Finally a more "scientific" testing process and report on this. Too bad not a single BlackBerry device was included.

iPhone 6 And 6 Plus Bend Test - Consumer Reports News

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 10:10 PM
    I think this story is misleading. The problem with the iPhone bending isn't that it is structurally worse than other phones it's that it stays bent instead of going back to its original shape which other phones do just fine.

Despite this the article talks about how iPhone is just as strong as other phones while ignoring the actual problem. They shouldn't have tested till the screen came out they should have bent it as much as they could before the screen came out and measured how much the phone rebounded, that would have shown the actual design flaw of the iPhone 6. It's just to metal for its own good
    09-26-14 11:36 PM
    I think this story is misleading. The problem with the iPhone bending isn't that it is structurally worse than other phones it's that it stays bent instead of going back to its original shape which other phones do just fine.

Despite this the article talks about how iPhone is just as strong as other phones while ignoring the actual problem. They shouldn't have tested till the screen came out they should have bent it as much as they could before the screen came out and measured how much the phone rebounded, that would have shown the actual design flaw of the iPhone 6. It's just to metal for its own good
    That is what the "Deformation" column is for, which still shows iPhone 6 being seriously lower than iPhone 5. If they never had the HTC in the test, the tone would have been less favourable for Apple for being the lowest, by a lot.

My take away is that Apple is completely blind sided by this by only testing up to 55 lbs in their QA testing, when clearly the unofficial "standard" is 130 lbs. So basically they got lucky before with the iPhone 5 being 130lbs, not that they had high standards and were striving for this. I think Joni Ive had an "oh fooey" moment, where fooey isn't what he really said.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    09-27-14 02:33 AM
    That is what the "Deformation" column is for, which still shows iPhone 6 being seriously lower than iPhone 5. If they never had the HTC in the test, the tone would have been less favourable for Apple for being the lowest, by a lot.

My take away is that Apple is completely blind sided by this by only testing up to 55 lbs in their QA testing, when clearly the unofficial "standard" is 130 lbs. So basically they got lucky before with the iPhone 5 being 130lbs, not that they had high standards and were striving for this. I think Joni Ive had an "oh fooey" moment, where fooey isn't what he really said.
    Yeah, they did two sets of tests with each device. First they added and released weight in ten pound increments, until the device no longer "bent back". Then they said... "well, they're bent but they still work,.. how much more does it take for them to actually fail (Screen separation)."

My first reaction was that their test rig was slightly flawed. The reason the M8 failed much faster than the iPhones is probably because their glass screen doesn't cover the entire front face (unlike the iPhone). So their test rig actually accentuated the weakness by anchoring the sides on the metal upper and lower sections. It's a testament to how good glass has become (or how dumb it is to use malleable metal bodies) that it is now adding significant structural integrity to these devices.

As for "bendgate",.. I think the problem here (which Apple should have considered), is that most of their users were used to handling and placing in their pocket relatively small (and thicker) iPhones 5S/5/4S. All of a sudden they get this massive 6 plus, which also happens to be extremely thin, and they probably thought they could just jam it in their pockets like all their previous iPhones without a care in the world.

So who's to blame? Technically, the consumer for not taking care of their device, but really and truly,.. Apple for (1) putting off bigger screens for so long, and (2) when they finally did,.. making it much thinner than necessary. It would have been better if they would have introduced the 6 and 6 plus with the large screens and the thickness of the protruding lens assembly, and then next year come out with a thinner 6s line.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 06:21 AM
    I have only one problem with this scientific test: how can a bigger slab of aluminium hold more weight then a smaller slab of aluminium? They have pretty much the same thickness, there is no way the 6 Plus is stronger than the 6.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 03:51 AM