Ok, I've with Verizon for about 6 years or so. Never had any issues with their service. I've been really supportive of them because of their service as well as I'm in the VIP program (I can upgrade to a phone every year at a discounted price). However, I have to admit to myself that their phone selection isn't that great. And honestly, nothing can compete with the iPhone. I mean I was gullible enough to get the Voyager when Verizon hyped it up to be an iPhone competitor which it definitely wasn't. Then I got the Storm which was supposed to "blow" the iPhone out of the water. Obviously, that didn't happen..don't get me wrong, I actually like the Storm and BB's in general but I want something new and fresh...I'm bored with my phone...

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at here is should I really switch carriers for a phone? I know people say you should never switch carriers for a phone but I'm to that point where I'm leaning towards doing so. But this is the only thing setting me back from getting it. I'm not sure if I want to go to at&t because I here not so great things about their service. I live in the North Jersey area so if anyone have any experience with this area, please chime in. Also, I work for the state gov't and I'm able to get a 17% discount with Verizon. Would I be able to get a discount with at&t as well?

Sorry for the long rant, just want to hear some feedback
    09-24-09 09:41 PM
    I was offered a 15% discount on accessories and my bill as a city firefighter....not on iphone itself unfortunately....
    09-24-09 09:46 PM
    You can also get a refurbished iphone for less.
    09-24-09 09:49 PM
    You've said a lot but you didn't make any mention of you actually using the iPhone. If you haven't, I would say the best thing to do is to go into a store that has a demo phone that you can play around with for a few minutes, see if you actually like how the interface and keyboard is compared to your BB Storm.

From there, I would then do some research on ATT coverage in your area, is it worth switching if you can't even make/receive calls most the time?

Finally, your deal sounds pretty sweet since you work with the government. I would say not to get rid of the verizon phone completely if you got the cash, just downgrade it's plan to something real basic.

That's my two cents...
    09-24-09 10:07 PM
    Absolutely DO NOT do what the guy mentioned above and
    just go into a store that has a demo phone that you can play around with for a few minutes
    (no offense). This is where all the people think they can make an educated assessment with just a few minutes. What I would recommend is take AT&T up on their 30 day trial period and actually use the phone for more than just a few minutes...if you are not satisfied return it and cancel your contract then go back to Verizon.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 09-24-09 at 10:48 PM.
    09-24-09 10:46 PM
    Absolutely DO NOT do what the guy mentioned above and (no offense). This is where all the people think they can make an educated assessment with just a few minutes. What I would recommend is take AT&T up on their 30 day trial period and actually use the phone for more than just a few minutes...if you are not satisfied return it and cancel your contract then go back to Verizon.

agreed, however there will be no returning it if your currently using a storm.
    09-25-09 08:39 AM
    I was with Verizon for probably 10+ years - and recently made the switch. I did the 30 day trial with ATT and just forwarded my VZW/BB Curve number to the temporary ATT number on the iPhone and used the heck out of the iPhone 3gs for the 30 days.

Ended up keeping it and porting everything over to ATT - and also getting my wife one too (she's so NOT a tech/geek person) - and she loves the thing. In fact she uses her iPhone more than I use mine.

I'm near Pittsburgh and so far I've been happy with the ATT coverage. It's not quite as good as VZW's but for the iPhone I can live with that.
    09-25-09 09:53 AM
    All I can say, and you can read from my thread....the iPhone is a great phone IMHO. The only thing that sucks is dead spots from AT&T. Other than that....I would do the switch. I did it and I haven't looked back since. I talked a lot of crap about the iPhone but....its a helluva lot better than the Storm or any phone that Verizon is offering right now. And I got suckered just like you did with the Voyager and the Storm. So technically....we got screwed....twice...lol.
    09-25-09 10:38 AM
    Thanks everyone for the replies, you've all been helpful. I forgot to mention that I do have a iPod touch so I know what type of interface to expect. I mean I love the touch but it feels like I maybe missing out on some of the features that the iPhone has that the touch may not have. I don't know. I guess I'll go into at&t to see if they will cut me a deal on the iphone plan and try it out for 30 days and go from there. It can't hurt to try and if I don't like then I can always return it. Now, I just have to get my husband on board. lol
    09-25-09 11:02 AM
    I don't see anything wrong with switching carriers to get the iphone. If its the phone you really want, then why not? I would.
    09-25-09 01:13 PM
    I agree about AT&Ts service as being not as great but with 3G it blows verizon out of the water. I've had a lot of pleasure using the iPhone and I am glad I made the switch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

also, when I show zero bars or one bar on edge I have not dropped a call as of yet. With my bb I wouldn't even be able to make an outgoing call. I am pleased with coverage.
    09-25-09 01:22 PM
    Or maybe you can just wait till the iPhone comes to Verizon!
    09-25-09 01:43 PM
    I was with Verizon for over 15 years, recently had the BB curve (for 2 years). Never thought I would leave VZW because of their service and how much I liked the BB. Switched to the Iphone out of the blue about 2 weeks ago and love it - Havent missed a beat with the new phone compared to the BB.
    09-25-09 01:51 PM
    My AT&T service has been comparable. Haven't notice a big difference in coverage and 3G speed is great. Also, IMO phones are good reason to switch carriers. 1st comes coverage and then devices. If I can get both, then why not. No sense and getting good coverage with boring devices when I can get good coverage is a great device.
    09-25-09 02:19 PM
    I was in the same boat. I got the iphone and was skeptical of AT&T. Honestly there is a very slight noticeable difference in service. But having the iphone more then makes up for it.
    09-25-09 04:19 PM
    I was with Verizon for 10+ years but got so disgusted with my Storm rebooting itself on a daily basis when I got a phone call, or the battery just mysteriously draining itself in a couple of hours, that I jumped ship. I bought out my Verizon contract and went with AT & T and bought a iPhone 3GS. I asked around alot first about how people liked their iPhones and my boyfriend got one so I could actually see how much more user-friendly it was than my Storm. I really wanted my Storm to be better but it just got so darn frustrating. The selection of apps is awesome, the speed and usability of the web-browser rocks and I don't forsee going back in the near future. When I called Verizon to tell them I was thinking of cancelling my contract they didn't try to sweeten the deal at all to stop me from moving my business even after being with them for so long. I guess they don't need the business.
    10-02-09 03:14 PM
    I was with Verizon for 10+ years but got so disgusted with my Storm rebooting itself on a daily basis when I got a phone call, or the battery just mysteriously draining itself in a couple of hours, that I jumped ship. I bought out my Verizon contract and went with AT & T and bought a iPhone 3GS. I asked around alot first about how people liked their iPhones and my boyfriend got one so I could actually see how much more user-friendly it was than my Storm. I really wanted my Storm to be better but it just got so darn frustrating. The selection of apps is awesome, the speed and usability of the web-browser rocks and I don't forsee going back in the near future. When I called Verizon to tell them I was thinking of cancelling my contract they didn't try to sweeten the deal at all to stop me from moving my business even after being with them for so long. I guess they don't need the business.
    Last year I had the Voyager and I was having some trouble with it. So, I called VZW and told them that I was thinking about going to at&t for the iPhone. They actually persuaded me to stay by giving me my NE2 ($100 credit off a phone) 14 months ahead of when I was supposed to get it. So, of course I stayed and got the BB storm when it first came out. I do like it but again I'm getting sick of the reboots and the stupid hour glass every time I try to unlock it or open up something else. I still don't know what to do. I mean there are rumors of a VZW iPhone that may possibly come as soon as next year so I'm thinking about waiting to see what happens. But if Apple were to re-up their contract with at&t, I think I will jump ship. Yeah, I'm just tired of the Storm and I don't see myself getting the Storm 2 or another BB since they're all pretty much the same (software wise).
    10-02-09 03:25 PM
    I was a 10 year Verizon customer to. There phone service was outstanding and I had heard that AT&T service was horrible. Over the last year have had so many issue with Verizons customer service and the Storm. After going through 5 Storms in 5 months I had had enough with the terrible phone and could no longer deal with terrible treatment from the customer service reps. I dreaded each time I had to deal with them at the Verizon store. I finally got pissed to the point that I told them to go stick it. I walked right over to AT&T and was blown away by the treatment I received from everyone there. I have never seen such nice people that really cared about my needs. I did have issues with dropped calls but not to the point that I would miss Verizon. My wife and kids stayed at Verizon. Last week I had to take my daughter to Verizon because her 2 month old phone fell apart. I was sick to my stomach knowing I had to go deal with the hour wait only to be greeted by a nasty tech. They gave me a hard time and I said cancel all 3 phones. I again walked over to AT&T and was greeted with a handshake and a smile. I now have 4 phones with them. I love my iPhone. I love AT&T. Verizon takes their customers for granted. Keep doing what you are doing Verizon. Your competition thanks you!
    10-02-09 03:30 PM
    I recently made the switch and I'm not looking back... I feel like a traitor!
    10-02-09 07:30 PM
    What? Some people take this stuff way too serious. If you want to switch.... switch. It's just a phone. It's not like you're denouncing your citizenship or anything (I know our country is going down the tubes, but it's still the best on this earth).

I would have jumped ship on my wife�s plan long ago if AT&T worked where I live, but having no service at my residence is not an option with her.

My phone is on a business plan, so getting them to switch to AT&T is out of the question. I did however buy a Tour outright because I was tired of my old Samsung SCH I-760. The only reason I did this was because I didn't want to sign a new 2 year contract right now in case the I-Phone comes to Verizon soon. I plan to keep it until there is some solid information about Apple re-signing with AT&T or announcing they are coming to Verizon. At that point I will have an I-Phone if they come to Verizon and give my Tour to my wife to replace her 8330. Or, if they re-sign with AT&T, I'll get a new BB (probably the Tour 2), give my Tour to my wife then wait two more years to see what has changed.

You all shouldn't worry about being a "traitor" or anything else. It's a phone we're talking about.
    10-03-09 08:23 AM
    Make the switch. 48 hours with the iPhone coming from the Storm and I will never look back. Lets face is the iPhone well... Works... No battery pull, just as fast as the day I got it, and the only thing I can say bad is the battery life kinda sucks if you use it all day long.
    10-03-09 09:49 AM
    I was thinking about going to AT&T for the iPhone but the signal isn't as good as verizon's out here but if it were or if AT&T loses its exclusivity to the iPhone and it comes to Verizon then I'd probably get it
    10-03-09 09:57 AM
    You should get it because it is just simply awesome! With RIM's latest offerings, there's no way I'd ever consider going back.
    10-03-09 10:09 AM
    Make the switch. 48 hours with the iPhone coming from the Storm and I will never look back. Lets face is the iPhone well... Works... No battery pull, just as fast as the day I got it, and the only thing I can say bad is the battery life kinda sucks if you use it all day long.
    I said the same thing at one point and then realized something... I was using the phone. I use it more than any phone I've ever had, so I'm guessing this is the reason battery seems bad. For other people, battery sucking is due to:

• No more phone + iPod, they now have both
    • Bigger screen, awesome resolution
    • Real HTML email
    • Simultaneous voice and data << for those coming from CDMA or EDGE devices
    • PC-like Web browsing
    • Apps! << One of the biggest reasons
    10-03-09 02:16 PM
    I'm in North Jersey - Bergen County and travel throughout Passaic and Hudson Counties (& more)... The service is remarkable.

The 3G isn't as faster as Rockland County, NY ... but it's still faster than Verizon & Sprint (both I've had or currently have).

If service is a worry, then it shouldn't be as you'll notice North Jersey is pretty much blanketed with 3G coverage.
    10-03-09 02:19 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD