The chatter about a iPhone for VZW is getting more and more loud. Personally I think a VZW iPhone in 2011 is a strong possibility now with all the leaked news stories. It simply makes business sense for Apple to want its device to be available to another 90 million people for purcahse. Anyways lets just say it really does happen and there is an iPhone for VZW released in early 2011. I'm assuming this would be a CDMA iPhone 4. Same everything minus the CDMA radio. So this got me thinking, if the iPhone for VZW ends up being the iPhone 4 and as usual everyone else gets the iPhone 5 in July of 2011, everyone on VZW will have an out of date iPhone.

I would like to see the iPhone on VZW being the same iPhone everyone else gets. So what makes sense would be in July of 2011 release the iPhone 5 in its usual GSM and now CDMA flavors. Also it would be a strange move on Apple's part, one I wouldn't be able to explain, if VZW gets the iPhone 4 in early 2011 and then the iPhone 5 in July. That would definitely cause mass outrage for sure.

So how do you guys see everything panning out?
    10-23-10 12:14 AM
    The chatter about a iPhone for VZW is getting more and more loud. Personally I think a VZW iPhone in 2011 is a strong possibility now with all the leaked news stories. It simply makes business sense for Apple to want its device to be available to another 90 million people for purcahse. Anyways lets just say it really does happen and there is an iPhone for VZW released in early 2011. I'm assuming this would be a CDMA iPhone 4. Same everything minus the CDMA radio. So this got me thinking, if the iPhone for VZW ends up being the iPhone 4 and as usual everyone else gets the iPhone 5 in July of 2011, everyone on VZW will have an out of date iPhone.

I would like to see the iPhone on VZW being the same iPhone everyone else gets. So what makes sense would be in July of 2011 release the iPhone 5 in its usual GSM and now CDMA flavors. Also it would be a strange move on Apple's part, one I wouldn't be able to explain, if VZW gets the iPhone 4 in early 2011 and then the iPhone 5 in July. That would definitely cause mass outrage for sure.

You definitely make a good point, there's going to be a new and better iphone by the time the iphone 4 comes to verizon. Maybe the iphone may come out a little bit sooner for verizon and then maybe even sooner after that when the newer iphone is released.
    10-23-10 02:04 PM
    Massive outrage?

Lol, I highly doubt it. There was probably 2 things that the iPhone 4 brought out new than the 3Gs - High Res Display and its so called "Multi-tasking".

Everything else, not including the crappy antenna on the iP4, is just the same.

What will they bring to the new iPhone5? Probably a larger screen, and something as revolutionary as accepting Flash or something.

Who knows. Its all speculation anyway.
    10-23-10 09:25 PM

You've done a great job summarizing the rumors. The popular rumors have a CDMA only iPhone being released in January-March time frame. Apple has gotten into the habit of updating iPhones in the July time frame. The 2011 refresh supposedly has a GSM/CDMA Qualcomm chip. This means the same device could be activated on both carriers. This way, both carriers will have current iPhones.

The rumors suggest an earlier Verizon CDMA-only release and then a subsequent dual mode release at the usual time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-10 09:37 PM
    Massive outrage?

Lol, I highly doubt it. There was probably 2 things that the iPhone 4 brought out new than the 3Gs - High Res Display and its so called "Multi-tasking".

What will they bring to the new iPhone5? Probably a larger screen, and something as revolutionary as accepting Flash or something.

A4 1ghz processor, double the RAM to 512mb, 5mp camera, much bigger battery (giving 2 hours more talk time). Lots of good stuff it brought

Multitasking had nothing to do with the device, that was OS4

I agree with OP itd make zero sense to release an iphone 4 CDMA mid cycle when July wont be far away. Itd make a lot more sense if there is one to come in July with the new GSM model.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-23-10 at 09:47 PM.
    10-23-10 09:45 PM
    Massive outrage?

I didn't know the 2g, 3g and 3gs could record 720p HD video. I keep hearing the iPhone 4 battery puts the 3GS battery to shame as well. Oh and that front camera thing.. what do they call it.. dammit.. oh FACETIME!
    10-23-10 10:04 PM
    You've done a great job summarizing the rumors. The popular rumors have a CDMA only iPhone being released in January-March time frame. Apple has gotten into the habit of updating iPhones in the July time frame. The 2011 refresh supposedly has a GSM/CDMA Qualcomm chip. This means the same device could be activated on both carriers. This way, both carriers will have current iPhones.

The rumors suggest an earlier Verizon CDMA-only release and then a subsequent dual mode release at the usual time.

Well that would be an issue in my mind. People going nuts the iPhone is finally on Verizon, lock them into contracts, and then release a new iPhone model rather shortly? I don't see it making sense from Apple's or Verizon's point of view. So again the Jan-March time frame for a Verizon iPhone bothers me. Two things would be good:

1.) Release the iPhone 5 (I'm assuming the device name) in Jan-March FOR ALL CARRIERS. (Good but highly unlikely that Apple change their usual July iPhone release.)
    2.) Realease the iPhone 5 FOR ALL CARRIERS in July. I'm sure all of us on Verizon can wait a few more months. And actually what makes more sense for the July release date is that Verizon LTE coverage would obviously be farther along in its planned roll-out. So if Apple is the company which has built its reputation on being the one that usually pioneers or puts out the latest tech in its devices, I'm sure Mr. Jobs is interested in the iPhone running at 4G speeds before most of its competition does.
    10-24-10 12:50 AM
    Im on the fence if the next iphone will be LTE. Remember the iphone wasnt 3G for the first version when 3G was already available.

I dont think LTE will be prominent enough by July to make LTE a necessity on the iphone 5
    10-24-10 01:06 AM
    Well, if the release in January is just a CDMA iPhone 4 everyone is going to know there will be a new version again around July anyway. So, if you don't want one that will be outdated in July, then don't buy the one in January. Anyone who does that and then gets mad has nobody to blame but themselves. I'm probably going to go ahead and buy the January model no matter what and just be happy that the old beater 3G can finally be retired. Will still have the BB if we decide to leave the country and need GSM capabilities anyway.
    10-24-10 03:56 AM
    Well, if the release in January is just a CDMA iPhone 4 everyone is going to know there will be a new version again around July anyway. So, if you don't want one that will be outdated in July, then don't buy the one in January. Anyone who does that and then gets mad has nobody to blame but themselves. I'm probably going to go ahead and buy the January model no matter what and just be happy that the old beater 3G can finally be retired. Will still have the BB if we decide to leave the country and need GSM capabilities anyway.
    Well that's all fine and dandy assuming Verizon gets an updated iPhone in July. Maybe CDMA iPhone will only ever be released in January trailing their GSM counterparts by 6 or so months. So Verizon gets iPhone 5 in Jan 2012 while AT&T gets iPhone 6 in July 2012.
    10-24-10 11:56 AM
    Just curious on public opinion...do you really foresee Apple doing anything major with the iphone in 2011? Another complete redesign or how they did the 3g>>>3gs?
    10-24-10 03:14 PM
    Just curious on public opinion...do you really foresee Apple doing anything major with the iphone in 2011? Another complete redesign or how they did the 3g>>>3gs?
    Possibilities include but are not limited to:

1.) Larger screen. Maybe only a slight increase from the current 3.5" to 3.7".
    2.) Redesigned hardware to get Apple out from under the cloud of the iPhone 4 antenna debacle.
    3.) new version of iOS (a given).
    4.) Tweaking of the internals. The usual Apple point of increased battery life and efficiency.
    5.) CDMA version of the iPhone.
    10-24-10 06:57 PM
    i really hope Verizon release a CDMA version of the iphone 4... since they have released the ipad..
    it will be beneficial to most people.. especially us.. AT&T subscribers..
    we need more people to switch to verizon and unclog the network especially in metro areas
    10-24-10 11:26 PM
    Well that's all fine and dandy assuming Verizon gets an updated iPhone in July. Maybe CDMA iPhone will only ever be released in January trailing their GSM counterparts by 6 or so months. So Verizon gets iPhone 5 in Jan 2012 while AT&T gets iPhone 6 in July 2012.
    The iPhone 4 will get a slight upgrade in January, adding CDMA capability to the current device. "Supposedly" that means that the AT&T model will also get the CDMA radio, so all the iPhones will be the same at that point; just configured via software to work on their respective networks. Then around July the iPhone 5 will come out and possibly be 4G compatible, in which case they'd probably just call it "4G."

We really don't need to have a 4G phone, so will probably get the regular 4 with the CDMA radio.
    10-26-10 05:25 PM
    +1 i think the next one will be iphone 4G as well..
    and additional $10 for using the 4G network just like what Sprint is doing.
    10-26-10 05:39 PM
    I hope Apple will release an upgraded iPhone 4 in January and fix the antenna issues. I like my X so I could probably wait till summer 2011 for the iPhone 5 on Verizon to go alongside my X.
    10-31-10 07:25 AM
    Im on the fence if the next iphone will be LTE. Remember the iphone wasnt 3G for the first version when 3G was already available.

I dont think LTE will be prominent enough by July to make LTE a necessity on the iphone 5
    There is zero chance the iPhone 5 will be a LTE device. Apple is not the type of company that will let the carriers use it's device to be a first line guena pig for a network that will undoubtedly have issues.

10-31-10 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD