So I went into the local verizon wireless store and paid my ETF. The guy was being smug and started the typical " oh you got an iPhone well just be aware that only % 30 of the country is covered under 3G with AT&T and % 90 is covered with verizon. Then when I was leaving he said " enjoy your phone, even when you get no bars " it sort of turned me off. So I thought I'd open it up. Those seem like pretty odd numbers to me. Comments?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-09 04:23 PM
    So I went into the local verizon wireless store and paid my ETF. The guy was being smug and started the typical " oh you got an iPhone well just be aware that only % 30 of the country is covered under 3G with AT&T and % 90 is covered with verizon. Then when I was leaving he said " enjoy your phone, even when you get no bars " it sort of turned me off. So I thought I'd open it up. Those seem like pretty odd numbers to me. Comments?

He may or may not be correct, but I left VZW because they didn't have coverage where I needed it and AT&T does.
    07-04-09 04:33 PM
    Yes and no, the numbers are about right, but country should be changed to population. no sense in covering areas witout people
    07-04-09 04:36 PM

Should have told him you will enjoy your faster speeds on a network that isn't outdated. You should of also asked him to try and talk on the phone and receive and email. You should of also told him that you will enjoy your device because they can't cripple it.

I can think of some more if you want to go back and make fun of him.

Those numbers might be about right though, although Verizon has had their 3G network up and running for much longer.
    07-04-09 05:03 PM
    total BS check the coverage maps. Plus, as above, who cares if its 90% of 80%, as long as there's coverage where you need. Last time I checked cows and corn fields dont use cell phones... so who really cares

Sounds like some ignorant employee propaganda.
    07-04-09 05:09 PM
    Its like trying to convince hard core store owners their phone sucks. Why bother? Enjoy your new phone, I just got mine and I'm loving it.
    07-04-09 05:12 PM
    Its like trying to convince hard core store owners their phone sucks. Why bother? Enjoy your new phone, I just got mine and I'm loving it.
    Congrats on the iPhone!
    07-04-09 05:13 PM
    Yeah just thought it was tacky. I will enjoy it bunches and I think AT&T is good I get a better signal where I live then I did with verizon.

07-04-09 05:58 PM
    Should have told him you get the coverage you need and besides, ATT has better devices. You should have asked him, how to get the dust from under the Storm's screen
    07-04-09 06:21 PM
    they did the same thing to me when i paid my fee also. they are just bitter but as they loose us as a customer they probably gain about 100 so why do they honetly care. att is just as verizon in my opinion. i have been with att for about 3 weeks now and have not noticed one difference
    07-04-09 06:36 PM
    Should have told him you get the coverage you need and besides, ATT has better devices. You should have asked him, how to get the dust from under the Storm's screen
    He should have also asked him how does he use apps that use data when he's talking on the phone. Does he hang up to get more emails and then call the person back, then hang up to send the reply to emails and then call them again? It's a vicious cycle for CDMA being without simultaneous voice and data, lol.
    07-04-09 08:02 PM
    Should have told him you will enjoy your faster speeds on a network that isn't outdated. You should of also asked him to try and talk on the phone and receive and email. You should of also told him that you will enjoy your device because they can't cripple it.

Those numbers might be about right though, although Verizon has had their 3G network up and running for much longer.

I am not fully sure but I believe GSM is actually the Older network technically...

but none the less its all going to change when the world is lte..

there is no doubt that GSM has benefits that cdma doesn't but cdma also has benefits that GSM doesn't..

IE cdma can make/receive calls even with little to no bars without dropping where as GSM will start to taper off more..

however on the plus side of GSM you have voice and data on the same side..

but both AT&T and Verizon look to be going LTE anyway so its going to be a non issue in the future at that point it will just matter who has more towers.

there is no doubt that at&t works good in some places and that verizon works better then at&t in some places.

I think people take the argument to far overall though there both extremely high rated networks over all even though verizon may control more rural areas its not like there the number 1 and 2 network for nothing you know?
    07-05-09 01:00 AM

Right cause you can hold the phone and answer emails right ?
    07-05-09 01:26 AM
    Sure can. Use of a Bluetooth or even on speaker makes it a snap.
    07-05-09 07:23 AM
    total BS check the coverage maps. Plus, as above, who cares if its 90% of 80%, as long as there's coverage where you need. Last time I checked cows and corn fields dont use cell phones... so who really cares

Sounds like some ignorant employee propaganda.
    Yeah, but it sure is nice having 3G when I'm traveling across the country and driving past those cows and cornfields.
    07-05-09 01:32 PM
    Yeah, easily. I know it's a revolutionary concept to a Storm owner.

OMG Data & Voice? LIES!
    07-05-09 07:05 PM
    Pretty easily. Speaker phone works wonders (or a Bluetooth headset).

07-05-09 08:22 PM

You know what I would of done? I would of mouthed off to him about VZ having 0 service in Europe.. I would of said "Can you hear me now... in Italy? no.. France? Nope.. UK? negative."
    07-06-09 10:31 AM
    After being a vzw customer for 3 years I have finally made the switch to AT&T and got the iphone 3gs. Honestly yea verizon's network is much better in nyc but I have wifi at work, wifi at home, and the at&t coverage isn't bad overall... But the iphone is sooo worth it I mean I've had blackberries for what seems like forever and the truth is the OS is outdated and RIM is playing it safe and not making any changes. Same OS different packaging. After suffering with the storm (worse BB IMHO) I've made the switch and couldn't be happier. Don't let vzw get you down coverage is good on at&t and you get the best overall smartphone your money can buy. There is no one who can honestly say that the Iphone isn't the model of how a smartphone should be built
    07-06-09 02:58 PM
    I agree and the amount of free apps? Its mind blowing! It am really happy with it. The funny thing is people say its over rated? How can it be over rated? No one can force you to like or hate a phone, its ratings are based of a base of genuinely happy customers.
    07-06-09 04:29 PM
    I remember when I paid the ETF to Verizon last year when I got the 3G they tried telling me the same thing.
    07-06-09 05:30 PM
    I remember when I paid the ETF to Verizon last year when I got the 3G they tried telling me the same thing.
    It's cause they are butthurt. It's like that rich/prissy neighbor who always tries to 1 up you.. and if they can't.. they make you feel bad.
    07-06-09 05:32 PM
    It's cause they are butthurt. It's like that rich/prissy neighbor who always tries to 1 up you.. and if they can't.. they make you feel bad.
    That made my day. LoL Or they get really unbearably noisy just to **** you off.
    " HEY! HEY ! DON'T MAKE ME GET THE BROOM OUT!. "
    07-06-09 06:50 PM
    I actually got into a fight (verbal only) with a Verizon rep today. My friend went to go into the VZW store to buy a case for his Dare. I was just there with him and I received a text on my iPhone. The VZW rep instantly said something about it. It was something a long the lines of "Wow you have the worst phone on the worst network". I proceeded to make him look like a complete fool. I showed him thing he can't do, wished he could do and prayed he can do. He then pulled out a Storm. I laughed in his face and he got really pissed. We did a speed test, it was a joke. Then I said, "Hey let's try this on WiFi". He looked at me because I already knew what he was going to say.

Long story short (because I really let him have it), he lost about 5-8 customers that were in the store with us. I don't know where they went after that, but they all looked very pleased with how the iPhone out performed his "best device comparable device", and my knowledge about his network and every other network out there. I told him to have a nice day and at that point he was very nice to me lol.

VZW reps seem to be very cocky, and I have noticed this even when I had Verizon. Whatever though, he learned his lesson that will not beat an informed consumer in an argument. I did feel bad he lost customers though.

Funny how this happed a few days after I told you what to do after they said what they did.
    07-06-09 07:26 PM
    That's too funny. You know when you go into the store, and talk to the Rep's and they say. " We don't really know much about the devices that are in planning. " Before I jumped from the storm, to the iPhone I was thinking about going to the tour, and the Rep over the phone was like... " What's the tour? " LoL. So I think it's clear to me as I learn more from CrackBerry I will be able to talk smack if need be.
    07-06-09 07:52 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD