I could not get applecare+ yesterday via VZW, my particular Corp Store didn't have the "kit" yet. (Not sure what the kit is.) But the Mgr said I could call Apple directly, it would be ok, because VZW has the agreement with Apple in their system.

I can't get through to Apple. No tech's available. Normally don't buy extended insurance but in certain cases I do, and this is one. (Beats what VZW offered, both in price and deductible.)

From Apple website:

How to get AppleCare+
    AppleCare+ must be purchased together with your new iPhone. To buy it, add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.

Note: Through November 14, AppleCare+ can be purchased by customers who:

Pre-ordered iPhone 4 (8GB) or iPhone 4S
    Purchased an iPhone (any model) on or after October 14, 2011 (proof of purchase date may be required)

Contact us at 1-800-275-2273 to purchase AppleCare+.
    Based on that I qualify to purchase through Nov 14th, since I purchased it in VZW store 10/14 launch. I'm kind of edgy something that falls under "accidental" could happen in the meantime, before I can reach Apple. Like me dropping it & screen cracking or something. (Which happened to a good friend with a Droid 3rd day she owned it.) Doubt theft would be an issue, if my phone isn't in my hand it's in my purse. I have no experience dealing with Apple whatsoever. Would you be concerned? Do you purchase Apple Care?
    10-15-11 02:27 PM
    Understand what Apple care covers and doesn't. I use the VZW Insurance you are covered for a year under warranty regardless.

I have apple care on my expensive items like my MBP and Macbook
    10-15-11 05:07 PM
    I guess I need to check further on both. The VZW rep told me it was $192 (yes, not a typo, 192) per incident. Can't remember the monthly rate he quoted but it was higher than what I've paid for the Bold.
    10-15-11 07:50 PM
    Replacement is $170 through apple care and $100 or $120 through Verizon I believe.
    10-15-11 07:59 PM
    $49 through AppleCare+. That's odd; I know you're supposed to have bought it with your iPhone 4S, but AT&T let me get it when I already had it (although I pre-ordered so it's different). I was told to call AppleCare, not Apple, and they will figure it out.
    10-15-11 08:04 PM
    The Apple Store in my area is super friendly and offers great customer service, regardless of AppleCare. I had many friends get their phones replaced for free and they did not have AppleCare.
    10-16-11 07:02 PM
    Since i have Apple care with my Macbook Pro, Mac Pro, MAcbook Air
    and i don't have it on my current iphone 4 and ipad 2

Let's clarify some things.

you can buy apple care up to the last day of your warranty, meaning if you bought the phone today, and activated it today, you have 364 more days to buy apple care.

if something happens to your phone right now, except liquid damage, and cracked/broken screen after it fell on your pocket, the standard apple warranty applies. So just go to a genius bar in any apple store and they will diagnose and repair your phone.
    just to be clear, even with APPLE care, theft, damages caused by customer that's not a part of a normal wear and tear ( like falling inside a toilet bowl, getting run by a car) etc ARE NOT covered.
    10-16-11 07:08 PM
    Since i have Apple care with my Macbook Pro, Mac Pro, MAcbook Air
    and i don't have it on my current iphone 4 and ipad 2

Let's clarify some things.

you can buy apple care up to the last day of your warranty, meaning if you bought the phone today, and activated it today, you have 364 more days to buy apple care.

if something happens to your phone right now, except liquid damage, and cracked/broken screen after it fell on your pocket, the standard apple warranty applies. So just go to a genius bar in any apple store and they will diagnose and repair your phone.
    just to be clear, even with APPLE care, theft, damages caused by customer that's not a part of a normal wear and tear ( like falling inside a toilet bowl, getting run by a car) etc ARE NOT covered.
    AppleCare+ is just now being introduced alongside the iPhone 4S and has different regulations; it generally must be purchased with the new iPhone 4S as it not only covers what typical AppleCare does, it also covers accidental damage like dropping your phone and cracking the screen.

The Apple Store in my area is super friendly and offers great customer service, regardless of AppleCare. I had many friends get their phones replaced for free and they did not have AppleCare.
    You get a one year warranty no matter what with the purchase of a new Apple device, AppleCare just extends that coverage. That's probably why your friends were covered.
    10-16-11 07:35 PM
    That freebie replacement stuff is almost certainly going to change, and is probably what prompted this change to AppleCare. It's unrealistic to maintain and from what i gather was informal policy. I suspect Apple will have to smooth some ruffled feathers in the near term.
    10-16-11 07:57 PM
    Replacement is $170 through apple care and $100 or $120 through Verizon I believe.
    Replacement using Verizon insurance is $199 for the iPhone 4s (32gb). That is with the Asurion insurance. At least, that is what the rep told me.
    10-17-11 05:29 PM
    Replacement using Verizon insurance is $199 for the iPhone 4s (32gb). That is with the Asurion insurance. At least, that is what the rep told me.
    That's what I was told too for 32GB. Well, $192, but still, that's a hefty 'insured' price tag on top the higher monthly premium. It's basically buying the phone over again at the contract renewal price, which beats full retail, but I tuned him out when he started rattling off numbers. He really wanted me to get VZW's coverage, but based on what I had read of AC+ beforehand, it's a much better deal and does cover accidental damage.
    10-17-11 05:55 PM
    Applecare+ is new.
    Right now they have a 30 day grace period for the iPhone 4s and such because it was not really pushed.

iPhone - AppleCare+ - Apple Store (U.S.)

$49 per incident (2 max) for accidental drop/damage. This includes water.
    No theft but it is much better than the Asurion coverage at 1/2 the price.
    10-17-11 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD