I have to ask this while I'm thinking about it. Earlier tonight I used our iPhone 3G to make a phone call and, as usual, I was disgusted with it, which is why I try to avoid using it. The problem is that even with the volume turned all the way up, the earpiece speaker is very quiet. I realize I probably don't have the best hearing in the world, but it's not THAT bad. It seriously is almost like the person on the other end is whispering. I could barely even hear the ringing sound before the other person picked up. In contrast, if I turn my BB Storm all the way up it's so loud it's like the person on the other end is yelling. DOn't even need to hold the phone up to my ear, or anywhere near it for that matter. It's the same thing going the other way...whoever is talking into the 3G is hard to hear for whoever is on the other end of the call. If I get a voicemail from my other half, I can barely hear that either, but voicemails from others are fine.

Anyhow, I did a google search on this issue, and it seems it was a common thing with the older iPhones. So, my question is, since I plan to replace the 3G with a 4 or whatever the VZW version ends up being, did Apple finally turn up the sound? Or do I need to start wearing hearing aides?
    11-06-10 03:29 AM
    I have not had a single problem with the iPhone4 call volume, through handset, speaker, earphones or Bluetooth.
    11-06-10 08:19 AM
    I appreciate it! I kinda figured if there was I would have heard about it by now.
    11-07-10 03:46 AM
    iPhone uses default GSM/3G codecs without any gain. 3G codecs are higher fidelity, but lower volume than 2G codecs. If you drop your phone to 2G, the volume should be significantly louder. A simple option is to use a jailbreak app to drop to 2G on phone calls and go back to 3G when using the data.
    11-08-10 01:27 PM
    The volume (at its highest) on my 3GS was pretty low. I am really, really pleased
    with the volume on the 4 to tell you the truth. I kinda used to b*tch and moan about
    it while using the 3GS. Once I started using the 4, it was noticeable to me right away.
    11-08-10 01:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD