I'm sure the internet is loaded with these types of comparisons, but I thought I would share a brief synopsis of my experiences between the different phones.

Both are on AT&T.

I will review it from the standpoint of the Iphone, and compare and contrast it with the Bold 9000, rather than have two separate sections.

--------------------

The touch screen on the iphone is good, but sometimes I launch the wrong app, or touch something by accident that causes me to have to start over what I was in the middle of. I have medium to thin hands for a man, with always clipped nails, so I should be better off than those who have larger fingers.

Typing is not very enjoyable on the Iphone, but it's far better than a dumb phone that doesn't have qwerty capability.

Internet browsing is fast and enjoyable. Safari does work quite well. It does however use a lot of battery power (I will discuss the battery later). Browsing is substantially more enjoyable than on the Bold, be it the oem browser, bolt, or opera. Overall, it's a big plus for this phone.

The app base is good, though I've found that I use many of the same apps that are available for the Bold. The main difference is that they generally run smoother, faster, and are more user friendly on the Iphone. The downside is that they tend to eat more battery power.

The community base is moderately helpful at best. Often I find that I need to roam multiple sites to find answers to even basic questions, and there is a general lack of intelligible writing in many of the posts I find.

The lack of an LED, the reduced push capability (push is certainly not as good on the IPhone), and the feeling that I constantly need to unlock the phone and check to see if I missed a call/email/sms, makes it clearly lacking compared to the Bold in every way, when it applies to peace of mind in knowing your phone will quickly let you know recent transpirations.

The screen looks good, but text, while larger, isn't nearly as clear as the Bold. This is because of the fact that the Iphone resolution is similar, over a larger area. At the same time, the Bold is almost overkill for resolution for its screen size, so when it comes to viewing pictures, video, and such, the IPhone is far more pleasing to view (and share the viewing with others).

2g and 3g reception is definitely not as good on the IPhone. It's not terrible, but I found that the Bold was easily the best phone I've used when it applies to signal strength. On the other hand, recent tests show the Bold was rated at about the absolute worst end of the spectrum for radiation transmission, so if long term health considerations are taken into account, it could be a trade off for non-bluetooth users that frequently head-and-shoulder their calls.

The IPhone feels fragile, as did the Bold. I used the Otterbox defender on the Bold, and it was fantastic for protection. I was glad to see it's offered for the IPhone as well, and have ordered one for it. I think the comparisons of which is sturdier is moot, as they're both delicate, and need good protection if you want to ensure long term usability.

Ok, now the battery discussion that's so controversial. The IPhone battery is fine when it comes to standby, texting, and phone use. As long as it's mostly kept in standby and only used for basic communication functions, it's not bad in any way. When it comes to browsing, running apps, and the other multi-media things that people relate the IPhone with, it does drain quickly. Very quickly at times. Fortunately, there are inexpensive ($50) external batteries that USB interface, and can recharge it as many as 3 full times or more, and they can fit comfortably in a pocket. Being able to swap batteries, and reduced power consumption from apps, puts this in the Bolds favor, but an external battery makes it basically a moot argument.

Ok, Jailbreaking. I doubt I have to explain the basic concept, and it would take more time and knowledge than I have to explain everything that it allows. Day 2 of having an IPhone my "friend" already decided it was time to break it. A refurbished 3gs allowed the serial to fall below the recent cutoff, so it was a lucky break. Jailbreaking really improved the Iphone experience, and allowed for some of the major flaws to be overcome. No "Today Theme" type of capability without a jailbreak was painful, after being used to the Bold. No folders to organize things in, was also resolved by jailbreaking. All in all, I think the IPhone would really be a substantial step below the Bold, assuming jailbreaking wasn't possible.

Well, in summary, I really like the new IPhone. It's very good all around, it does need case protection just like any expensive smartphone, and it trades some real world phone/email capability (including the keyboard), and battery life, for better running apps, a far sleeker browser, no worries about memory being used up by installing apps, and for $60 more an extended manufacturers warranty that increases it to 2 years.

I would highly recommend a consideration of both phones to any prospective buyer, but suggest that they be considered for their strengths and weaknesses carefully. They're pretty much polar opposites. I would also suggest that businesses not lean towards the IPhone, but I would steer a casual user to it over the Bold.

--bb
    Last edited by bladebarrier; 12-05-09 at 01:09 PM. Reason: grammar
    12-05-09 12:45 PM
    The iPhone feels fragile.. now that is a joke in and of itself. I type so much faster on the iPhone than any other phone I've used.

How in the world do you possible hit the wrong app from the touchscreen. The springboard is very well displayed and I can say I have never accidentally hit the wrong app if that is what you mean.

I receive my push e-mail instantaneously. I have been right next to someone who has sent me an e-mail and ring it's right just... just as I would an IM sometimes even faster.

Not to go on but all and all the iPhone is not for everyone but I do use it for business which works excellent for me. The battery for my phone lasts all day with average use.

LED- no comment.. seriously.

The Bold has it's place.. as the iPhone is not for everyone.. I just need a phone without leaks and without an ancient OS as well as provide something more than just email and calls.

I believe the Bold is more for the bald CEO who could care less about anything more than email and calls and iPhone is for everyone else (thus the millions sold in such a short period of time for one phone).
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 12-05-09 at 01:07 PM.
    12-05-09 01:02 PM
    The iPhone feels fragile.. now that is a joke in and of itself. I type so much faster on the iPhone than any other phone I've used.
    I'm not sure I understand the relationship of those statements. I commented that both feel fragile, in as much as all smart phones these days seem fragile compared to the dumbphones of old that could take far more serious abuse (flip phones protecting the screen, less internal circuitry, etc.)

How in the world do you possible hit the wrong app from the touchscreen. The springboard is very well displayed and I can say I have never accidentally hit the wrong app if that is what you mean.
    Maybe I'm just a bit spastic. I used to click on the wrong app on my Bold sometimes, and that was while using a trackball....

I receive my push e-mail instantaneously. I have been right next to someone who has sent me an e-mail and ring it's right just... just as I would an IM sometimes even faster.
    I'm afraid that seems unlikely, considering I've personally tested it, and had others at work test it in front of me as well. Which email platform are you using?

As a former blackberry user, I'm not sure I wold need to rebut that. Those who like the LED find it's very important to them; almost a deal breaker even if a phone doesn't have it. Those who do not, don't.

The Bold has it's place.. as the iPhone is not for everyone.. I just need a phone without leaks and without an ancient OS as well as provide something more than just email and calls.
    I whole-heartedly agree with you.

I believe the Bold is more for the bald CEO who could care less about anything more than email and calls and iPhone is for everyone else (thus the millions sold in such a short period of time for one phone).
    Aside from the remark that CEO's have to be bald, or that MPB should be a matter of discussion as it applies to what phone you prefer, I completely agree with your statement (I have a full head of hair at 33, but then again I'm not a CEO, so maybe I wouldn't have any hair left if I was one; not that it would matter to me either way).

Thank you for the comments. I will continue to enjoy my 3gs, as you do.

--bb
    12-05-09 01:30 PM
    This is a great review, I agree with you on every note.
    12-05-09 01:36 PM
    i had the bold AND the bold 9700 and i find the iphone to be worlds funner and overall more enjoyable. like i actually WANT to use it, not just have it do what it can...does that make any sense?

and the iphone 3GS does not feel fragile AT ALL to me...
    12-05-09 01:46 PM
    Everyone is entitled their own opinion.

I've had my iPhone 3GS since launch date (June). I love it to death!!! I don't see myself using another smartphone unless Apple comes out with the 4th generation iPhone. It's built like a tank and quick as sh*t. I was a BB user for about 3 1/2 years prior. I recently tried the Bold 9700 and went right back to my iPhone. Nothing beats the Safari browser if you browse a lot on a smartphone. The touchscreen keyboard takes getting used to. Landscape mode works great. The iPhone does everything that I would want in a smartphone...phone, email, internet, iPod, apps, etc. The only things that I miss are multi-tasking, LED light and a few other minor things that the BB has, but not enough to sway me back to BB. Come on Apple, how hard can it be to add this stuff?

I highly recommend the iPhone 3GS
    12-05-09 02:00 PM
    and the iphone 3GS does not feel fragile AT ALL to me...
    It's not so much an issue of the IPhone (I think I'm going to get this response a lot from my review comment; in that I said it felt fragile).

Let me explain in better detail.

Any exposed screen, particularly a large one, is going to be at a high risk for breakage. This is increased by its thin frame and slick shell. I felt the exact same way about the bold.

Smart-phones are fragile in general; don't take it personally. All of them are susceptible to easy breakage, and rarely come with any good protection.

/Don't Jinx yourself. I have two friends that cracked their Iphone screens from waist high drops (and one that cracked their storm similarly). I would rather look dorky by having a holster mount, than take a valium every time I hand my Iphone to someone else, so they can check-it-out.
    12-05-09 02:09 PM

I've had my iPhone 3GS since launch date (June). I love it to death!!! I don't see myself using another smartphone unless Apple comes out with the 4th generation iPhone. It's built like a tank and quick as sh*t. I was a BB user for about 3 1/2 years prior. I recently tried the Bold 9700 and went right back to my iPhone. Nothing beats the Safari browser if you browse a lot on a smartphone. The touchscreen keyboard takes getting used to. Landscape mode works great. The iPhone does everything that I would want in a smartphone...phone, email, internet, iPod, apps, etc. The only things that I miss are multi-tasking, LED light and a few other minor things that the BB has, but not enough to sway me back to BB. Come on Apple, how hard can it be to add this stuff?

I have a feeling we havent seen a new 3.x OS or beta in a while because Apple has something up their sleeve for multitasking and other OS improvements they dont want to get out until they unveil it in March.

I agree though I got a 9700 and am going back, BB OS (even OS 5) still feels like a 1999 OS vs a new smartphone. I dont enjoy using the phone past when I really need to anymore to do anything past email and calls.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-05-09 at 02:13 PM.
    12-05-09 02:10 PM

The only things that I miss are multi-tasking, LED light and a few other minor things that the BB has, but not enough to sway me back to BB. Come on Apple, how hard can it be to add this stuff?

I agree. I wish they would add the LED (it would cost all of < 50 cents to manufacture, I'd guess), and multi-tasking/themes, without the need to jailbreak it.

Add an upgrade model to the choices, that has an optional slide out (wide style) qwerty keyboard which includes a larger battery, and it would basically be a micro-netbook, without breaking their market for the new pad.
    12-05-09 02:25 PM
    Ive used both and I can agree with many.

I can:

- Type much faster and accurate on a Bold
    - Much much better battery life on the Bold
    - Reception is better on a BB
    - Higher resloution on BB
    - Having profiles - you really need that Apple

But have to disagree on IPhone feeling cheap. the iphone is well built. It also does have the superior browser and the best touchscreen on the market. Sorry Storm users. They both have pluses and minuses. Dont really agree with some statements of others here torching the OP's opinion. One thing I dont get is, how does a iPhone have a much larger display than a BB but have less pixels? I cant figure than one out still.

Since both devices dont satisfy me completely, I choose to own the Bold and the iPhone to have best of both worlds.
    12-05-09 02:30 PM
    Oh yeah, Apple, don't forget to throw in a better battery. I can easily go all day (my useage day is usually 7:30am-8:30pm) on a full charge and that's with heavy internet use, moderate emailing, light phone calling and light multi-media and apps. If I need to head out of the house early or I am out late, I usually plug it for a bit during the day for some extra juice. No complaints in the battery category for me I guess.
    12-05-09 02:40 PM
    I cant say the resolution is a big deal, the iphone screen is still plenty crisp for videos. Id much rather watch video, look at pictures, or surf the web on a 3.5" 320x480 then a 2.4" 480x360. I dont find Half-VGA resolution that bad and there are still very few US (on carriers not import) smartphones with full VGA/WVGA- Touch Pro 2/Diamond 2 and Droid mainly, and those are all much newer to the market than the 3GS.

On the 9700 with the top and bottom movie bars (widescreen) its like watching a 2 postage stamps side by side move, not enjoyable for video or viewing pictures; and dont notice any huge differences since the screen is so dang small the extra 40 pixels doesnt do much for it. Maybe a tad crisper looking, but that 1.1" diagonal difference really is noticeable. The Bold 9000 screen was the smallest I can deal with at 2.6"

I dont find profiles a big deal either, theres the hard ringer switch. Either you want it to ring or silent/vibrate. Ive found setting all the profile settings are more than a pain then its worth really with so many settings to go through for each little function/app.

Typing is subjective, so thats not going to win votes on either side. I find typing almost as fast on the iphone since the 9700 keyboard has been shrunk down from the 9000.

Reception is a toss up too, depends on your area.

Battery life, no debate its better on the BB but the 9700 also wont do 7.2 (which is coming in the first round here to Miami), and generally web pages load slower going through RIM servers or just the rendering speed of the hardware. So that battery saving compressed data also hurts sometimes, and you have to do that stupid get images on HTML email or get more for attachments instead of just being there.

But comparing a 2.4" non-touchscreen to a 3.5" touchscreen for battery life just isnt a fair comparison because theyre 2 totally different types of phones and screens (size, components needed to be run, and technology)

homescreen-wise there are apps like Intelliscreen which give a very feature filled lockscreen with anything you could want to know, or jailbreak alternatives like lockcalendar or lickinfo for free (or small cost). Dont find it any worse then BB homescreen which you need to have programming skill just to make a decent homescreen with your calendar on it. The stock ones have 6 icons and no other info. So either phone youll need something 3rd party (or 3rd party made really) to fill the gap.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-05-09 at 03:19 PM.
    12-05-09 02:56 PM
    The iPhone in no way feels cheap. I can honestly say that the BBs as of late (Storm 1 and so on) feel much cheaper. The screen is glass. It is much more sturdy than a plastic screen, and the iPhone and Storm I believe are the only 2 touchscreens that are glass. The back is plastic but is feels great in hand, and nothing creaks.

Email is instant for me on my iPhone. I use Gmail and have it set up accordingly. It's push and it is instant.

People don't understand why the battery on the iPhone isn't "GREAT". You have to realize you are using a touchscreen device. It is providing power to a 3.5' screen. This screen is your only way of navigating and operating the device. My iPhone lasts me all day and I charge it every night. No smartphone is designed to go past one day on a charge, it's just a bonus if it can. Especially the iPhone which is a media powerhouse.

Typing on the iPhone is an acquired skill. I type faster on the iPhone than any other phone I have used. No comparison. I even did a speed test writing out a paragraph on my 9000 and then wrote the same paragraph on my iPhone. I completed the paragraph on my iPhone almost 15 seconds faster. That is a lot of time, and I type real fast on my BBs. Not having to physically push down makes a huge difference.

I have NEVER hit the wrong app on my iPhone. I really don't see how that is possible. The apps are spaced out on your springboard, and it is really organized. Unless I'm not sober I can't see this happening. I'm sorry you had this problem, but I have never heard this complaint before. Especially since the iPhone is the most accurate and best capacitive touchscreen on the market.

Now I do agree with you on the LED. I wish the iPhone had one, but it doesn't and I knew that before I purchased the device. It sucks, but you get use to it. I also agree with call quality. My iPhone has better call quality than the 9000, but can't compare to my 9700. My iPhone does get the occasional dropped call, but never on my BBs (besides a few times on my 9000). This is because of AT&Ts network though, as it is truly flooded with iPhone users.

The iPhone and Bold (9000,9700) are great devices. Both are made for different people, and if your like me you fall in between so you must own both (or all 3).
    Last edited by avt123; 12-05-09 at 03:26 PM.
    12-05-09 03:20 PM

Not to go on but all and all the iPhone is not for everyone but I do use it for business which works excellent for me. The battery for my phone lasts all day with average use.

OP made a personal choice thats all. Don't feel so threatened
    Last edited by RetroAndreas; 12-06-09 at 08:41 AM.
    12-06-09 08:39 AM
    I will disagree strongly with the OP on almost every point he made. I'm not going to debate them, because alot of them are personal problems (the typing, the fragile feel, the text clarity). These are not problems at all.

Also, I'd love to hear how long the OP used the iPhone for. Let me guess.... a few days?
    12-06-09 12:07 PM
    I will disagree strongly with the OP on almost every point he made. I'm not going to debate them, because alot of them are personal problems (the typing, the fragile feel, the text clarity). These are not problems at all.

Also, I'd love to hear how long the OP used the iPhone for. Let me guess.... a few days?
    That was the least constructive post here; and may very well be the least constructive post forum wide all day. Stewie makes a fine avatar, for your representation.

Sadly, I'm not that shocked at how anus-hurt so many fanboi's are, even though my review was quite positive.

I'm still using the Iphone 3gs, and I like it very much. My review was very fair, and without prejudice. I think the Iphone is an excellent phone, in many ways. Of course, no phone is perfect.

I will still agree that when people refer to it as a "toy", as contrasted with a blackberry, it's a bit of a stretch but it's a reasonable term to use.

I wonder if my reading comprehension will diminish, the more I use my Iphone, or if it's primarily the user base being extremely defensive. It doesn't seem that many readers grasped that fragile =/ cheap. I even followed up with a second post to clarify that, but I'm probably the only one that read it.

Basically every fault I listed in my review, I stated could be circumvented, and yet it seems no one bothered to read past the first three or four words of any given sentence.

I apologize for sharing my non-biased views, and offending the Iphone community, that I have recently joined (no one will have read the last part of that sentence anyways, and will continue to assume I'm back using a blackberry, and have resorted to using my 3gs as a coaster).

/May you all keep your password defaulted to Alpine, and please continue to donate to all fart-app developers.
    Last edited by bladebarrier; 12-06-09 at 01:38 PM. Reason: you can't say rear end politely?
    12-06-09 01:37 PM
    In the end everyone is going to have their own opinion and preference. He's sharing his thoughts on it and you can agree or disagree, it's just his opinion and hes giving information for future/prospect buyers. When I look for reviews of phones I look for what people don't about it before they start to praise it because theres always those people who love it for the wrong reasons.
    12-06-09 01:48 PM
    OP made a personal choice thats all. Don't feel so threatened
    So did I... I'm not by any means.

Much of the iPhone experience really depends on where you live. I live in SW Florida where I receive FAST excellent AT&T 3G service where as Verizon struggles to even have service in some parts.

I receive instant push e-mail, texts, notifications etc.. Why the OP has certain issues would probably be more due to AT&T and their service or lack thereof more than anything else as the iPhone is a bandwidth hog and BB isn't.

In the end it is just user preference of which it looks like BB is more for the OP which is perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 12-15-09 at 10:49 AM.
    12-07-09 08:43 AM
    I've been using Blackberry for over 4+ years and switching to the iPhone 3GS gave me a better-than-expected experience in smartphone use. I was skeptical at first, I love Blackberry and I check this site on a regular basis.

The Safari browser is the best feature of the phone IMO, and everything just works with the phone. No messing with BETA software or HYBRIDS just to make things run smooth and error-less. Oh and AppleCare is $69+tax, not just $60.

Before I used to carry an iPod Touch with my bold 9000, now I just have to worry about one device.

Every smartphone has its strengths and weaknesses; to each their own.
    12-07-09 10:24 AM
    I too was a BB user for 4 years. I jumped ship because of the storm.

There are things both phones do well. I did not know if I was going to like the iphone, but I was suprised. Im glad I made the switch.

I love carrying one device that does everything. The OP has his points, but they are his opinions. You either share the same ones or you dont. No need to argue about them. Besides, its only a phone.
    12-07-09 04:50 PM
    Why does everyone get so offended when someone has an opinion that differs from theirs, like he's insulting your family or something? After all, it's only a phone. He simply stated that the iphone felt fragile to him, which means that without a case, you're completely screwed if you drop it onto anything but carpet. I don't think this can even be disputed, but by all means, take the case off and drop it from waist height onto concrete. If the screen doesn't shatter into 1,000 pieces, I'll apologize. He mentioned nothing about the quality of the device being cheap, which it's clearly not. Some people like berry's for the physical keyboard, excellent email, and the led indicator light. If none of these are a concern, then get an iphone, and no one will question your decision. Lighten up guys, you'll never make it through life if you worry about what phone a complete stranger on a forum carries.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 06:19 AM
    He simply stated that the iphone felt fragile to him, which means that without a case, you're completely screwed if you drop it onto anything but carpet. I don't think this can even be disputed, but by all means, take the case off and drop it from waist height onto concrete. If the screen doesn't shatter into 1,000 pieces, I'll apologize.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Um.. I have dropped it ear height as well as kicked across hard flooring (VCT type) all in the same event. Picked it up.. reinserted the sim card and the phone was absolutely fine . It's apparent you haven't owned an iPhone, if you have you must have the China copy. No case..sorry.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 12-08-09 at 07:43 AM.
    12-08-09 07:38 AM
    Um.. I have dropped it ear height as well as kicked across hard flooring (VCT type) all in the same event. Picked it up.. reinserted the sim card and the phone was absolutely fine . It's apparent you haven't owned an iPhone, if you have you must have the China copy. No case..sorry.
    Ok so Let me get this straight. Just because YOU experienced this means EVERYBODY would have had the same outcome? I have been around people that have dropped the iphone from chest level and cracked the screen. I own and iphone, and although it doesnt feel fragile to me, doesnt mean everyone feels the same way. Im glad your phone is OK after that, but im sure there are thousands of people out there who dropped there iphone like that and did some serious damage.

Not having all the information hasnt stopped you from having an opinion.
    12-08-09 01:00 PM
    Ok so Let me get this straight. Just because YOU experienced this means EVERYBODY would have had the same outcome? I have been around people that have dropped the iphone from chest level and cracked the screen. I own and iphone, and although it doesnt feel fragile to me, doesnt mean everyone feels the same way. Im glad your phone is OK after that, but im sure there are thousands of people out there who dropped there iphone like that and did some serious damage.

Not having all the information hasnt stopped you from having an opinion.
    My point wasn't EVERYBODY but MY personal experience. Did I say EVERYBODY? Where? It is YOU who has made that *** U ME tion not me. The iPhone is a very durable phone, more so than any BB or any other phone I have ever own (that is not to say BB's aren't of decent quality just not iPhone quality). Don't get all **** hurt on me.. most posts here are of personal opinions and experiences just like the OP. I was recounting MY experience, also when I stated "no case" I mean the phone didn't have a case not that the poster didn't have an argument. I think we are starting to get somewhat off topic though.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 12-08-09 at 01:11 PM.
    12-08-09 01:05 PM
    Entertainment72 was giving HIS experience, I dont know why you felt the need to jump his junk. The person he was responding to had made a GENERAL, BLANKET statement that if you drop it itll break, which just isnt true, so the rebuttal was a personal experience where it DIDNT break. This WHOLE THREAD is based on SUBJECTIVE, PERSONAL OPINIONS. Now a personal opinion response isnt good enough?

Personal opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one.

Its a phone, if you dont like it no one is forcing you to post here about it!! I have no clue why people feel some inherent need to come to this subforum specifically to bash on it or just be negative, negative, negative and put one little good spin on it so they dont look like trolls. Im more than positive no one's personal feelings are hurt, but its just ANNOYING time after time to read the same rehashed arguments over and over and over- opinion, opinion, opinion.

If you put your foot on the screen right now and broke it I could care less, if 2 million people did it I could care less. People use the phone because THEY like it, not what others say about it. I dont mean to use this thread as a rant, but these personal opinions are getting out of control now and just cause fights because of clashing of opinions. There's already about 1.5 million reviews out there that go over every little aspect of every difference between every phone vs iphone out there after 2.5 years on the market. And everyone here could make their own review thread and have completely different points. I just dont see the whole point in it to getting to what goal exactly.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-08-09 at 01:49 PM.
    12-08-09 01:28 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD