I just got an older iPhone 2g running 3.0 software. I unlocked it to run on T-Mobile. Previously I had a BB 8220 flip. My data plan with T Mobile is the BlackBerry Unlimited data plan for $24.99.

I put the SIM from the BB into the iPhone and it is seeing the Edge network and calls are working fine, but anytime I try to access the internet I get the message:

"could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service"

If I put my SIM back in the BB, I can jump right on the internet with no problems.

I've tried the following APN's on the iPhone:

epc.tmobile.com
    internet2.voicestream.com
    internet3.voicestream.com
    wap.voicestream.com
    hiptop.t-mobile.com

all with blank username and passwords. None of them work.

Anyone have any ideas why I can't access the data network? I've read at least one thread on some random forum that seemed to indicate that BB SIMs sometimes are provisioned to only work with BlackBerry's, but I've also read numerous threads on various forums saying the BB SIMs and unlimited data plan work fine on iPhones.

Do I need to get a different data plan through T-mobile?
    07-02-09 04:11 AM
    hey, i have the same exact stuff you do, 2g, bb data plan, and mine has always worked fine...

not sure why yours will not...
    07-02-09 05:35 AM
    Try this

These are the settings that T-Mobile had me enter to get Internet and MMS working on an iphone 3G.

under >settings>general>network>cellular Data Settings

cellular data
    APN - internet2.voicestream.com

MMS
    APN - wap.voicestream.com
    MMSC - http://216.155.174.84/servlet/mmsy might be mms at end instead of mmsy
    MMS Proxy - 216.155.165.50:8080

All other entries were left blank.

If you have a problem call T-Mobile, they were very helpful.
    07-02-09 01:52 PM
    I was a little hesitant to make T Mobile aware that I was using an iPhone, but based on mpafr012's reply I decided to go to the local store and they were very cool about it.

They said I needed to switch away from the BB data plan. I'm now on the smartphone plan and everything is working now.

Thanks for the help!
    07-02-09 06:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD