View Poll Results: How will the affect your decision to switch/upgrade to an iPhone 4?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Full stop for me

24 34.29%
  • Perhaps - Has changed my previous direction

10 14.29%
  • Not really - There are other factors and bumpers too

10 14.29%
  • No - Not enough of an issue or I'd buy no matter what

22 31.43%
  • Wasn't going to buy BEFORE the article!

4 5.71%
    Lol, true, except this is a blackberry forum and therefore not many of us own or will ever own one.
    As soon as a new android or iphone are announced we're barraged with posts about how great this devices will be and we should all give up our blackberries for it.
    Excuse us if we take some pleasure from hearing they're not so great after all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

You're excused , pleasure away.
    I agree. Continue pleasuring yourself.
    07-21-10 11:41 AM
    Oh yeah, just did and about to do it again.......by watching more death grip dropped calls on youtube.

I have two words for you: call failed

If you want to live with that, happy for you but as an expensive product is not acceptable.

Youtube is full of examples, you can deny it all you want.

Just wait until somebody has to call emergency services and start dropping calls. Then apple will be in trouble.

07-21-10 12:52 PM
    Is it true that Apple deleted straight away any mention or link about the consumer report from their support forum?
    Sounds to me like Apple will get away with lying to people and covering up what they knew it would be a big problem.
    Think how quickly normal people get a fine when they make a small "mistake" and drive slightly faster or park in the wrong place etc but when a big company makes a "mistake" nothing happens to them.

Problem is the Apple forums are for tech support of the phone, not a place to whine and cry and make complaints. Its the wrong spot for it.

And Apple has every right what goes on their own website,there's no freedom of speech in a privately owned forum.
    07-21-10 01:13 PM
    My favorite so far:

07-21-10 01:13 PM
    Problem is the Apple forums are for tech support of the phone, not a place to whine and cry and make complaints. Its the wrong spot for it.

And Apple has every right what goes on their own website,there's no freedom of speech in a privately owned forum.
    Lol, I'm starting to enjoy this, so if you buy an apple product that you discover a problem with when you get home and you contact them via their forum, they can just delete any mention of it and you think that's ok?

Or get told to "don't hold it that way" even if himself was holding it that way in presentations?

Is it better to put up with it by wearing a bumper or make apple recall the product, fix it and become the iphone that should've been in the first place? Are you really that concerned with saving Jobs money?

07-21-10 01:34 PM
    Lol, I'm starting to enjoy this, so if you buy an apple product that you discover a problem with when you get home and you contact them via their forum, they can just delete any mention of it and you think that's ok?

Or get told to "don't hold it that way" even if himself was holding it that way in presentations?

Is it better to put up with it by wearing a bumper or make apple recall the product, fix it and become the iphone that should've been in the first place? Are you really that concerned with saving Jobs money?

Again the point is its THEIR website and if you dont like it dont use it. Just like if you purchase a domain name you can control the content. Dont like it? Dont use it or read it. Thats just the way it is.

Do you even own the phone, or just another whiner around here who doesnt have anything to gripe about since they dont even own the thing to begin with?
    07-21-10 03:18 PM
    Belfastdispatcher 911, between me and you, I'm not dropping any calls... but don't let YouTube know as it will discredit their most prestigious credibility.
    07-21-10 03:22 PM

I don't know why stuaw11 is so concerned. One *guess* would be that he owns Apple stocks. Owning stocks and using the company's product is the right way to invest, but can also be a schizophrenic experience as the conflict between share holder and customer is embodied in the person.

Last edited by synthmole; 07-21-10 at 03:35 PM.
    07-21-10 03:33 PM
    Again the point is its THEIR website and if you dont like it dont use it. Just like if you purchase a domain name you can control the content. Dont like it? Dont use it or read it. Thats just the way it is.

Do you even own the phone, or just another whiner around here who doesnt have anything to gripe about since they dont even own the thing to begin with?
    Dude, seriously, by definition a "support forum" is a place where you go to find solutions to your problems with that particular device and many people have one particular problem. Get it? I bet you they don't delete the posts praising them.

No, I don't own an iphone but this is a blackberry forum. Do you own one or are you here for the sole porpoise of defending them?

I am not a member of any iphone or other devices forums.

Don't forget Apple had an advertising campaign based on bashing Microsoft not that long ago. Live by the sword, die by the sword that's what i say.
    07-21-10 04:04 PM

No, I don't own an iphone but this is a blackberry forum. Do you own one or are you here for the sole porpoise of defending them?

Don't forget Apple had an advertising campaign based on bashing Microsoft not that long ago. Live by the sword, die by the sword that's what i say.
    And this is the iPhone Section, I get that you were at one point interested in the iPhone, but since you no longer seem to be interested in it then why are still coming into the iPhone Section? As I have said about a thousand times, most of us that are on here were at one point Blackberry users and the reason that we stay here is out of loyalty to CB, not to rim. Since I no longer use a blackberry I no longer go into the BB section since there is nothing that RIM is doing that I care about.
    07-21-10 04:10 PM
    Dude, seriously, by definition a "support forum" is a place where you go to find solutions to your problems with that particular device and many people have one particular problem. Get it? I bet you they don't delete the posts praising them.

I'm guessing you've never used the Apple forum. In case you're interested, it's at discussions.apple.com. This is also not the first time they've deleted threads. Any complaints or negative commentary about Apple or their products are deleted, and this is not new, it's been going on for years. Go on there and post a bad review about an iPad, it'll get deleted too. People are only discussing this practice now because it's "sexy" at the moment to talk about Apple doing bad.

Complaints are supposed to be directed to Apple - Support - iPhone anyway.

What's the big deal anyway? There are thousands of forums to complain about the iPhone, including this one. And you really can't expect Apple to tolerate negative comments about them and their products on their website. That would be like letting some dude come into my house and insult me, just not gonna happen.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 07-21-10 at 04:29 PM. Reason: address was wrong.
    07-21-10 04:22 PM
    Many users just hit the New Posts link every time and see new posts aggregated from all sections regardless of what device they own. That's how I see iPhone discussions, I don't verify that the section the post is in is compatible with my current device.

07-21-10 04:24 PM
    Many users just hit the New Posts link every time and see new posts aggregated from all sections regardless of what device they own. That's how I see iPhone discussions, I don't verify that the section the post is in is compatible with my current device.

That's a valid point. My only issue is with people who do not own or want to own an iPhone coming into this section just to ***** and complain about a device they have never used. Honestly I don't really care what device people use as long as that device makes them happy and suits their needs.
    07-21-10 04:29 PM
    Not intending to jump into the foregoing fray, I have both a 9700 and an iphone 4 and the antenna issue is totally overblown. I know this because I live in a very spotty, marginal cellular area and use both phones all day long and the signal drop doesn't affect me at all. You can see it on the bar display, but it doesn't seem to affect call quality or data; I do suspect that it was a combination of hardware and software at issue. The latter has been fixed and the former, embarrassingly for Apple, is fixed with a little tape, rubber, or silicon. Those who think of their coveted iphones as pieces of wearable art (I am not one) are universally disappointed; so what? They can take their phones back and buy the next phone that a crow would be glad to grab. I am just glad to get a free bumper case, which will immediately go on eBay (since I already had one). Thanks, Apple.

Having avoided that fray, I may step into another though. I have long noticed that my 9700 does the same thing very mysteriously. (I've had two 9700's--three if you count my wife's--and the second is only a month old). I am sitting on the couch and the signal goes from 5 bars to 1 or none with no trains, airplanes, or visible UFO's between me and the tower, and no change in position. Either the plate in my head rotates to block signal (kidding), or I am holding it funny (belated thanks, Steve Jobs, you TURD, for putting that in my mind like a 70's rock chorus--don't try to think of one or you will share my miserable fate), or AT&T is screwing with me (most likely). Nonetheless, the 9700 seems to have ever so slightly better reception even when I hold both phones like dollhouse teacups.

Truth be known, I miss little stubby antennas (but not the ones that extend) and would like to invent one for both phones. Make a mint. That would surely help everyone focus on more important matters, like why I know what it is like to hold a dollhouse teacup (I have small kids, smarty ).
    07-21-10 04:31 PM
    I don't know why stuaw11 is so concerned. One *guess* would be that he owns Apple stocks. Owning stocks and using the company's product is the right way to invest, but can also be a schizophrenic experience as the conflict between share holder and customer is embodied in the person.
    Dont own 1 share of apple, but why are YOU so concerned? Own stock in RIM or one of Apple's competitors? The only one so embodied in trying to rip apart any company here is you against Apple. Everyone else is just trying to tell you to be somewhat reasonable here.

Do I own one, yes. Do you? No. This is the IPHONE SUBFORUM. Get with the program, crackberry or not its not all BB. If youre so concerned why are you in the iphone subforum then? There are more than enough BB-only sections of this site to stay in.

Again, its their site to decide. If someone came on youre personal website and posted a bunch of comments what a POS you were, would you just leave them there for all to see? Doubtful.

The support forums are for support not to whine and complain. Theres a huge difference witht he threads that got deleted which just said F apple this F apple that with no hope of any tech support going on there.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-21-10 at 04:42 PM.
    07-21-10 04:33 PM
    Not intending to jump into the foregoing fray, I have both a 9700 and an iphone 4 and the antenna issue is totally overblown. I know this because I live in a very spotty, marginal cellular area and use both phones all day long and the signal drop doesn't affect me at all. You can see it on the bar display, but it doesn't seem to affect call quality or data; I do suspect that it was a combination of hardware and software at issue. The latter has been fixed and the former, embarrassingly for Apple, is fixed with a little tape, rubber, or silicon. Those who think of their coveted iphones as pieces of wearable art (I am not one) are universally disappointed; so what? They can take their phones back and buy the next phone that a crow would be glad to grab. I am just glad to get a free bumper case, which will immediately go on eBay (since I already had one). Thanks, Apple.

Having avoided that fray, I may step into another though. I have long noticed that my 9700 does the same thing very mysteriously. (I've had two 9700's--three if you count my wife's--and the second is only a month old). I am sitting on the couch and the signal goes from 5 bars to 1 or none with no trains, airplanes, or visible UFO's between me and the tower, and no change in position. Either the plate in my head rotates to block signal (kidding), or I am holding it funny (belated thanks, Steve Jobs, you TURD, for putting that in my mind like a 70's rock chorus--don't try to think of one or you will share my miserable fate), or AT&T is screwing with me (most likely). Nonetheless, the 9700 seems to have ever so slightly better reception even when I hold both phones like dollhouse teacups.
    Truth be known, I miss little stubby antennas (but not the ones that extend) and would like to invent one for both phones. Make a mint. That would surely help everyone focus on more important matters, like why I know what it is like to hold a dollhouse teacup (I have small kids, smarty ).
    It's to do with the cell tower and how far you are from it. When few people use that tower the coverage extends, when more people use it the coverage from that tower shrinks.
    Part of it could also be that blackberrys always show an accurate signal The best way is to hold alt and type nmll and the exact signal will be shown. Iphones used to have a similar option as well but not with iphone 4, coincidence? You tell me.
    07-21-10 05:01 PM
    The best way is to hold alt and type nmll and the exact signal will be shown.
    Hey that is an awesome tip, I always heard there was a way for the signal to display dBm instead of bars and there it is!. Thanks.
    07-21-10 05:39 PM
    Hey that is an awesome tip, I always heard there was a way for the signal to display dBm instead of bars and there it is!. Thanks.
    Lol, I thought this was common knowledge. You can type it again to show bars. -70 seems to be the highes signal for 3G. You will see signal fluctuates a lot even when you don't touch it, sometimes the signal will slightly drop if given the iphone death grip but other times it will increase it.

To the iphone people here, does anybody actually believe that apple were "shocked" to find their formula was showing the wrong signal ie showing more instead of less? I mean do you honestly believe that? I instantly lost all respect for apple over this episode.

07-21-10 06:01 PM
    To the iphone people here, does anybody actually believe that apple were "shocked" to find their formula was showing the wrong signal ie showing more instead of less? I mean do you honestly believe that? I instantly lost all respect for apple over this episode.

The technical term for that is 'Throwing AT&T under the bus'.

To me it seems like Apple and AT&T had a deal previously where Apple made AT&T service look better than it was.

Or Apple did this on their own, and AT&T said nothing, as it made them look good.
    07-21-10 07:18 PM
    But again, why does it matter if you had 5 bars vs 4 now unless bars give you some kind of warm and fuzzy feeling? The dB signal strength is still the same either way, its not like youre losing or gaining any true signal strength.
    07-21-10 08:24 PM

I don't was RIM shocked to find out that the Storm 1 was a POS? For the record I think that it is possible that this was an honest mistake on the part of Apple. They are new to the phone game, plus bars have never really been a good mesure of signal strength anyway. I would not be surprised to find out that other companies also have an inaccurate formula as well.
    07-21-10 08:40 PM
    Very true. There is no "right way" because every manufacturer sets their own limits for each bar. Blame the regulating groups for not standardizing these across all phones.
    07-21-10 08:44 PM
    Dont own 1 share of apple, but why are YOU so concerned? Own stock in RIM or one of Apple's competitors? The only one so embodied in trying to rip apart any company here is you against Apple. Everyone else is just trying to tell you to be somewhat reasonable here.
    I'm very reasonable about this.

Apple designed something that looks like jewelery while its competitors stuck to more practical designs. Now it's telling customers to use a case (which it planned to charge for.)

Where in this am I being unreasonable? Do you agree with this or do you think it was an honest mistake?

If you don't own shares, well something else must explain your vehement defense of everything Apple does. I'd be very interested to know what's so great about Apple and what it just released and did with its customers.
    07-21-10 10:26 PM
    I'm very reasonable about this.

Apple designed something that looks like jewelery while its competitors stuck to more practical designs. Now it's telling customers to use a case (which it planned to charge for.)

Where in this am I being unreasonable? Do you agree with this or do you think it was an honest mistake?

If you don't own shares, well something else must explain your vehement defense of everything Apple does. I'd be very interested to know what's so great about Apple and what it just released and did with its customers.
    I can't agree with that at all. First and foremost, many people use cases on their BB's and Android devices, is the EVO more durable then the iPhone? I think that it is clear that you are an Apple hater just as much as stuaw11 and I are Apple fans. The difference is that we don't spend time in the BB threads talking about how much RIM sucks and all the mistakes that they are making. The reason for this is simple, we are not rim haters I know that I myself am a very big fan of RIM and used a BB for many years, now I use the iPhone and I like it better then anything that RIM has made thus far. Seems like the best thing would be for you to stay away from the iPhone section since it is clear that you have nothing useful to say and just want to bash the iPhone and anyone that uses it. And to your point about Apple planing on charging for the case, what about RIM and the sleeper magnet? Or what about the fact that most people are not going to buy the bumper but rather a third party case for that Apple is not going to make money off. None of your points make any sense and you come off sounding like a hater.
    Last edited by crackvegas78; 07-21-10 at 10:36 PM.
    07-21-10 10:33 PM
    I can't agree with that at all. First and foremost, many people use cases on their BB's and Android devices, is the EVO more durable then the iPhone? I think that it is clear that you are an Apple hater just as much as stuaw11 and I are Apple fans. The difference is that we don't spend time in the BB threads talking about how much RIM sucks and all the mistakes that they are making. The reason for this is simple, we are not rim haters I know that I myself and a very big fan of RIM and used a BB for many years, now I use the iPhone and I like it better then anything that RIM has made thus far. Seems like the best thing would be for you to stay away from the iPhone section since it is clear that you have nothing useful to say and just want to bash the iPhone and anyone that uses it.
    I'm not an Apple hater. I question the way it does things. That makes you very uncomfortable for some reason.

I am not a fan of any company. I find something interesting to talk about and that's it, whatever the subject is. I've debated stuaw11 in RIM threads plenty of times. Now I'm debating him in Apple threads. It doesn't matter to me where and what the discussion is about.
    07-21-10 10:36 PM
127 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD