02-08-12 09:25 AM
    It must be frustrating for the writer of the article when someone else gets to write the headline.
    02-08-12 09:26 AM
    Let's keep this going. Here's one:

Consumers don't care for the PlayBook
    02-08-12 09:44 AM
    Let's keep this going. Here's one:

Consumers don't care for the PlayBook
    i didnt make the article title, and you should at least post news.
    02-08-12 09:53 AM
    I don't think it matters what the carriers think about the iPhone. They know if they drop the iPhone from their lineup, they're signing their on death warrant when subscribers jump ship and move on to another carrier that carries the iPhone. The public loves the iPhone and until that changes, I can't see carriers being so stupid as to do anything about it.
    pilsbury and foxpat220022 like this.
    02-08-12 10:07 AM
    I don't know about other consumers but this one loves his.

What is frustrating is certain fans whos life mission is searching for bad news to shove in the face of other fans and are compelled to spew their crap in every thread they see. Either they have no life, are worried their stock will go down if they don't keep the fight going or are just annoying people in every day life.

Nana nana boo boo
    02-08-12 10:14 AM
    So the carriers are upset because Apple products have a financial choke hold on them? They can't drop them because they would lose a high percentage of their profits. It's obvious they're profiting from the association with Apple Inc, and it's equally obvious that no one forced them to sell Apple products in the first place. This report is redundant at very least, but consider the source, BGR.
    foxpat220022 likes this.
    02-08-12 10:18 AM
    I agree with you there; people have a vendetta against RIM and I dont necessarily see why that is, especially in the non-Blackberry focused media.
    02-08-12 10:23 AM
    We could always go with the active thread instead of creating a new one: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...tunity-695773/ . It even has some real discussion.
    02-08-12 10:37 AM
    Well, I can see the earnings disappointments are not exactly positive but only a detailed look at the books would tell if the iPhone is to blame.

You really have to look at the larger picture, Apple is now an economic power house and if you look at their financials, they're quickly running out of room to stuff more cash into their bank accounts. So, one can easily see the disparity of fortunes between the two entities and I'm sure the carries feel THEY were the enablers of Apple's accent to super-tech status.

I imagine the heads of many carriers are currently having nightmares about the early negotiations with Apple and how they completely missed out on the revenues that flow to Apple, over their very own networks ! This is why RIM (and Android) will always have a place at the major carriers, even though they may not sell as much product. They act as a counterbalance to Apple becoming a monopoly and dictating terms to any company that deals with them.

This is why both Google and RIM are in Apple's gun sights and are the targets for "special treatment" programs.

Carrier's need to make Apple accountable for their costs, if affected by the iPhone's presence on their networks. We know the Iphone is notoriously data inefficient and with the increased eco-systems running behind the scenes, this problem will only get worse.

Unfortunately for them, they are the front line to the customer and as we all know, iPhone users must have their Angry Birds.
    02-08-12 10:46 AM
    Of course the carriers don't like the iPhone. It goes against their normal business model. With feature phones, Androids, and Blackberrys they get to make extra cash by selling off real estate in the phone you are buying in the way of software demos or their own carrier bloatware. They also get to have you do some advertising for them by sticking their logo on the phone to go along with the manufacturer and (in most instances) they control the retail packaging.

This isn't and never will be the case with the iPhone. Apple thumbs their nose at the normal way that carriers conduct business and there is nothing AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, et al can do about it.

Of course they don't like it.
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-08-12 10:47 AM
    And who is going to pay for their loss? Everyone with price increases. Not just apple owners, everyone.
    02-08-12 10:52 AM
    Personally, one reason I love iPhone is that they dictate terms to the major TELCOS. They have a great product, and the power to prevent ATT and Verizon from completely screwing up the experience for the end user. They use that power for the benefit of those who buy their products.

I'd be offended if the manufacturer of my phone, the one I pay good money for, truncated my emails on behalf of the carrier so that I use LESS of my bandwidth. Bandwidth I also pay good money for. To with the carriers. Apple has them by the balls and squeeze hard, I say. It's to the benefit of their (Apple's) customers.
    02-10-12 11:40 PM
    And who is going to pay for their loss? Everyone with price increases. Not just apple owners, everyone.
    But folks have a choice. Buy the phone that calls the shots, or buy a phone that has its shots called.

Universities pillage academics to support athletic programs. I don't like it, but I could get out of my crummy dorm and into a multi-million dollar stadium by playing athletics, or I could opt out of a University that has those priorities.

Carriers pay big bucks for the privilege of offering iPhone, since most* of their customers demand it. I have the choice of buying an iPhone and benefiting, or remaining with another phone and subsidizing the iPhone. Or I can opt out of that carrier for one that doesn't offer products that demand such a premium.

*most, as in, no other model outsells the iPhone, and iPhone makes up the majority of ATT and VZW smartphone sales.
    02-11-12 11:46 AM
    Works like everything else. Even if you don't use it you get screwed along with everyone else.
    02-11-12 12:03 PM
    Works like everything else. Even if you don't use it you get screwed along with everyone else.
    If it makes that much of a long term impact on pricing, then some carrier will drop the iPhone and offer lower cost plans and/or make huge profits.

Personally I doubt it makes enough long term impact to move the plan pricing very much at all.

Of course the real answer is someone could make a phone and content ecosystem so much better than the iPhone that Apple loses its leverage.
    02-11-12 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD