A family member of mine is selling me a iPhone 3GS for a low price but I'd have to unlock it from AT&T myself. I was wondering is there a way to unlock it without jailbreaking? Some type of a IMEI/remote unlock?

I really don't want to jail break it because since the os 4.0 is coming out I'll be updating and I like to stay legit os.
    05-26-10 04:46 PM
    Quik and simple, NO. If the phone has baseband 05.12.01 then u can't unlock even with a JB. No unlock is avail for that baseband.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-10 05:38 PM
    You have to jailbreak for the unlock. What firmware version is the iPhone on? If it's on 3.1.3, then you're going to have to wait until 4.0 is released, then wait even longer for a jailbreak and unlock.

05-26-10 05:43 PM
    Hm I'll find out what os it's on. When I'm in jailbreak, how does that work? I heard all apps are free. Is it true that if you sync the phone with itunes everything will be locked again? And that you must have itunes at a certain version? Then how does the music/video transfer work?
    05-26-10 06:22 PM
    Not all apps are free. In Cydia alot are, but there are also quite a few that need to be purchased. I think people are under the impression once they jailbreak, they can go to the app store and go nuts for free, that just isn't the case.
    05-26-10 06:30 PM
    Not all apps are free. In Cydia alot are, but there are also quite a few that need to be purchased. I think people are under the impression once they jailbreak, they can go to the app store and go nuts for free, that just isn't the case.
    Well if people want to be scumbags they can get every app for free. There is a huge selection of pirated AppStore apps you can download with the use of a specific app that I will not mention. I haven't had my iPhone for a few months now so I don't know if it is still available, but they can get most for free.

P.S- I never used the App, but I know others who have.
    05-26-10 07:27 PM
    I heard all apps are free.
    Yes, just like Napster made all MP3s free...
    05-26-10 07:28 PM
    Hm the phone does run on 3.1.3, I googled unlocked and a lot of sites came up for 3.1.3 unlock, do you guys know the most trustable one?
    05-26-10 10:59 PM
    None of them are trustworthy because they're all fake. Wait for 4.0.

05-26-10 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD