View Poll Results: How will the affect your decision to switch/upgrade to an iPhone 4?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Full stop for me

24 34.29%
  • Perhaps - Has changed my previous direction

10 14.29%
  • Not really - There are other factors and bumpers too

10 14.29%
  • No - Not enough of an issue or I'd buy no matter what

22 31.43%
  • Wasn't going to buy BEFORE the article!

4 5.71%
    I talked to a colleague who owns one today. He has a case, and swore he didn't have any problems. With the case (resembling Apple's bumper), holding the phone dropped to 2 bars. Without the case, no bars, and inability to make a phone call. So then he says well, you have to try hard. But there wasn't anything hard about it.

The problem with veteran iPhone owners, they've already convinced themselves that this is normal.
    07-14-10 01:35 AM
    Consumer Reports has not affected how I view my iPhone 4's non-issue issue non-issue lol.
    07-14-10 08:05 AM
    Here is about the funniest thing yet, the iPhone 4 can cause cancer and it would still outsell the EVO, hemmaROID X, thunder, xxx... and every other copycat phone combined!

Apple should be getting royalties from these cats!
    07-14-10 08:08 AM
    Lets not even get into BBs' many hardware/design flaws of recent past (Storm 1, sticking/dead trackballs, creaky battery doors needing paper/cardboard in them to sit properly, loose nameplate piece below the keyboard, wobbly unlevel trackpads, etc etc etc)
    Sure everything has minor kinks, but when it's a functional kink then it's a problem. You're comparing BB's minor kninks to iPhone's functional defect, at my house the signal is bad and on my BB I get 1-2 bars but with the iPhone I most likely will get 0, and the reports on dropped calls are pretty high.

This is on every iPhone 4G, not just a batch, like those kinks on BB phones.
    07-14-10 08:09 AM
    When was the last time someone read consumer reports before they bought their Blackberry, Android, or iPhone? Yea never get out of here haters
    I read reviews, LOTS of people read reviews.
    07-14-10 08:12 AM
    Sure everything has minor kinks, but when it's a functional kink then it's a problem. You're comparing BB's minor kninks to iPhone's functional defect, at my house the signal is bad and on my BB I get 1-2 bars but with the iPhone I most likely will get 0, and the reports on dropped calls are pretty high.

Meaning you don't actually own one but are just guessing? , boy the guy who tweeted - iPhone 4 antenna issues more prevalent with people who DO NOT own iPhone 4 - wasn't joking LOL.
    07-14-10 08:51 AM
    I read reviews, LOTS of people read reviews.
    Not normal consumers. Most of them buy phones because of a salesman recommendation. Please don't mistake the people that come on sites like this and BGR and Engadget as a very high percentage of consumers. Sure, technically "lots" of people read reviews but that number pails in comparison to those that don't. Let's be honest, a lot of us on here do read reviews but not many read consumer reviews especially for tech stuff. We read reviews from tech sites. No one cares what consumer reports say. Yesterday I asked my wife if she read what consumer reports said about the iPhone. She said "who". I explained to her what they do. She said "never heard of them and don't care because my iPhone is the bomb". I bet the number of people that feel like this are 10-20x more than those that do care.
    07-14-10 08:57 AM

It isn't on every iPhone. There's nothing wrong with going with the "reports" and stuff. I get that. But what about those that say they do not have any issues? Those are just "sheep", huh? Some people really don't have issues or they are so minimal it doesn't matter to them because it's the best phone on AT&T and everyone doesn't jump carriers for a phone. I guess it's ok to ignore those and pay attention to everyone else. Remember, negative information travels 7 times faster so people that are having issues are more likely to voice them. The loudest group doesn't mean it's the largest group. I always tell people, forget what other people think. Try for yourself and YOU decide if it works. No one can tell me what works for me. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
    07-14-10 09:02 AM
    The loudest group doesn't mean it's the largest group.
    Off Topic Alert: As proven by the 2008 Presidential Election , carry on.
    07-14-10 09:08 AM
    Good point. Just need to have 5 poll options. And to previous poster, I recognize this isn't scientific - look at the sampled audience and size. It's still one step above anecdotal evidence.

- R.
    I added the option and voted.
    07-14-10 11:32 AM
    The iPhone 4 is a great device, although flawed. AT&T Wireless is a ****ty carrier right now though. I'd pick T-Mobile or Sprint over them.
    07-14-10 12:01 PM
    The iPhone 4 is a great device, although flawed. AT&T Wireless is a ****ty carrier right now though. I'd pick T-Mobile or Sprint over them.
    What does this discussion have to do with picking Sprint or TMO over AT&T?

Anyhow, maybe the 2 failing carriers can hurry up and merge to salvage something
    07-14-10 12:33 PM
    I use Consumer Reports as a guide. I've been incredibly happy with products Consumer Reports hated and I've hated products that CR loved.

I'll most likely be making the switch when my contract is up September. I'll do research on the Droid but I am leaning toward the iPhone. I like Apple products and I have nothing but good things to say about them. Hopefully the majority of the bugs will be worked out by the end of September/Early October.
    07-14-10 02:03 PM

next...
    07-14-10 08:19 PM
    It isn't on every iPhone. There's nothing wrong with going with the "reports" and stuff. I get that. But what about those that say they do not have any issues? Those are just "sheep", huh? Some people really don't have issues or they are so minimal it doesn't matter to them because it's the best phone on AT&T and everyone doesn't jump carriers for a phone. I guess it's ok to ignore those and pay attention to everyone else. Remember, negative information travels 7 times faster so people that are having issues are more likely to voice them. The loudest group doesn't mean it's the largest group. I always tell people, forget what other people think. Try for yourself and YOU decide if it works. No one can tell me what works for me. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
    IPhone 4G: Antenna controversy grows | Daily News Engine

Why they can't recommend the phone until it's fixed.
    07-14-10 11:27 PM
    What does this discussion have to do with picking Sprint or TMO over AT&T?

Anyhow, maybe the 2 failing carriers can hurry up and merge to salvage something
    I think the point was that you get better plan options with other carriers over AT&T, didn't AT&T ditch unlimited plans?
    07-14-10 11:29 PM
    I think the point was that you get better plan options with other carriers over AT&T, didn't AT&T ditch unlimited plans?
    "Better" is all relative.

ATT compiled data use of all of their customers and only 2% of people used more than 2gb. Most users will be just fine with a 2gb plan.

5gb is just a warm and fuzzy feeling for a bunch of data 98% of people never use anyways, and since they dropped the data plan price to $25 its actually cheaper than VZW for 98% of users. Tmo and Sprint only do it because they combined dont have as many customers as ATT or VZW taken alone. If they had a similar number of customers and didnt need to entice people, the pricing would be much closer.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-15-10 at 12:04 AM.
    07-14-10 11:56 PM
    Only for new customers, existing customers can still carry the unlimited plan of which personally I've never even come close to the 2GB ceiling. Another point to make is that WiFi is growing exponentially, Starbucks, McDonald's, Ale House, even my local Bob Evans all have FREE Wifi. In the next few years you will see companies use Wifi to entice customers, it's already happening. With Wifi growing at a fast pace the demand and stress on wireless carriers I believe will diminish over time, not grow. When I say over time I'm talking five years or so.

It also looks like FaceTime is taking off, it works very very well.
    07-15-10 10:34 AM
    You guys are joking right. Most regular consumers aren't reading any darn reviews. Stop kidding yourselves.
    07-15-10 11:16 AM
    You guys are joking right. Most regular consumers aren't reading any darn reviews. Stop kidding yourselves.
    Of course, everyone knows this but haters just want to deny it and make it a bigger deal than it really is
    07-15-10 11:37 AM
    I already own a iPhone 4 and im not returning it so that kind of speaks for itself
    07-15-10 11:58 AM
    You're right. But inflencers often do - you know, the tech or product-savvy people others turn to because they know more?

Are you honestly saying the Consumer Reports results aren't going to impact iPhone purchasing decisions at all? That just doesn't make sense - if that were the case then Consumer Reports would have died a long time ago because it wasn't adding any value so one would pay for a subscription.

And check out Apple's plans for a Friday press conference on the iPhone. Do you think Apple would be doing this if that Consumer Reports report hadn't gotten so much airplay?

Speaking of kidding yourself ... Sometimes the denial on this web site amazes me - and that goes for both types of fruit.

- R.
    07-15-10 02:22 PM
    Not at all.

I was an avid berry user (curve then bold) and promoter to all my friends and family for 3 years and my needs changed because RIM seemed behind the times with all the new smartphones...so I gave the iPhone a chance. It took some getting used to but I like it...I'm still getting used to it I s'pose because I am here looking for some answers and I don't know of a place quite like Crackberry for iPhones yet.

I (nor anyone I know) have not been able to duplicate the reception problem in a variety a reception areas (trust me my husband and I have tried to duplicate this in multiple places, I need to know whether to return or not afterall)...I have seen a few youtube videos but nothing that convinces me and makes me say "wow that's a huge problem". I have had little glitches and design flaws in my berries as well. While I am not doubting there is a problem, I think it has been hyped up significantly. I feel like Consumer Reports is a "little" extreme in their recommendation but that is their choice, I don't get that subscription anymore so I can't say much about them other than my opinion as of 8 years ago or so that made me cancel my subscription in the first place.

I don't have buyer's remorse...I still have my berry and time to return this iPhone. I am using all of my 30 days to really see how this works for me. The one thing I really appreciate is having device memory!!! My bold had to do a battery pull everyday to keep up with the few apps I had on there...unless I wanted to do something that would have voided my warranty. There are some things that I don't like about it but the reception is not a problem at all...same ol same ol, when you really look at it all wireless companies are the same, and you will find people getting defensive over their choice of carriers too so it's hard to find an honest unbiased review anywhere.

I do find it a little amusing though, now being on the wrong side of the tracks in Crackberryville, that many people ranting don't have first hand experience with an iPhone, or limited while using friend's for a bit (which I hated my friend's iPhones when I was a Berry user too, hard for me to navigate and I still wanted to throw my new iPhone across the room the first 2 days I had it because it is SO different from a Berry)...No one will be persuaded by a "hater's" POV...afterall when I was the "Berry Yoda" to all of my friends, none of them listened to me when I would rant about how much I hated iTunes and would never buy an iPhone because I would have to use that...to each their own (and yes, I still hate iTunes but I have had to eat my words before).

Seems no one wants to give an honest opinion because everyone is trying to justify their choice of device...I am still looking for it though...too much bias and ego inflation for people to be sincere.
    07-16-10 11:18 AM
    You're right. But inflencers often do - you know, the tech or product-savvy people others turn to because they know more?

Are you honestly saying the Consumer Reports results aren't going to impact iPhone purchasing decisions at all? That just doesn't make sense - if that were the case then Consumer Reports would have died a long time ago because it wasn't adding any value so one would pay for a subscription.

And check out Apple's plans for a Friday press conference on the iPhone. Do you think Apple would be doing this if that Consumer Reports report hadn't gotten so much airplay?

Speaking of kidding yourself ... Sometimes the denial on this web site amazes me - and that goes for both types of fruit.

- R.
    I could be mistaken but I had to go back a check that I wasn't. In the little statement I did make that you qouted I don't remember once saying that iPhone sales would not be "AT ALL" effected by the consumer reports write up. I could be wrong now but I'm 100% positive I'm not. I do believe their little spill won't have a substantial effect on iPhone 4 sales though. It will continue to sale just fine with or without consumer reports backing.
    07-16-10 01:37 PM
    full stop!
    07-17-10 04:48 AM
127 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD