Hey kids

so i have been the owner of a blackberry storm since its release in dec 2008, i have been one of the lucky ones and have had very little issues with it since i bought it. 5.0 made the world of difference and i am now running .419 and am satisfied with it....

Recently I made the switch from an HP laptop to a macbook and am questioning why i never made the switch sooner. it works the way it should do and not having to worry about adware and viruses is awesome. it got me thinking if i am this happy with a macbook instead of a pc laptop, whats stopping me from going to a iphone? and really what can a BB do that an iPhone cannot? ive got a bunch of apps from appworld and the majority really are terrible compared to whats on offer from the istore. ive played with the 3gs and it really is sweet, the only thing i think i would miss is BBM. what do you guys think? should i stick with the storm or jump ship?
    02-20-10 10:48 PM
    I would suggest that you get one if you have the 30 day return option. That was how I did it.
    Mine went back after 29 days. Wasn't for me. However, I do have the extra line and I am waiting till the 4G drops to see if they did anything about the battery life, overheating, multitasking, etc.
    02-20-10 10:52 PM
    if i were you id pick up an ipod touch and see if the features that it offers are what you need in a phone. personally i find the blackberry much more useful as a phone than the iPhone but then again i hate touch screen phones i need the keyboard. its almost a 2 hour difference in email allerts on the ipod touch compared to my blackberry when are both in wifi. bbm is very important to me because i havnt need to text anyone since i got my bb so i dont pay for a text plan. it all depends what you need from your phone. i always said no one needs a smart phone but since i got my blackberry i cant belive i was able to survive without it. but then again ive seen pleanty of people with them that dont need them. when my brother asked me what phone he sould get i recomended the iPhone for him because it does what he needs out of a phone. even as a rim investor i wouldnt reccomend a blackberry to anyone who dosnt need one. so if you dont think you need the blackberry then go iphone but if you think that you might miss the blackberry's features then stick with it.
    02-20-10 11:39 PM
    Well the two people to reply so far have both made great points. The whole try the itouch idea given you have the money to spend is a great idea to see if it's for you. As you said in your post though you have already played with one so in my opinion if you like it go for it. Of course you can see I'm an iPhone owner, I also own an iMac and I love the apple ecosystem and the way my iPhone integrates with my iMac, so I would say of you do it I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
    02-21-10 12:32 AM
    thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. now the next question that arises is do i wait for the 4G iphone (having been burnt by first of their kind models with the storm) in jump into a 3GS in the next few months!?!
    02-21-10 01:23 AM
    thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. now the next question that arises is do i wait for the 4G iphone (having been burnt by first of their kind models with the storm) in jump into a 3GS in the next few months!?!
    I just took the plunge in Dec of last year and if the 4G came out tomorrow I'd do whatever I had to do to get one, add a line wait 30 days... pay etf's and sell my old 3GS.... lol

It just depends on how soon you want to take the plunge... when vzw and RIM kept me unhappy for months... I finally just did it...
    02-21-10 01:26 AM
    my gf has an iphone. i've played with it. it's fun & smooth.

but the deal breakers for me were the lack of a removeable battery & app switching/multitasking..
    02-21-10 02:08 AM
    my gf has an iphone. i've played with it. it's fun & smooth.

but the deal breakers for me were the lack of a removeable battery & app switching/multitasking..
    That's usually the deal breaker for most who don't get it.
    02-21-10 02:22 AM
    I would wait.
    The 4G is about to be released, and its features are rumoured, but of course, nothing is set in stone. You may hate having bought a device that didn't have a certain feature and then the new one drops six months later with *the* feature you'd been wanting.
    From what I've seen, prices drop for the previous generation as soon as the new one is released.

I think you will be able to make a more informed decision based on what features the 4G does in fact have and/or get a better deal on a 3G if you choose to go that way.
    02-21-10 04:20 AM
    I'm just curious as to why you posted this in the "Blackberry Discussion" forum and not the "Iphone" forum, that is why there are different forums people..
    02-21-10 06:51 AM
    Given that you like touchscreens and your MacBook I feel that you really would enjoy the iPhone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-10 07:42 PM
    I too am holding off on the iPhone... I've wanted one since 2007 so waiting for a little while longer isn't going to hurt me. At the moment I'm using a Motorola Q and the Windows mobile makes me want to die.
    I also have a Samsung touchscreen I could be using but the lack of email on the touchscreen turns me away. I am currently unlocking my old t-mobile 8320 and am re-conditioning it (so I feel like it's new), I love me some Blackberry but everyone else on my account is using an iPhone and well I love it also...
    But like everyone else stated with the 4th generation on the way I am waiting to see whats going to happen.
    02-21-10 09:05 PM
    i tried many times to type smoothly and swiftly on the iphone. i have failed miserably. the touch screen is just not my game. i can't be going carrying an iphone for my daily schedules. but im not taking anything away from the iphone. it still is a stellar device. multimedia is a joy on it. but im not always listening to music and playing with apps. i need my phone to be flexible. that is why i never bought any iphone. apple is said to be releasing 4g iphone in near future. i will play around with it but i don't see myself buying it. but for you, i think you should hold onto your storm a little longer, and then take the plunge on the iphone 4g.
    02-21-10 09:17 PM
    If you are thinking about it, I would do it.

Blackberry has some awesome features, but if you crave iphone you want more than just a communication device. The iphone is superior in that regard.

02-21-10 10:00 PM
    Complicated decision. I have used Macs for more than 20 years & I am presently keeping my Curve. My hubby & I are trying to decide what I'm getting him for his birthday. I had a Palm Pre & it back in a day. I played with the iPhone & cannot type very fast on it. Being I have always loathed Windoze software I was amazed at how well integrated BB is. I am a photographer & digital artist & there is so much advertised for the iPhone. Even going to be able to take credit cards on iPhone which would be great for my hubby's handyman business. And you can do a Video Boo & post it directly to be published as PodCast. However I have a realty license & I must be able to text fast & reliably when there are busy years. I spend much more time texting friends than on phone & can do all apps on my MacBook Pro so for now i am sticking with my Curve. My hubby has been listening to the BB Geek PodCasts & The Cell Phone Junkie PodCasts & reading CrackBerry over my shoulder & has switched leaning from iPhone toward BB. The BB push mail is another strong feature. My suggestion is to wait a while. If the iPhone becomes easier to text on I"ll switch someday, but no phone will ever come close to the MacBook Pro. If I have WiFi I would always opt for the computer.

02-21-10 11:02 PM
    There are currently about a bazillion threads on this very subject. Do a search. Only you can decide for yourself.

Hey kids

and really what can a BB do that an iPhone cannot? ive got a bunch of apps from appworld and the majority really are terrible compared to whats on offer from the istore. ive played with the 3gs and it really is sweet, the only thing i think i would miss is BBM. what do you guys think? should i stick with the storm or jump ship?
    02-21-10 11:10 PM
    OK - just ran a search...still have this question....

I caught the iPhone fever last year at about this time...and got the iPhone 3G. It was a bad breakup...it wasn't the device for me. I went back to my Bold.

I now have my much loved 9700 and I'm catching the iPhone fever again, but this time I want it not as my main phone but rather as a mini-notebook. Basically taking advantage of the one feature that cannot be compared to anything else, the browser. I'm hoping they will have also have improved on the battery.

So.....any semi-concrete news as to what will be included?
    02-23-10 08:41 AM
    I enjoyed my ipod touch, was a great toy, multimedia, web device, but I could not see it as my primarily device. HOWEVER I know many folks who do. Shall we get the opinions of some iphone folks????

Lets move the thread over to the iphone Forum section.
    02-23-10 09:23 AM
    I type about twice as fast on my iPhone than the last BB I had. It is my main personal AND business device with push email and everything I need. It does a stellar job at both. The battery lasts me from about 7:30am to 5:30 on WiFi at work, with constant email checks and limited phone use. I also text like crazy all day long 18+ hrs a day. I do NOT want a removable battery.. it takes away from the quality product the iPhone is known for, just something else to break and lose. I have a jolt spare battery charger that increases my battery about 40% if I need it.. which quite honestly I don't use very often.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 02-23-10 at 10:56 AM.
    02-23-10 10:47 AM
    OK - just ran a search...still have this question....

I caught the iPhone fever last year at about this time...and got the iPhone 3G. It was a bad breakup...it wasn't the device for me. I went back to my Bold.

I now have my much loved 9700 and I'm catching the iPhone fever again, but this time I want it not as my main phone but rather as a mini-notebook. Basically taking advantage of the one feature that cannot be compared to anything else, the browser. I'm hoping they will have also have improved on the battery.

So.....any semi-concrete news as to what will be included?
    why not wait for the 3G iPad?
    02-23-10 11:42 AM
    why not wait for the 3G iPad?

Too big (I already have a netbook and I'm hoping for a tiny thing) and lacking in some things I would like to have. I know that there is a thread going around about how the iPhone/iPad won't get Flash because Steve Jobs doesn't like it. Well, if I'm going to have something that's as big as the iPad, I want Flash on it. I know there is discussion of HTML5 trumping Flash, but as far as current tech, it's Flash, not HTML5. By the time HTML5 comes around I would have moved on to something else. I'm very fickle with tech, except for my current love affair with berries.

The display on the iPhone is incomparable - nothing out there like it. The device is smooth as silk. But there are some changes I'd like to see - if not, it's OK, I'll just wait.

It was a very bad breakup. But if they put in any of the things I'd wanted and/or improved the battery, I'll take a half day off work and head over to Pentagon City mall the day it launches.
    02-23-10 12:24 PM
    Unless you have a powerful PC/MAC flash is pure misery to enjoy.. so I agree with Jobs and his assessment. I won't even get into all those facebook bug ridden Flash apps.... that's an entirely different subject. People seem to want to change Apple.... Apple is more about the user experience (just works albeit with less features) than about having everything under the sun.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 02-23-10 at 12:46 PM.
    02-23-10 12:42 PM
    Unless you have a powerful PC/MAC flash is pure misery to enjoy.. so I agree with Jobs and his assessment. I won't even get into all those facebook bug ridden Flash apps.... that's an entirely different subject. People seem to want to change Apple.... Apple is more about the user experience (just works albeit with less features) than about having everything under the sun.
    Nah...I can't change Apple. But how did you know that I'm addicted to Farmville?!?!

I'm not a developer so I can't argue which is better...I simply know what I want and what I expect to have the greater support out there *at this time* and for the nine to 12 months that I will keep any type of tech. Flash is currently out there...so I want Flash. Until such a time as something else is dominant or at least in production and available to consumers.

If I can't get it, I'll wait. It's not life or death...I just catch fevers sometimes and I'm currently beginning to come down with a case of iPhoneiwanitis...
    02-23-10 01:06 PM
    Well Qbnkelt maybe not having Flash is a good thing.. I can only imagine how many farmvillers out there would get absolutely no work done..lol.
    02-23-10 01:47 PM
    are you speaking of ME?!?!? I'm offended by your remark!!!!!
    02-23-10 02:17 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD