to a refurbed 3gs.

I am not available for an upgrade, and the price of an off-contract iPhone4 is crazy.

Any advice, tips, or things I should consider if I make the switch?
    10-06-10 12:52 PM
    If you're considering it, then try it out. Remember, you don't necessarily have to
    change your data plan. You can keep a BB data plan and use the iPhone just fine.
    There's a sticky at the top of this forum on how to unlock the APN on the iPhone.
    This way you can just switch sim cards between both phones whenever you'd like.

If you end up not really liking the iPhone, you can sell it. If you end up liking it so
    much that it's the only phone you want, then sell the Bold.
    10-06-10 12:57 PM
    If you're considering it, then try it out. Remember, you don't necessarily have to
    change your data plan. You can keep a BB data plan and use the iPhone just fine.
    There's a sticky at the top of this forum on how to unlock the APN on the iPhone.
    This way you can just switch sim cards between both phones whenever you'd like.

If you end up not really liking the iPhone, you can sell it. If you end up liking it so
    much that it's the only phone you want, then sell the Bold.

Well without question if I get the 3gs it's because I am selling the 9700.
    That thread is for OS 3 though.

If I was to get the iPhone, could I not just take my sim card out of the 9700, and put it in the 3gs, and still have functioning data? I am currently on the 200MB plan for BB, would I have to call ATT to have my data plan changed to use data because the phone will be OS 4?
    10-06-10 01:03 PM
    Works on OS 4 too. I do it right now. You'll have functioning data as long as you
    unlock the APN as shown in that thread. But if you're going to sell your BB, then
    might as well just switch to the 200mb iphone plan. Won't need to unlock the APN afterall.
    10-06-10 01:08 PM
    Works on OS 4 too. I do it right now. You'll have functioning data as long as you
    unlock the APN as shown in that thread. But if you're going to sell your BB, then
    might as well just switch to the 200mb iphone plan. Won't need to unlock the APN afterall.

Thanks man, if I do make the switch, and go offical with ATT, will I be without data for a while if I do it on the att website, or will the change on the website give me instant access to my data?
    10-06-10 01:13 PM
    Thanks man, if I do make the switch, and go offical with ATT, will I be without data for a while if I do it on the att website, or will the change on the website give me instant access to my data?
    I don't see any reason why you shouldn't get instant access. But if you put
    your sim card in the phone right away, just do the APN unlock. It only takes
    like a minute. You can officially switch the data plan anytime you'd like.

Remember that if you do the APN unlock, you need to do it without the sim
    card in the phone and be connected to WiFi. Once you do it, go ahead and
    put the sim card, and data should work over cell connection.
    10-06-10 01:17 PM
    I have a 9700 and a 3gs. Both great phones but completely different. I can't use the 3gs for work, it's just too frustrating. It doesn't handle emails and attachments the way I want. Battery life is also not great for the workplace.

3gs is great on the weekends though. I think your preference will be decided based on your job. If you are emailing all day, I think bb will be better during the week. Also, iphone uses more data, so you may want to watch out for that.

I believe this is what they call a 'high class problem'. You can't go wrong either way.
    10-06-10 02:38 PM
    I dont see how it doesnt handle email properly. In fact if you dont have the choice to be provided with BES it handles it 100 times better than BIS which is a glorified big inbox (no folders or any essentials).

It has push so its just as fast as a BB.

And it handles attachments just fine. If you have Docs To Go or quickoffice, you can open the attachment right in those apps and save the attachment and even email it to someone else.

It may not have file system access (without jailbreaking) but its just a different way of doing it, not better or worse per say.
    10-06-10 02:48 PM
    I dont see how it doesnt handle email properly. In fact if you dont have the choice to be provided with BES it handles it 100 times better than BIS which is a glorified big inbox (no folders or any essentials).

It has push so its just as fast as a BB.

And it handles attachments just fine. If you have Docs To Go or quickoffice, you can open the attachment right in those apps and save the attachment and even email it to someone else.

It may not have file system access (without jailbreaking) but its just a different way of doing it, not better or worse per say.
    I said it doesn't handle email the way I want it to.

There's no mark all as read, that's almost a deal breaker right there. No led notification light. Lack of options in the emailing app (no menu key with a list of 10 + options) Email loading is sluggish compared to BB (selecting account, email to view etc.)

I can't think of all the problems I've had, but I would usually run into at least 1 problem or annoyance every day I used it for work.

Also, active exchange is great, but uses way to much data.
    Last edited by Walshy701; 10-06-10 at 03:20 PM.
    10-06-10 03:18 PM
    Actually, the LED light was a distraction. Never thought I'd say that. I actually get more done now, without it. Every single time that darn light would come on, I felt compelled to stop what I was doing and attend to it. Mine was "rigged" with color/blinking options, so it was...interesting.

I'm not big time enough to need to know when I get an email, at the very moment it arrives...all of the time. I can wait for the badge icon to display a number, when I happen to check my home screen.
    10-06-10 03:31 PM
    I agree about the light, everytime you see it blinking you have to check it. I get a lot more done too not worrying about some blinking light. When I get to my messages I get to them.
    10-06-10 07:19 PM
    to a refurbed 3gs.

I am not available for an upgrade, and the price of an off-contract iPhone4 is crazy.

Moving from BB to any device is going to be an adjustment. Before you move to an iPhone or any other platform, I would seriously look at your current needs in a smartphone and what you want in a device. You may even want to estimate your usage of calls, messaging, use of apps, web browsing an and battery performance. If you are looking for a better multimedia experience and the use of more applications, then the iPhone is for you. But if you are like me and get caught up in the specs and apps, but really have no need for them, then I would stay with the 9700. Its all about what you use your phone and not necessarily what the best all-around phone is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-10 08:06 PM
    Thanks guys.

I want to switch based on the apps the app store has available, and because the browser on any iPhone blows away the browser on any BB, including os 6.
    10-06-10 08:47 PM
    Quick question.

Like on the BB, is there a folder where all the messages goto?

And I have a 2nd Gen iTouch, and I can't my sent emails, will I be able to on the 3GS?
    10-07-10 09:33 AM
    Quick question.

Like on the BB, is there a folder where all the messages goto?

And I have a 2nd Gen iTouch, and I can't my sent emails, will I be able to on the 3GS?
    There is a unified inbox for emails since iOS 4.0. The unified inbox won't store your text messages though, just emails. If you want to seen your sent emails synced, you should set up your email account as an Exchange account. Exchange on iPhone will let you sync multiple folders. Like you, I also have the occasional need to see my sent emails, thus I have my sent email folder synced.
    10-07-10 09:48 AM
    to a refurbed 3gs.

It took me about a month or so to feel really fluid with the Iphone after using berries for 5 years.
    10-07-10 12:21 PM
    It took me about a month or so to feel really fluid with the Iphone after using berries for 5 years.
    Well I have had my iTouch longer than my 9700, im not worried about that adjustment.

So to see my sent e-mails on the phone I need to setup Outlook, can I do that with a gmail account?
    10-07-10 02:35 PM
    Well I have had my iTouch longer than my 9700, im not worried about that adjustment.

So to see my sent e-mails on the phone I need to setup Outlook, can I do that with a gmail account?
    With Gmail account, set it up as Exchange. Here's instructions:

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help

On iPhone, in the mail options, in the account options, tap on "Mail Folders to Push." From there pick the folders you want to sync. If you want to sync sent emails, pick that folder.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 10-07-10 at 02:50 PM.
    10-07-10 02:47 PM
    With Gmail account, set it up as Exchange. Here's instructions:

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help

On iPhone, in the mail options, in the account options, tap on "Mail Folders to Push." From there pick the folders you want to sync. If you want to sync sent emails, pick that folder.

Thanks man.

I will be posting a lot on this thread, as I made the jump and grabbed one off of eBay for $300 today.

Can't wait for it to arrive!
    10-07-10 06:57 PM
    Actually, the LED light was a distraction. Never thought I'd say that. I actually get more done now, without it. Every single time that darn light would come on, I felt compelled to stop what I was doing and attend to it. Mine was "rigged" with color/blinking options, so it was...interesting.

I'm not big time enough to need to know when I get an email, at the very moment it arrives...all of the time. I can wait for the badge icon to display a number, when I happen to check my home screen.
    Different strokes for different folks but there is an off option. I have a specific colour for family members and find the LED indispensable.

I agree about the light, everytime you see it blinking you have to check it. I get a lot more done too not worrying about some blinking light. When I get to my messages I get to them.
    When you use your device for work and a customer is calling you you're suppose to answer the phone/email/bbm...that's what the light is for.

If you don't need these types of instant notifications then stick with a consumer based phone. And guess what...you did..so all is well/

people here crack me up
    Last edited by RetroAndreas; 10-07-10 at 07:50 PM.
    10-07-10 07:47 PM
    Different strokes for different folks but there is an off option. I have a specific colour for family members and find the LED indispensable.

When you use your device for work and a customer is calling you you're suppose to answer the phone/email/bbm...that's what the light is for.

If you don't need these types of instant notifications then stick with a consumer based phone. And guess what...you did..so all is well/

people here crack me up
    You know what? I detect a bit of sarcasm, and I'm really not sure of the reason for it. If I'm wrong, stop reading. If I'm right, continue.

First off,
    You should have stopped at the red portion.

I try to be nice, when I come here. I don't bother folks about their phone choices. I don't get attitudes because somebody likes a phone other than my phone, regardless of how "silly" the reasons may be to me. Why? Because ultimately, I don't care. I don't get checks from RIM, nor Apple.

I'm an iPhone user, which is why I hang out here now. I've had two BBs, and loved them both. I use my iPhone for business, and I do fine. I don't visit the other BB boards, just to pick with folks about something that really doesn't matter to me. But, like you said, "Different strokes for different folks". Right?

Seems like some folks, and you seem to be one of them, feel a sharp pain in their nether regions, when someone even HINTS that they aren't feelin' a BB...for whatever reason. There is no logical explanation for sarcastic replies in these kind of threads. A life is worth getting. Get one.

Secondly,
    I know how to use a BB, probably as well as you, and definitely better than most. I also know about custom notifications. I had custom notifications.

The point is when you start using a BB, you can become accustomed to the LED light, and it CAN be part of the "addiction" or "CRACK" of a BB. So, you don't wanna turn off the notifications, even when you can. No biggie. Some of us are wired like that. Doesn't mean we're stupid or we missed the memo.

Thirdly,
    If you conclude that JUST because a person isn't keen on the instant notifications they need to get a "consumer based phone", considering all the other features of a BB, then you should consider that perspective "funnier" than anything you've read in this thread. So, start crackin' up at that.

Thank you.
    10-07-10 09:12 PM
    My iPhone has this new fangled feature. When someone calls me, it makes a sound. When I hear it, I answer it. It even has another feature, it vibrates too. So even when I can't hear it, I can feel it. I'm not accustomed to looking at my phone 24/7, but hey some people do stare at their phone 24/7 waiting for the light to go off. It looks like that's what you do, and you got one of those phones with a light.... so all is good.
    10-07-10 09:59 PM
    You know what? I detect a bit of sarcasm, and I'm really not sure of the reason for it. If I'm wrong, stop reading. If I'm right, continue.
    Thank you.
    I Stopped reading.

My iPhone has this new fangled feature. When someone calls me, it makes a sound. When I hear it, I answer it. It even has another feature, it vibrates too. So even when I can't hear it, I can feel it. I'm not accustomed to looking at my phone 24/7, but hey some people do stare at their phone 24/7 waiting for the light to go off. It looks like that's what you do, and you got one of those phones with a light.... so all is good.
    how about noisy areas where one is wearing heavy clothing or moving around alot ...vibration is not always noticed. Not sure if you have performed manual labour so you may not be able to relate.

or in my case i hate holsters and leave my phone on the desk (fast paced office environment)..maybe charging..just need to glance over at the phone without picking it up to see there is a message

or how about at home when watching a movie at high volume or simply moving around the house with music on,,,the phone blinks..i know someone has called or messaged me without having to pick up the phone or wear it around the house

lots of reasons for the LED option that can be turned off

and all is great
    10-07-10 10:35 PM
    I Stopped reading.

how about noisy areas where one is wearing heavy clothing or moving around alot ...vibration is not always noticed. Not sure if you have performed manual labour so you may not be able to relate.

or in my case i hate holsters and leave my phone on the desk (fast paced office environment)..maybe charging..just need to glance over at the phone without picking it up to see there is a message

or how about at home when watching a movie at high volume or simply moving around the house with music on,,,the phone blinks..i know someone has called or messaged me without having to pick up the phone or wear it around the house

lots of reasons for the LED option that can be turned off

and all is great
    LOL

So you're telling me that when you're wearing heaving clothing or moving around, you don't notice the vibration, but you can see the light blinking? How often you look at that thing? Every hour? Every half hour? Every couple of minutes? Every minute? Every few seconds?

Sorry man, I don't live and die by the phone. If I miss a call or ten, it's no big deal. They either call back or I call them back. Doesn't matter to me whether it's friends, family, or business. I ignore three quarters of the calls that come through the company phone anyway, let the voicemail system take it. I have a secretary who listens to them and calls people back for me. Same with emails, same with text messages and whatever.

As for manual labor, I performed some back in my youth. Didn't really like it. Actually, it wasn't bad. It just didn't pay well enough.

Phone calls when watching TV or a movie, again, you're telling me you see the light but can't hear the sound? Are you watching the movie or watching the phone? If I get miss a call when doing something, no big deal, I call them back. Emails and other stuff are even lower priority than phone calls.

I carry my phone in my pocket, and sometimes I don't hear it or feel the vibrator thing. I call back when I see the missed call. Blinky light wouldn't do me much good in my pocket anyway, not like I got X-Ray vision.

If you want to be a slave to your phone, that's fine, get the phone with the blinky light and hook it up to Bluetooth and wear that thing around everywhere like I see all the lawyer types doing. That's not for me.
    10-07-10 11:16 PM
    LOL

So you're telling me that when you're wearing heaving clothing or moving around, you don't notice the vibration, but you can see the light blinking? How often you look at that thing? Every hour? Every half hour? Every couple of minutes? Every minute? Every few seconds?

Sorry man, I don't live and die by the phone. If I miss a call or ten, it's no big deal. They either call back or I call them back. Doesn't matter to me whether it's friends, family, or business. I ignore three quarters of the calls that come through the company phone anyway, let the voicemail system take it. I have a secretary who listens to them and calls people back for me. Same with emails, same with text messages and whatever.

As for manual labor, I performed some back in my youth. Didn't really like it. Actually, it wasn't bad. It just didn't pay well enough.

Phone calls when watching TV or a movie, again, you're telling me you see the light but can't hear the sound? Are you watching the movie or watching the phone? If I get miss a call when doing something, no big deal, I call them back. Emails and other stuff are even lower priority than phone calls.

In sales and sometimes on industrial locations with high noise, missing calls may cost me sales/money. My phone is no different to me as a hammer to a carpenter. Not a fashion accessory.

As to watching a movie and waiting to the end to pick up messages, I guess you don't have kids.

Different Strokes.....
    10-08-10 05:35 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD