Does anyone know how or if this can be done?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-11 12:25 PM
    No, but you can always stash your unwanted apps in a folder. Also the iPhone is not pre loaded with a buch of carrier crap icons like some BB's are so there are very few native apps to begin with.
    01-07-11 12:31 PM
    I guess though if I have a niece or nephew playing with my phone I don't want them reading my texts and stuff-is there any way to prevent a situation like that?

01-07-11 12:53 PM
    I know if it's jb'n there is an app you can get that will hide icons, but not sure if it'll hide the stock sms icon...
    01-07-11 01:13 PM
    I guess though if I have a niece or nephew playing with my phone I don't want them reading my texts and stuff-is there any way to prevent a situation like that?

Not that I know of.
    01-07-11 01:28 PM

On Jailbroken iDevices, there's an app called Locktopus that will password protect individual apps. There's also another app, whose name I've forgotten, that will hide apps until you perform an action or insert a password.
    01-07-11 01:36 PM
    If you're jailbroken, you can hide any app with SBSettings. You can also password protect apps with Lockdown. I use both, and they work great.
    01-07-11 02:02 PM
    Ugh...sorry. I've been operating with a blackberry too long...can someone explain 'jailbroken' to me?
    01-08-11 05:01 PM
    Ugh...sorry. I've been operating with a blackberry too long...can someone explain 'jailbroken' to me?
    Just go to modmyi.com and all of your questions will be answered.
    01-08-11 08:59 PM
    I am also an iPhone developer and Apple has imposed a lot of limitation on developers. Even though BB is behind iPhone but BB is a wild west that developers love.

No, Steve Job does not give us the api to hide an app icon. I have been struggle with this issue.
    01-12-11 08:49 PM
    Interesting. So if you are an iphone developer, can you tell me if I should get iphone 4 next month on VZW or if I should hang in there until June for iphone 5 (if there will be one for VZW...)

01-13-11 12:25 PM
    The iPhone 5 for VZW probably won't come out until 2012.
    01-13-11 12:29 PM
    I can't stop laughing about this post. If the bb apps are so great to develop, then why aren't there many of them? Its because they are all crap and the blackberry can't do squat compared to the Iphone apps.

I am also an iPhone developer and Apple has imposed a lot of limitation on developers. Even though BB is behind iPhone but BB is a wild west that developers love.

No, Steve Job does not give us the api to hide an app icon. I have been struggle with this issue.
    01-16-11 07:19 AM
    I can't stop laughing about this post. If the bb apps are so great to develop, then why aren't there many of them? Its because they are all crap and the blackberry can't do squat compared to the Iphone apps.
    I have to comment on this post - now keep in mind I am not a BB developer. I have been a BB user for years, have switched over to android and then back to BB. The reason (I believe) BB doesn't develop all of these apps like you are suggesting is because BB isn't targeting and doesn't care to target all of these games and apps that simply to be blunt -don't matter. Let's be honest, how many of us download the Borat soundboard and play with it 2-3 times and then realize it is crowding up space on our phone? Why should BB waste its time and resources developing apps like that?

That is my take on it anyway, for what it is worth.

P.S. - I do think I will be in line at Verizon on 2.10.11 to pick up the iPhone because every time I have used one of my colleagues I have been impressed. My issues with my incredible was the lack of a physical keyboard and battery life. The iPhone's keyboard seemed to be better when I used it than the incredible but I will see for myself. Who knows. I may be back to BB. Only time will tell...
    Last edited by smithrep; 01-21-11 at 10:12 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
    01-21-11 10:09 AM
    I have to comment on this post - now keep in mind I am not a BB developer. I have been a BB user for years, have switched over to android and then back to BB. The reason (I believe) BB doesn't develop all of these apps like you are suggesting is because BB isn't targeting and doesn't care to target all of these games and apps that simply to be blunt -don't matter. Let's be honest, how many of us download the Borat soundboard and play with it 2-3 times and then realize it is crowding up space on our phone? Why should BB waste its time and resources developing apps like that?
    No. The reason there aren't many apps for the BBs is simply because the BB doesn't have a lot memory space on it. They can only develop tiny apps, that doesn't take up a lot of space, and that limits the developers. Some of my apps on my iphone is around 40 megabytes others could be even larger (GPS navigation, browsers, games, editing programs) You download a few apps to your BB and your phone is full. Iphones use their internal memory (from 16 to 32 gigabytes) to store all the apps beside the music, pictures etc. So basically you have plenty of gigs to share and there is no need to be worried about running out of space for having "too much apps" on the phone.

So you can have the biggest flash card in your phone you can buy for your music and pictures, your apps are still stored in the internal memory (512MBs for Torch) , unlike the Iphone4, which shares the 16 or 32 gigs the way you want it.
    Last edited by Shodan775; 01-21-11 at 10:49 AM.
    01-21-11 10:47 AM
    If you jailbreak you can use poof which can be downloaded by itself or used within sb settings
    01-26-11 06:38 PM
    Like others have said, you can move icons to various folders. And, of course you can use the 'universal search' option to find things quickly...
    01-28-11 11:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD