View Poll Results: How will the affect your decision to switch/upgrade to an iPhone 4?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Full stop for me

24 34.29%
  • Perhaps - Has changed my previous direction

10 14.29%
  • Not really - There are other factors and bumpers too

10 14.29%
  • No - Not enough of an issue or I'd buy no matter what

22 31.43%
  • Wasn't going to buy BEFORE the article!

4 5.71%
07-22-10 01:32 AM
127 123 ...
tools
    Consumer Reports won't recommend iPhone 4 - Yahoo! News

Will this affect your decisions regarding either switching or upgrading to an iPhone 4?

Should it affect how Apple handles the issue?

- R.
    Last edited by Rooster99; 07-12-10 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Poor grammar in poll question
    07-12-10 04:00 PM
    Not at all.
    From what I read, they think it is the top of the line smart phone out there with the only drawback being the reception issue. I don't see this as a problem for a lot of people I know who already have one.

07-12-10 04:02 PM
    No, it won't.
    07-12-10 04:05 PM
    The people i know who have them (7 so far) don't care about the reception issues, even with the dropped calls. One of them even said "don't hold it that way". Almost smacked him in the face out of principal.

Consumer Reports mean little, very few people read it. Now if this were plastered on the news it would be a different story and could affect sales
    07-12-10 04:08 PM
    It wouldn't effect sale by much in my
    opinion. Look at the idiots that want
    to file a lawsuit and their buyer's
    remorse has yet to expire. All they
    have to do is return their device, but
    yet, they rather keep it knowing the
    issues and file a lawsuit in which they
    won't see much (if at all) enough
    money for the suit to be worth it.
    07-12-10 04:18 PM
    I personally don't pay attention to consumer reports. I base everything on my own experiences. For some people the iPhone 4 isn't a good purchase and for others it is.
    07-12-10 04:50 PM
    It wouldn't effect sale by much in my
    opinion. Look at the idiots that want
    to file a lawsuit and their buyer's
    remorse has yet to expire. All they
    have to do is return their device, but
    yet, they rather keep it knowing the
    issues and file a lawsuit in which they
    won't see much (if at all) enough
    money for the suit to be worth it.
    Exactly. Even the schmucks that are filing a lawsuit don't want to get rid of the device. If it's that bad, take it back. Plain and simple.
    07-12-10 04:52 PM
    I personally don't pay attention to consumer reports. I base everything on my own experiences. For some people the iPhone 4 isn't a good purchase and for others it is.
    Agreed. So many had issues with NYC and
    in my own experience, I did not even as so
    much lose one bar of service. Now, I do
    know the problem was real and some did
    have problems, but I didn't and if I listened
    to what consumer reports said, I may not
    have found out I wasn't effected.
    07-12-10 06:23 PM
    I love the idiots who picked "full stop;" I guess they believe everything they read or hear at face value without even trying the phone themselves

Some people really are sheep. If you think Consumer Reports just like the news isnt biased towards their own interests/advertisers/etc then you have a lot of learning to do about the world.
    07-12-10 06:30 PM
    The people i know who have them (7 so far) don't care about the reception issues, even with the dropped calls. One of them even said "don't hold it that way". Almost smacked him in the face out of principal.

Consumer Reports mean little, very few people read it. Now if this were plastered on the news it would be a different story and could affect sales
    Well all the financial websites and WSJ had articles and links to consumer reports video. I'm sure the media will pick up on it. What concerns me is Apple continuing to keep their heads in the sand. If it wasn't a problem they would have come out with a statement regarding the CR report. Forget the software fix..... that only addresses the signal display.
    07-12-10 06:50 PM

"It is plastered all over the news," I just saw it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-10 06:52 PM
    The poll forgot one choice:
    5) Was never considering an i-Phone in the first place.
    07-12-10 07:21 PM
    The poll forgot one choice:
    5) Was never considering an i-Phone in the first place.
    Then why are u in this subforum to begin with
    07-12-10 07:23 PM
    Linked to from another forum and thought I was still there when I opened the link to this forum. Sorry to wrinkle thy panties...
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 07-12-10 at 08:23 PM.
    07-12-10 07:37 PM
    Again, it begs the question if u dont even want the phone then why even care?
    07-12-10 07:48 PM
    Exactly. Even the schmucks that are filing a lawsuit don't want to get rid of the device. If it's that bad, take it back. Plain and simple.
    +1 Troof. I love it.
    07-12-10 07:59 PM
    The iboys like CR only when it confirms their beliefs.

And CR really tried, they're cutting Apple a lot of slack by ignoring its exclusivity with AT&T and rating its call quality separately from the only service it can be used on. I think this will be a black mark for CR. They should do away with blogging and only do tests.

07-12-10 08:14 PM
    Again, it begs the question if u dont even want the phone then why even care?
    You guys are as bad as Storm owners for being defensive about a stupid phone.
    07-12-10 08:26 PM
    Not in the market so I won't vote.
    Having said that I'm a little disappointed with Apples response with holding the phone differently and/or a calculation error when figuring signal strength. If I was interested in the iPhone I would wait a bit since I'm sure a small design change will be coming within a month.
    Last edited by RetroAndreas; 07-13-10 at 12:00 AM. Reason: grammer
    07-12-10 10:06 PM
    I could not agree more... Some people here defend there phones like if there lives depended on it. I noticed some people here are very quick to post up positive links about the iphone's success and then the same people are the first to discredit a link that points out a negative. It's actually pretty pathetic.

You guys are as bad as Storm owners for being defensive about a stupid phone.
    07-12-10 10:42 PM
    LOL. Nice

One of them even said "don't hold it that way". Almost smacked him in the face out of principal.

07-12-10 10:45 PM
    When I got my first iPhone a couple years ago, I used to inadvertently cover the microphone from time to time and the person on the other side wouldn't be able to hear me. Initially I didn't know one of the holes on the bottom was the mike. I got used to holding the phone a different way. Even though I hold my phone in my left hand, I don't think it'll be a big issue for to avoid not touching thay one part, similar to covering up the mike.
    07-12-10 11:17 PM
    Look, here's the bottom line about this issue (if you even have it).

1. Return the damn phone since youre under 30 days and get a 100% refund and move on with your life.

2. Sit here and whine and complain and keep it and keep getting the issue (if you even have it)

3. Get a freakin case and get over it. It protects your investment and solves the issue. Good cases can found for as little as $10-20 if you look around (Incipio, Speck, etc).

4. If you absolutely have to carry the phone naked, cut a TINY maybe 1 inch strip of clear screen protector and put it over the black bar. No one will ever see it and solves the issue. Problem solved for about 10 cents of screen protector and you have plenty of extra on 1 piece to change it if it gets dirty or falls off every few weeks.

People LOVE to whine and cry and complain, yet do nothing about it for themselves.

Its not the end of the world to take the #3 or #4 route. And to address the upcoming "we shouldnt have to fix Apple's problem," I say how long have you been fixing problems on other devices for years? NONE are perfect EVER. How many trackballs on BBs get stuck and you have to change them out? How many battery doors come loose and you have to fix it or get a new one? Or a speaker/earpiece blows out? Or a battery looses capacity and dies out?

You dont see people bashing all over RIM how they suck etc etc if their trackball gets stuck, they man up go buy a new one and replace it. Proactive measures.

The list goes on and on. The ONLY reason this is such a big deal now is because its easy to bash on Apple when theyre successful and its one of the most popular devices out there making it an easy target. But again, its the typical internet crowd who would rather whine and complain then do something proactive about it.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-13-10 at 01:01 AM.
    07-13-10 12:50 AM
    A phone with a reception issue is a pretty big problem don't you think? I mean if it has trouble with doing its primary function thats a problem.

Also for those that say don't believe everything you read the iphone reception issues have been reported and confirmed by multiple sources, not just CS.

Now I will say I'm on Verizon, so I don't really have a dog in the fight. If the iphone was available for Verizon though I would be interested though.

So I guess that based on the reception problems, not just from what CS says but lots of other people say as well, no I couldn't buy an iphone at this time.
    07-13-10 12:51 AM
    For every person who can reproduce the issue there is one who cant. So I dont call it confirmed 100% of anything unless it was every single device able to reproduce it every time. There has to be a reason some can reproduce it and some cant, theyre the same phones.

But again, there are proactive measure to take to solve the problem that are pretty painless and easy. But its easier to whine on the internet then go find a solution that works for you be it a case or some strip screen protector or something over the spot (or just honestly changing how you hold the thing and adapting).
    07-13-10 01:03 AM
127 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD