I have to wonder why they wouldn't string the antenna through the top of the phone? That's the least likely place for someone to hold it while talking, makes more sense than the bottom where fingers can touch it more easily.
    06-26-10 04:57 PM
    I have to wonder why they wouldn't string the antenna through the top of the phone? That's the least likely place for someone to hold it while talking, makes more sense than the bottom where fingers can touch it more easily.
    One of those lil black slicks is on the top too. I've been using the phone
    without a case all day today. I swear to you, I've been holding the phone
    touching all three black slicks trying to see if I can replicate this issue and I'm
    having no luck. My bars stay exactly that same.
    06-26-10 05:17 PM
    One of those lil black slicks is on the top too. I've been using the phone
    without a case all day today. I swear to you, I've been holding the phone
    touching all three black slicks trying to see if I can replicate this issue and I'm
    having no luck. My bars stay exactly that same.
    It won't be constant for each user. There is a lot of theory and stuff surrounding this particular issue.

For example, if you have any sweat on your hand and touch an antenna then it's a lot worse than a dry hand. Also just a person't skin and other things can really alter how this works. We are big bags of salt water, some with different thickness of bags, and other attributes that are not completely apparent.

If you look at cell phones period you see the antennas are wrapped in places that are least likely to interfere with the signal but some interference always exists. However, the basic design of the iPhone is a flaw because it is glass. Glass has a nifty way of impeding signals when it's also coupled with other elements such as substances for touch screens and circuitry.

The fundamental problem is overall design, not just the antenna. They chose the lesser of most evils, however I believe they should have strung the antenna at the top as opposed to the bottom.
    06-26-10 07:54 PM
    For example, if you have any sweat on your hand and touch an antenna then it's a lot worse than a dry hand. Also just a person't skin and other things can really alter how this works. We are big bags of salt water, some with different thickness of bags, and other attributes that are not completely apparent.
    Well I do have some soft and beautiful hands
    06-26-10 08:03 PM
    Well I do have some soft and beautiful hands
    Ooh... now I will have some pretty dreams.
    06-27-10 12:52 AM
    Listen I'm no iphone fan but I do think it's an impressive device.

However, when you have two identical devices next to each other running identical software and one is displaying signal strength differently then the other then yes, you most certainly have a hardware issue. I have witnessed this exact scenario and the device with the signal issue also had the proximity sensor problem. Take it back and get another one. The only thing that a software fix will do is mask whatever is going on that is causing the problem. It will work like a placebo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-10 03:19 PM
    Listen I'm no iphone fan but I do think it's an impressive device.

However, when you have two identical devices next to each other running identical software and one is displaying signal strength differently then the other then yes, you most certainly have a hardware issue. I have witnessed this exact scenario and the device with the signal issue also had the proximity sensor problem. Take it back and get another one. The only thing that a software fix will do is mask whatever is going on that is causing the problem. It will work like a placebo.

The other one will have the same issue until or unless they correct it.
    06-27-10 03:25 PM
    The other one will have the same issue until or unless they correct it.
    It could, but this issue is not affecting all devices...just some

06-27-10 03:33 PM
    The issue is pure design. I saw an analysis online by some hardware guy and I am sorry I cannot post the link as I forgot it already. But they are saying the optimal way for the new iPhone to transmit is suspended in the air with nothing touching it.

Glass is a very cool idea for a case and look great front and back. But looks are nothing, you need to have something that functions correctly.
    06-27-10 04:33 PM
    Exactly Lazardis has made PLENTY of dumb comments, like people dont want touchscreens. Also when his company can build a flawless build quality, then talk. BBs are no diamonds for build quality by any means.

And assuming its all hardware related issues is nothing more than an assumption at this point.
    Except for the fact that Mr. Lazaridis never made that comment.
    06-27-10 09:07 PM
    Exactly Lazardis has made PLENTY of dumb comments, like people dont want touchscreens. Also when his company can build a flawless build quality, then talk. BBs are no diamonds for build quality by any means.

And assuming its all hardware related issues is nothing more than an assumption at this point.
    Berries have had issues for sure but I think that all of them have actually connected to the network, even when you do CRAZY stuff like holding it.

This particular bug really should have been ironed out before it rolled. I know there's only so much testing you can do, but there should be a better answer than 'don't hold it like that'. Surely they should at least know why its doing that and be making revisions to the hardware. Yes, most users will probably adapt or not notice, but you shouldn't have to hold a device a certain way before it works.
    06-28-10 04:01 AM
    But they are saying the optimal way for the new iPhone to transmit is suspended in the air with nothing touching it.
    Or at the very least, it should be left on its pedestal...
    06-28-10 04:39 AM
    Berries have had issues for sure but I think that all of them have actually connected to the network, even when you do CRAZY stuff like holding it.

This particular bug really should have been ironed out before it rolled. I know there's only so much testing you can do, but there should be a better answer than 'don't hold it like that'. Surely they should at least know why its doing that and be making revisions to the hardware. Yes, most users will probably adapt or not notice, but you shouldn't have to hold a device a certain way before it works.
    A revision of the hardware can't fix this but it can lessen the effects maybe. And I do mean maybe.

This phone is sheathed in glass and silicon, it's basic design is a flaw in terms of radio waves. Couple these two physical items together and you have something that seriously sampens radio waves. That's why most phones out there don't have this particular problem because they're normally housed in plastics that don't absorb radio waves.

The engineers did the best they could with what they were given.

06-28-10 04:41 AM
    Please, Jobs-worshipers out there, try not to flip out and get offended here...I'm not bashing:

I think this is a CLEAR illustration of the difference in priorities between RIM and Apple. While RIM products have recently been released with some flaws in their superficial cosmetics, the "phones" are rock solid. On the other hand you can't get a prettier device or tighter appearing device than the iphone 4 but all of its issues are in the guts of its ability to communicate. Different organizational objectives IMO.

06-28-10 06:33 AM
    Please, Jobs-worshipers out there, try not to flip out and get offended here...I'm not bashing:

I think this is a CLEAR illustration of the difference in priorities between RIM and Apple. While RIM products have recently been released with some flaws in their superficial cosmetics, the "phones" are rock solid. On the other hand you can't get a prettier device or tighter appearing device than the iphone 4 but all of its issues are in the guts of its ability to communicate. Different organizational objectives IMO.

I think it was less to do with priorities and more to do with pushing the envelope. Who doesn't want a glassed in cool looking phone?

What it probably came down to was they found it worked most of the time and decided to live with the issues and just make up some bumpers for the phone. Some people certainly don't have issues so it's not truly then end of the world. Some will just have to live with bumpers or silicone covers.

06-28-10 07:19 AM
    And another thread bites the dust thanks the iPhone haters. Once again if you hate the iPhone then why are posting in the iPhone section. Like any of us want to hear the opinion of people that don't use and hate the device. Oh and this works both ways if you hate Blackberry then stay of the Blackberry section.

This was originally posted in the Blackberry News and Rumours section and continues to appear there. If someone is reading top to bottom they would run into the thread, as I just did, so they're not actively seeking out the iPhone section.

Also, this is an open community. Any person may post in any section assuming that they are adhering to the code of conduct, which does not include any language as to where each member may post nor does it state that forums are only for users of a particular device.

Like you, I would have it otherwise. It would keep the bashers and ranters out of forums where I go to keep up on things.
    06-28-10 12:46 PM
    I just talked to my mother on the phone so I decided to get her take on the whole antenna issue. I laid it out there and described what people were seeing and the general design of the iPhone and the antenna placement itself. I also quickly touched on the whole software vs. hardware debate. Her response pretty much sums it up, she said:

"Why are you talking to me about this? I don't know anything about cell phones."

See? Proof the problem not only exists but that it is affecting all of us, iPhone users or not.
    06-28-10 02:29 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD