I have the Storm 1 and our cntract is up April 5 next week. And I want to jump ship and get the the I phone but he doesn't see what's wrong with the phones I have now ( FYI he isn't big into electronics) and doesn't realize the differance. So what should I do to convince him? Or should I just upgrade to droid for only 100 dollars since we have the new every 2 discount. Thank you.
    03-29-10 06:38 AM
    Step up and get your own contract, if not then I guess you get what he decides.
    03-29-10 06:43 AM
    Step up and get your own contract, if not then I guess you get what he decides.
    Well I'm also an 18 year old highschool student with no job so him paying my bill is great
    03-29-10 06:57 AM
    I think you should make a stop at the apple store with your dad and let him play with the device. I believe overall the iphone is a superior phone and he'll see the difference (at the very least the iphone looks and feels better).
    Once he convinces himself that there's a difference he'll be more receptive on the idea of getting an iphone for you.
    03-29-10 07:40 AM
    so him paying my bill is great
    I'm sure it is, but maybe it's time to cut the cord and put on the big boy pants.
    03-29-10 08:24 AM
    I have the Storm 1 and our cntract is up April 5 next week. And I want to jump ship and get the the I phone but he doesn't see what's wrong with the phones I have now ( FYI he isn't big into electronics) and doesn't realize the differance. So what should I do to convince him? Or should I just upgrade to droid for only 100 dollars since we have the new every 2 discount. Thank you.
    Well I'm also an 18 year old highschool student with no job so him paying my bill is great
    Grow up and get your own plan. Then you can get whatever you want.
    03-29-10 09:43 AM
    Take him to the Apple store and have someone do a demo for him. I've found that the best way to get someone to like the iPhone is to actually have them use one. Either that or an iPod touch. Once they show him all the things it can do you may walk out of there with 2 iphones .
    03-29-10 11:18 AM
    I am going to have to disagree with most of the comments in this thread. You are an 18 year old high school student. Dont sign a contract for anything! The next few years of your life to say the very least are unpredictable. You dont want to be another one of the millions of 18 year olds that signed a 2 year agreement when you dont even have a job. I honestly dont see the need at 18 for either an iphone or a blackberry but if you really want one then buy your own and unlock it to use a prepaid sim or no contract plan from T-Mobile. You have to remember your not just asking dad to switch phones by going to the iphone, you are asking him to jump ship on his provider as well. You could try taking him into the apple store and showing him what the iphone can do but like you said he is not real tech savvy so he probably isnt going to care what the iphone can do. If you are going to try and sell him on the idea then you will need to find a better priced plan with AT&T and prove to him the coverage is comparable in your area. Im assuming he is on this plan with his cell phone as well so you will also need to show him a comparable phone on AT&T's network to what he currently has. If after all that he still says no then get the droid and move on. Good luck!
    03-29-10 11:45 AM
    I am going to have to disagree with most of the comments in this thread. You are an 18 year old high school student. Dont sign a contract for anything! The next few years of your life to say the very least are unpredictable. You dont want to be another one of the millions of 18 year olds that signed a 2 year agreement when you dont even have a job. I honestly dont see the need at 18 for either an iphone or a blackberry but if you really want one then buy your own and unlock it to use a prepaid sim or no contract plan from T-Mobile. You have to remember your not just asking dad to switch phones by going to the iphone, you are asking him to jump ship on his provider as well. You could try taking him into the apple store and showing him what the iphone can do but like you said he is not real tech savvy so he probably isnt going to care what the iphone can do. If you are going to try and sell him on the idea then you will need to find a better priced plan with AT&T and prove to him the coverage is comparable in your area. Im assuming he is on this plan with his cell phone as well so you will also need to show him a comparable phone on AT&T's network to what he currently has. If after all that he still says no then get the droid and move on. Good luck!

Hmmmm interesting that a phone that's supposed to be a "toy" can't be for an 18 year old. I'm guessing they may not use it for business purposes but that doesn't mean they can't find it useful. I'm not saying that they should get one but with the way smartphones are today, anyone of any age could use them. But I digress.
    03-29-10 12:27 PM
    And while you're in Apple make sure that you tell him that some college courses are requiring iPhones for some courses (which happens to be true) and more may be following suit, i know it's what I'd say once i was in Apple to use as a selling point lol
    03-29-10 12:36 PM
    I say get your own plan and your own phone like I did when I was 18 back in 1997. Sure, my 60 minute a month plan sucked, and my bill was close to 200 bucks a month because of overages, but I did it! Back then if you used 60 minutes of night and weekend minutes, it took away all your peak minutes. So I basically had to pay for every daytime call at 70 cents a minute. And there was no mobile to mobile! Ahh, the good old analog cell phone days...

Anyway, with the plans they have now, you'll never go over your minutes like I did. Just go for it, there must be some kind of a job you can do to make the 90-100 bucks a month needed for an iPhone bill. It will be very rewarding for you to work and earn your iPhone, you'll value it so much more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-10 12:53 PM
    This is exactly why the iPhone needs to be on Verizon LOL.

(Please no more threads on when VZW will get it)
    03-29-10 01:17 PM
    Hmmmm interesting that a phone that's supposed to be a "toy" can't be for an 18 year old. I'm guessing they may not use it for business purposes but that doesn't mean they can't find it useful. I'm not saying that they should get one but with the way smartphones are today, anyone of any age could use them. But I digress.
    Well times they are a changing. LOL I'm just glad my kids are not old enough yet to ask me for an iphone. Truth be told an 18 year old can probably operate my iphone better than I can. I'm sure he could find the iphone useful in the same manner as any other smartphone and IMO no smartphone on the market today is just a "toy". For instance the storm he is already carrying may be a failure on many counts but it is still not a "toy". I'm still going to have to stand my ground on advising him not to get his own contract because he wants an iphone over a droid, seriously? I am a real estate agent and in dealing with buyers on a daily basis the #1 collection on 90% of first time buyers reports are cell phone companies that they signed a 2 year contract with when they turned 18 or credit cards that aggressively target college students. I ate ramen noodles the first 2 years of college and payed for a cell phone but only because nobody else was willing to pay it for me. This guy has an option to not have to worry about any of that if he just sticks with dads plan. There are plenty of contracts in this world he is going to find out about soon enough. Marriage, divorce, car loan, student loans, and a mortgage so suck the tit as long as they are willing to help you. Its not like we are debating a cricket flip phone versus an iphone. If dad says droid then take the droid. They are both capable phones.
    03-29-10 01:48 PM
    Just get a job.. Like honestly..

I'm 20, I've had 5 different blackberries (and now an iPhone) - with job comes money, so boo ya. lol.
    03-29-10 02:54 PM
    Well times they are a changing. LOL I'm just glad my kids are not old enough yet to ask me for an iphone. Truth be told an 18 year old can probably operate my iphone better than I can. I'm sure he could find the iphone useful in the same manner as any other smartphone and IMO no smartphone on the market today is just a "toy". For instance the storm he is already carrying may be a failure on many counts but it is still not a "toy". I'm still going to have to stand my ground on advising him not to get his own contract because he wants an iphone over a droid, seriously? I am a real estate agent and in dealing with buyers on a daily basis the #1 collection on 90% of first time buyers reports are cell phone companies that they signed a 2 year contract with when they turned 18 or credit cards that aggressively target college students. I ate ramen noodles the first 2 years of college and payed for a cell phone but only because nobody else was willing to pay it for me. This guy has an option to not have to worry about any of that if he just sticks with dads plan. There are plenty of contracts in this world he is going to find out about soon enough. Marriage, divorce, car loan, student loans, and a mortgage so suck the tit as long as they are willing to help you. Its not like we are debating a cricket flip phone versus an iphone. If dad says droid then take the droid. They are both capable phones.

Man I remember when my 16 year old brother told me he wanted a blackberry for christmas. All I could think was "what the **** are you gonna do with a blackberry". LOL. It's crazy because younger people are more interested now than ever in these devices. They are realizing that it's not just for "grown folks" or business people. I asked him and his reasoning, "I can be on facebook, check my email, twitter, play games, stay in communication with my friends and try to help organize some of the things I need to do for school". I was like "man, maybe he could use a blackberry". LOL It's crazy though but more and more people, old and young are using these smartphones.

P.S. I didn't get him the blackberry because I pay the phone bill. No extra 30 dollar data charge for me!
    03-29-10 04:17 PM
    your 18.. grow up.. your a legal adult now, get a job.. stop having daddy pay for everything for you like your 10 years old... time to grow up buddy and take responsibility.
    03-29-10 04:22 PM
    beggars can't be choosers good luck with that Storm.

back in high school I rocked a kyocera cell phone about the size of a stapler (they hadn't come out with flip phones yet except for the Startac which you've probably never heard of). It had a one-color dot matrix display and I'm pretty sure it couldn't receive text messages, or maybe I never sent any. and I was pretty lucky to get it too.
    Last edited by mdude85; 03-30-10 at 05:04 PM.
    03-30-10 04:54 PM
    Honestly, as a student, if my parents still wanted to pay my phone bill id be really happy. As a student its not that easy to just "get a job", depending on what program your in. I have so many classes i barely have time to sit and relax. Im in a coop program and i do make enough money during workterms to pay for school and my phone bill and have a car etc, but i know my friends who are in other programs working double shifts to pay for textbooks and food cant really afford extra money to pay for a phone plan.

On a different note, students probably use smartphones as much if not more then business users. Im constantly on my iPhone checking class emails and schedules, checking job interviews, tuition status, enrolling in classes, and messaging friends and study groups. I dunno about other schools but at University of Waterloo a lot of school related stuff is dealt with online or through email. I work in a Engineering consulting firm also and most of the people there didnt even know they had a browser or gps.

I also don't understand why people complain about smartphone plans, i switched from a regular to a smartphone plan after being with Rogers for 2 months, and they offered me a smartphone at contract price, and my plan went up 10$ (i now pay 65/month after tax) for the data and they doubled my mins. Most of my friends with iPhones and blackberries also pay a few bucks more now then they did with regular phones but nothing big. I have no idea what the plans are like in the US or anywhere else but supposedly canada has one of the highest rates in the world, but i dont find them too bad

and about your dad, take him to an apple store and let him try out the browser and email and i dont see any reason why he wouldnt like it
    Last edited by seahwhat; 03-31-10 at 11:49 AM.
    03-31-10 11:46 AM
    beggars can't be choosers good luck with that Storm.

back in high school I rocked a kyocera cell phone about the size of a stapler (they hadn't come out with flip phones yet except for the Startac which you've probably never heard of). It had a one-color dot matrix display and I'm pretty sure it couldn't receive text messages, or maybe I never sent any. and I was pretty lucky to get it too.
    Man thats pretty 'ol skool! I rocked it out with an IBM Simon, when I was an EMT. It was all touch screen. Email, fax, and a memo pad.
    03-31-10 03:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD