I currently have a Bold with a data plan but want to get an iPhone (not the new one because I dont have $600 to buy it outright, but a used one from ebay). Is it possible to interchange these phones so I can use the Bold during the week and the iPhone on weekends without having to call AT&T to let them know? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    06-09-09 09:06 AM
    I just created basically the exact same thread. And it seems so far the answer is yes. I can't get you a link because I'm on the wapforum but search the forum for the title "Let's swap some SIM."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-09 09:30 AM
    Thank you so much.
    06-09-09 09:46 AM
    The answer is yes. But you need to have a Blackberry data plan to be able to use the Internet functions on the iPhone. If you have the iPhone data plan, you will not be able to use data on the Blackberry. Keep in mind doing this, you will lose visual voicemail for the iPhone.
    06-10-09 12:46 PM
    Except that AT&T will not sell you an iPhone without the iPhone data plan. If they see an iPhone being used on an account, they automatically provision and charge for the iPhone plan.

When you take the SIM out of an iPhone and putting it in a BlackBerry, the BB displays a SIM error.

My son had a Pearl and wanted an iPhone. At the store they told us that he could use his old phone as a backup, or when he goes camping, but this was not the case. The Pearl would no longer work with the SIM, so he had to use his old Sync instead.
    06-11-09 02:13 PM
    The answer is yes. But you need to have a Blackberry data plan to be able to use the Internet functions on the iPhone. If you have the iPhone data plan, you will not be able to use data on the Blackberry. Keep in mind doing this, you will lose visual voicemail for the iPhone.
    Precisely. As long as you don't stay on the iPhone for too long, you'll be fine. (If you do stay for too long, AT&T will fuss at you, and in some cases, they will switch your data plan to the iPhone plan and bill you for it accordingly.) And yes, everything will work except Visual Voicemail, which is something I and most likely you can live without.
    06-11-09 02:34 PM
    Except that AT&T will not sell you an iPhone without the iPhone data plan. If they see an iPhone being used on an account, they automatically provision and charge for the iPhone plan.

When you take the SIM out of an iPhone and putting it in a BlackBerry, the BB displays a SIM error.

My son had a Pearl and wanted an iPhone. At the store they told us that he could use his old phone as a backup, or when he goes camping, but this was not the case. The Pearl would no longer work with the SIM, so he had to use his old Sync instead.
    The OP wasn't planning on buying the iPhone from AT&T but you are correct as far as having to have the data plan when purchasing it from them or apple. But you can have the blackberry data plan and use the iPhone. I've been switching between my iPhone and blackberry since august and have had no problems. At my local AT&T store they didn't even know you can do that. And they told me I couldn't and I told them I could. So to prove it to them, I came back to the store, had them pull up my account with the Blackberry data plan and the guy was "ok, now what".... I was like " Well I'm using my iPhone now, but you don't see iPhone data on my plan, do you?" He was like "How'd you do that". I told him and he said "I'm going to try that for myself!".

Precisely. As long as you don't stay on the iPhone for too long, you'll be fine. (If you do stay for too long, AT&T will fuss at you, and in some cases, they will switch your data plan to the iPhone plan and bill you for it accordingly.) And yes, everything will work except Visual Voicemail, which is something I and most likely you can live without.
    I've been doing it for almost a year and haven't had a problem at all. The data plans are 30 for both so it's not like you're using a cheaper data plan to use on a device that requires a more pricey. The blackberry data plan is different so you can access BIS, but that has nothing to do with the cost between you getting on the Internet on the iPhone and getting on the Internet on a Bold. The difference is the BIS part. So when you say they will "bill you accordingly"..... all they can do is change your plan because the cost for data on both is the same.
    06-11-09 03:35 PM
    That's good to know. I plan on using a Bold and an iPhone 3GS. I'm glad the Blackberry data plan should work on both.
    06-12-09 01:56 PM
    Ive been using an iphone for 1 day on the blackberry plan and they just fussed at me....email and txt....I'm ok right???
    06-12-09 06:10 PM
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help
    06-12-09 08:13 PM
    What Ive decided to do is just get rid of my Bold and get the new iphone when it comes out. Im not eligible for an upgrade but my husband is so will order it under his upgrade and just switch it for my line.
    06-12-09 08:14 PM
    Ive been using an iphone for 1 day on the blackberry plan and they just fussed at me....email and txt....I'm ok right???

Did they call you up to complain or how did they fuss?
    06-13-09 12:54 PM
    Did they call you up to complain or how did they fuss?
    text and email....
    06-13-09 12:58 PM
    text and email....
    That sucks. Normally I wouldn't mind but I am enjoying my 6gb grandfathered plan and would hate to lose it :/
    06-13-09 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD