. Partnering with banks which in turn they can convert to clients and banks love every way that allows their customers to make money and let them analyze their behaviour.
    Case in point, my bank already groups purchases done by debet card in different categories => https://touch.kbc.be/en/illustrated
    They're already started working on a system that tracks users exact position within the store, identifying at which products they stop to send targeted deals and coupons... it's the way forward and it will come sooner than you think.

When there are enough competitors for Apple Pay, NFC payments will be enabled and accessible to anyone with a smartphone. the MCX alliance is using outdated technology and won't be breaking through, it's taking them way too long to bring their product to market and now it's already obsolete.
    If anyone should be doing this it's blackberry. It ties in with their entire reputation as the device for business.
    10-29-14 05:55 AM
    Man this is ruining it for all other NFC platforms, smh. It's like anywhere Apple can, it tries to get some money out of it. Next thing you know, they're trying to charge the merchant a fee to breathe a space where a mobile device exists in.

EDIT: Imma just add that as I read further, fees aren't really the issue rather data access. Oh how 2014 has grown on the consumer market.
    10-29-14 06:55 AM
    Sorry, but developing mobile payments depends on the ability to influence consumer behavior in a big way and push around large financial an retail institutions. This is exactly what BlackBerry can not to do in the market.
    10-29-14 06:57 AM
    Nothing wrong with that. However, I was hoping to eventually move to a more secure method where I'm not handing my credit card to people all day or using the actual credit card number online. Once a year or so my card gets compromised and I end up having to dispute some charges and change my numbers.

I will be getting a new Amazon Rewards card that I plan to exclusively use with Apple Pay as much as possible and not even carry it around nor enter the number in online. I'm sure it will be years before I stop using physical credit cards.
    I personally have not handed my debit or credit card to a retailer in over a year may be closer to 2.

Tap to pay for everything. And where tap not accepted insert it for a chip and pin transaction. Most retailers are forbidden from handling customer cards. If you say debit or credit they tell you to tap your card or insert the chip.

I can see how this apple pay would gain traction in the US as they have not adopted chip and pin and tap to pay.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 08:20 AM
    CurrentC Hacked - Business Insider

not a great start...the story is being spread everywhere over social media. Its a small breach IMO but the headlines alone will kill traction quickly no matter how bad it actually is
    10-29-14 10:55 AM
    CurrentC Hacked - Business Insider

not a great start...the story is being spread everywhere over social media. Its a small breach IMO but the headlines alone will kill traction quickly no matter how bad it actually is
    It's a small breach upon the same cartel that have failed to secure data up until this point. To me, that makes it a big breach and an indication of things to come. Now the phishing scams can proceed. Imagine the data a scammer will have access to.

Apple Pay does it the right way, like it or not.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    10-29-14 11:14 AM
    CurrentC is nothing more, nor less, than datamining on a grand scale.

The members of the "exchange" and there are about 50 of them ( go to the Merchant exchange website to see who they all are) are contractually bound by their own stupidity to support this, and to refuse all other electronic payment systems. It has nothing to do with Apple, or security.

It has everything to do with marketing and having ALL of your personal information on insecure servers.

The main driver behind this stupid system is WalMart. The former president of WalMart is quoted as saying he doesn't care if CurrentC is a success, as long as it hurts VISA.

You give the retailers your SSN, your DL number, direct access to your bank account and your electronic medical records, all so that you can buy a pair of socks at WalMart ?? And some of you seem to think this great because "it hurts Apple". Astounding.

I can hardly wait to see this in use in a busy store where there is a lineup at checkout ...

present your purchases, have the clerk ring up a total and generate a QR code which you then have to scan with an App you open on your phone. The App then generates another QR code which the clerk has to scan with a different reader and presuming all this works, you get to leave the store. Wonderful.

Even the Bank of China has told Chinese firms to quit using QR codes due to the risk of malware and Trojan horses. But it "hurts" Apple, so it's OK.
    xandermac and MikeX74 like this.
    10-29-14 01:00 PM
    Scanning a QR code on the POS display and then scanning a QR code on the phone, lol.

I used electronic boarding passes when they first came out. The difficulties the gate agents have scanning the phone slows down the line.

Again, unless those merchants say "CurrentC or cash only", how is that going to hurt Visa? I can still use my CC. Only I no longer have the convenience of using tap to pay. Brilliant.
    10-30-14 09:32 AM
    Except that the current traditional form is being phased out in favor of more secure methods. CurrentC is just a bid to control a market, which will ultimately accomplish nothing more than delay progress in the US. Progress in an area of which the US is already sorely lagging.

CurrentC is using Exclusivity tactics to manipulate the market. CVS/Rite-Aid are locked into an exclusive agreement. Without the exclusivity, they could offer both CurrentC and NFC payments together.

Penned via Tapatalk
    I agree that the USA is lagging behind other countries. In Canada we no longer use mag stripes to pay with our credit or debit cards. We now use chip and pin. To my knowledge this technology has not been adopted in the US. On my recent trip to SF and NYC I did not encounter one merchant with this technology.

I would venture to guess that it will be a long cold day in he!! before traditional forms of payment ever go away. Not allowing people to pay with their plastic (or even with cash) is not something I see happening. Not everyone will want to pay with their smartphone (or will trust the technology enough). Just like many people still do not bank online or like to use ATM's and prefer going to a branch.
    10-30-14 12:54 PM
    Scanning a QR code on the POS display and then scanning a QR code on the phone, lol.
    Yeah, sounds pretty cumbersome.

I used electronic boarding passes when they first came out. The difficulties the gate agents have scanning the phone slows down the line.
    I only tried this earlier this year. It worked at security(!) and the gate. Unfortunately, not all airports have the QR code reader at security, so a printed boarding pass is necessary.

Again, unless those merchants say "CurrentC or cash only", how is that going to hurt Visa? I can still use my CC. Only I no longer have the convenience of using tap to pay. Brilliant.
    It seems like everyone is talking about how revolutionary it'll be to just tap to pay and not have to carry credit cards around anymore. Well, until NFC is everywhere, just like QR code readers at airports, you can't count on it being available. At the store, you'll just leave empty handed. At the airport, you have to backtrack and potentially have to wait in a long line if automated boarding pass kiosks aren't available.
    10-30-14 12:58 PM
140 ... 3456