So, im not gonna be like the rest of the ******'s out there... Im just gonna say, its so far from different then a blackberry, that you cant even compare the two...

I bought myself a 16GB 3GS Iphone from a friend of a friend for 225 bucks. I figured, its a damn good deal i cant pass up for a "holy **** phone". So, in other words, my BB breaks, i got a quick replacement i can use nice and quick.

The Iphone is definitely more user friendly, but not sound friendly. You cant change your SMS ringtones without putting too much effort into it. Blackberry - Copy & change, nice and simple!

Email... This is one thing they REALLY need to fix. Yeah, it comes up nice, but typing out a complete email with a touchphone is just ********. The amount of errors you can do in a single sentence is unreal. Blackberry - Type it and send.

Wireless - Connects quick, just as good as the BB (no WIRELESS CONNECTED icon though, like on our 9700's)

Overall, the phones should get an overall rating the same. for 225 i cant go wrong for a backup phone. I will say though, the Iphone is far better for media (video's & music).

Cant wait to see BB's retaliation to the Iphone 5 that's apparently coming out in January.
    10-24-10 09:21 PM
    I too just recently picked one up, the white 32gb 3GS, from a friend, except a much friendlier one, got mine for $50 and it's pristine. Anyway, it's got the smoothest touch screen operation I've ever experienced, far superior to any Android I've handled for sure. As for other comparisons, I don't bother because they're not meant to be the same. Not a single phone I've ever had satisfied my desires like the old Motorola Razr V3, though my Behold II was the closest, man do I wish that thing had the hardware stats my Vibrant does... that would've been the perfect phone.
    10-24-10 09:32 PM
    In a nutshell, what you said, is that Apple should stick to their MP3 players, because their phones are good at playing music, but suck at phone call sound quality, and suck at typing out emails, and suck at typing out SMS?

I'm not an apple basher, but what you said is true. And it leads to the fact that their phones are great (for doing random **** on the internet or playing music), but the features that a phone SHOULD have just aren't there.
    10-24-10 09:35 PM
    The problem with your statement, Alkajak, is that what a phone SHOULD have is subjective. I have no need whatsoever for email, but have a huge desire for music capabilities, and while I do love the speaker and music player on my 9700, my Android offers things that the BB simply can't compete with. Internet use is a major part of what makes a "smartphone", so to dismiss it as a large point of pro for the iPhone is simply incorrect.
    10-24-10 09:41 PM
    But other than buying a smartphone to look pretentious, isn't the point of owning one, to do such things like check your emails, etc? I'll admit, yes, I'm pretty jealous of the safari browser, and BB will never come close. But if you want to throw Android in the mix, no contest. I've wanted to switch to Android for a while, but I'd have to renew my plan.

As for the music capabilities, almost all phones can play MP3s with ease, and an MP3 player is much cheaper than buying an iPhone, especially at the price it's still going for.
    10-24-10 09:44 PM
    In a nutshell, what you said, is that Apple should stick to their MP3 players, because their phones are good at playing music, but suck at phone call sound quality, and suck at typing out emails, and suck at typing out SMS?

I'm not an apple basher, but what you said is true. And it leads to the fact that their phones are great (for doing random **** on the internet or playing music), but the features that a phone SHOULD have just aren't there.
    Dead on about the internet part as well. The websurfing and Safari that comes with it is simply amazing. When on a WIFI connection, its REALLY quick. As much as id like to say "stick to MP3 players" I think overall if they improved all the above, i think they would stand much better on the market.
    10-24-10 09:48 PM
    But other than buying a smartphone to look pretentious, isn't the point of owning one, to do such things like check your emails, etc? I'll admit, yes, I'm pretty jealous of the safari browser, and BB will never come close. But if you want to throw Android in the mix, no contest. I've wanted to switch to Android for a while, but I'd have to renew my plan.

As for the music capabilities, almost all phones can play MP3s with ease, and an MP3 player is much cheaper than buying an iPhone, especially at the price it's still going for.
    Heck, I've got iPods galore laying around the house that I never use, because having a decent MP3 player on your phone isn't about status or pretentiousness, it's about conservation of carry. By that I mean having to pack around fewer devices to accomplish all the things you desire (your one stop shopping, as an analogy). No, owning a smartphone is about different things for different people, but the general and original point of them was to have mobile internet capabilities. To be able to stop and search for the nearest Jamaican restaurant on a whim, or find a number to make reservations while on your way to the beach, or to check on the status of your flight without having to call in to the airline and go through the plethora of unintelligible automated systems, or..., or..., or... It's not a status symbol to anyone older than 25, it's a simple factor of convenience.
    10-24-10 09:58 PM
    Send me an iPod? Lmfao.
    10-24-10 10:06 PM
    All iphones are glorified ipod touch with phone function.
    And the best way to address that is get the latest ipod touch, the one with retina display, facetime without antenna problems and a reliable phone.
    I understand the need to carry just one device, but I'd rather carry 3 different devices that gets the job done individually like a Real point and shoot camera for picture, an ipod for music and web browsing and a phone that can maintain a signal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-10 10:11 PM
    It's not a status symbol to anyone older than 25, it's a simple factor of convenience.
    This.

This is why i got into smartphones. Everything at my fingertips. Although the Iphone and BB are 2 completely different platforms, i believe in convenience with the least amount of effort. If i can get my emails at my fingertips when i'm waiting anxiously for something, then its far more convenient for me then waiting at my computer. Im always on the go, so if something makes my life easier, then im bound to shell out the money for it.

Technology has us screwed to the billboard these days, and i dont mind it.
    10-24-10 10:14 PM
    ^ you can't go wrong with the apps.. like mobile banking, weather app, sports app etc they just make your life a little easier
    10-24-10 10:26 PM
    Send me an iPod? Lmfao.
    I don't get rid of anything, am getting the new Nano touch next week, can't wait. Otherwise I'd happily send you one. I just like to switch between all my electronics.
    10-24-10 10:41 PM
    Wow a bunch of BB fanbois bashing the iphone, shocker

OP sounds like your main gripe is a touchscreen and not the device itself. Also SMS ringtones is merely software and 4.2 coming next month will fix all your issues on that.

The iphone does 98% of what a BB can do and other things a BB can't. Its a matter of choice, neither is "better" because that's subjective opinion and far from fact.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-25-10 at 12:03 AM.
    10-24-10 11:56 PM
    I am Apple's nightmare customer. I make dozens of phone calls a day, usually totalling 3 hours or more per day. I also hold the phone in my left and and I probably cover the black strip on a regular basis with my ring finger. I am also in a lot of fringe areas where my reception regularly drops to -113db or so, especially when I'm indoors. During my time with the i4, I have dropped about 4-5 calls. I can't be more satisfied with the i4's performance as a phone. Rumors about i4's poor performance as a phone is just that, rumor. I do have other issues with the iPhone, but performance in weak signal areas is not one of them.
    10-25-10 12:14 AM
    Of course, but its easier to whine and bash in an internet forum never have even owning the phone than actually hear the truth from people who use one daily

I guess Im Apple's nightmare customer too because I have zero issues with it and think its light years beyond any features or hardware BB offers, not even counting the super smooth and quick OS, a real web browser, and apps for anything you could want to do. It does 98% of what a BB can do and then some. The iphone is missing no core function as some haters who dont even own one try to suggest.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-25-10 at 12:24 AM.
    10-25-10 12:20 AM
    Of course, but its easier to whine and bash in an internet forum never have even owning the phone than actually hear the truth from people who use one daily

I guess Im Apple's nightmare customer too because I have zero issues with it and think its light years beyond any features or hardware BB offers, not even counting the super smooth and quick OS, a real web browser, and apps for anything you could want to do. It does 98% of what a BB can do and then some. The iphone is missing no core function as some haters who dont even own one try to suggest.
    The only thing it is missing, is to be able to u se your own music for ringers and sms/mms tones and better use of my alarm (like if I turn off my phone, the phone would auto turn on to use the alarm, I liked that on the BB). Push email is ok, but other than that, that is all I need.
    10-25-10 12:34 AM
    True, customization could be easier, but I cant say Ive ever wanted to hear music as any kind of ringer/alert. It annoys me every time I hear someone with it on their phone.

Im sure as iOS progresses itll get more customization options. It is only 3 years young after all.
    10-25-10 12:45 AM
    Wow a bunch of BB fanbois bashing the iphone, shocker

The iphone does 98% of what a BB can do and other things a BB can't. Its a matter of choice, neither is "better" because that's subjective opinion and far from fact.
    what's the name of this Forum again? Coz i get confused a lot since i also post at macrumors.com and a couple of other forums.

but i completely agree with your last statement..
    the next guy will definitely claim that his EVO is the Better phone.
    10-25-10 12:46 AM
    what's the name of this Forum again? Coz i get confused a lot since i also post at macrumors.com and a couple of other forums.

but i completely agree with your last statement..
    the next guy will definitely claim that his EVO is the Better phone.
    Last time I checked this WAS the iphone section. Every SmartphoneExperts site has subforums for other users, usually who came from the platform the site covers. It doesnt mean users have to be childish though.

All smartphones share core functions, its all preference past that. They can all do 95% or more of the same things, maybe in different ways is all. I give big credit to iOS and Android as they continue to just get better and better; at least they are putting more and more refinements in for their users for only being on the market under 3 years each.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-25-10 at 12:53 AM.
    10-25-10 12:49 AM
    ^ you're right with the sub section part ( the iphone sub forum) of a MOSTLY Blackberry forum... where majority of the members.. let's say > 75% have or used to have a blackberry.

so i wouldn't be surprised to see a blackberry bias..
    and when people post... even on the sub section like the iphone/android.. it will appear in the "latest blackberry post" .. top of the list.
    and most people tend to click that, compared to navigating to the different/ more specific subsections.

let me put in a different context... it's like throwing a BMW vs LEXUS question in a Lexus forum and getting tons of responses why Lexus is better than a BMW.

at the end of the day, it's just phones..
    and a lot of people get excited/agitated with comments that praise/criticize their devices.
    10-25-10 01:11 AM
    Give it time. It took me about 3 weeks to really get comfortable typing on the touch screen.
    10-26-10 07:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD