When I buy a phone whether it is an iPhone or a BB I would like to know that each successive phone is better then the phone I previously had by a lot, not just a minor upgrade.
    Exactly. And if the upgrade isn't enough, you don't buy. Obviously, if people are buying the device, they are satisfied with its features.

I don't have the disposable income to get a phone every 6 -8 month because that same phone now comes out with some "tweaks" albeit useful tweaks.
    This would be a fine argument against Android, which seemingly has a new "flagship" device every month. But there's one iPhone a year.

If you consider that building a device people want, good on you. I consider that a rip off.
    How is it a rip off? No one is forced to buy. No one is contracted to purchase these devices. Consumers aren't locked into purchasing agreements which require them to automatically purchase the most recent hardware. Your argument doesn't make any sense at all.

I said my colleague's iPhone 3 couldn't open jpegs for whatever reason and she wasn't the only person not able to do that with an iPhone 3 in our company. I was there when I sent her the jpeg and she couldn't open it on her phone, so I'm not making it up.
    I never said you were; I just noted that it wasn't something I'd heard before, and that iOS has supported pdf and JPEG viewing from its inception.

If the iOS controls the ability of the phone to open jPegs without downloading an app for it, then obviously there is an issue with the iOS. Does that make it complicated? No. It just makes it an issue.
    It's a pretty rare issue; I haven't heard anyone else complain about an iPhone that couldn't open JPEGs or pdfs. If you're offended that I haven't heard claims like yours from anyone else, that's a you problem.
    06-04-11 11:07 PM
    There's a difference between building a device that people want to buy, or building a mediocre device and then marketing the heck out of it until you can brainwash people into thinking that it's magical.
    My bad. I didn't realize we were talking about the PlayBook. Give it time. . . it's getting better.
    06-04-11 11:11 PM
    My bad. I didn't realize we were talking about the PlayBook. Give it time. . . it's getting better.
    We're not. But if you really want to talk tablets, let's talk about the iPod XL (iPad). There's one of the biggest scams ever. Just an oversized iPod but Steve Jobs is able to convince people that it is a life changer.
    06-04-11 11:37 PM
    We're not. But if you really want to talk tablets, let's talk about the iPod XL (iPad). There's one of the biggest scams ever. Just an oversized iPod but Steve Jobs is able to convince people that it is a life changer.
    Yup. I guess he's that good. Seriously though, if you had just told me we were switching over to discussing the PlayBook, it would've saved us both a lot of time. We're on the same page now. Mediocre, brainwash, marketing. Got it.
    06-04-11 11:45 PM
    Exactly. And if the upgrade isn't enough, you don't buy. Obviously, if people are buying the device, they are satisfied with its features.

This would be a fine argument against Android, which seemingly has a new "flagship" device every month. But there's one iPhone a year.

How is it a rip off? No one is forced to buy. No one is contracted to purchase these devices. Consumers aren't locked into purchasing agreements which require them to automatically purchase the most recent hardware. Your argument doesn't make any sense at all.

I never said you were; I just noted that it wasn't something I'd heard before, and that iOS has supported pdf and JPEG viewing from its inception.

It's a pretty rare issue; I haven't heard anyone else complain about an iPhone that couldn't open JPEGs or pdfs. If you're offended that I haven't heard claims like yours from anyone else, that's a you problem.
    iPhone 4 came out in February of this year I believe and the iPhone 4S is slated for Fall. Hardly a year.

Nobody is force to buy, but you renew it on contract and then another one comes out 8 months later that is supposed to be doing something it should have been doing earlier on you would feel peeved. Well maybe not you, but I would.

For that reason I wouldn't be buying an iPhone knowing that they are going to pop one out every 8 months.

Android may not be exempt from it, but Android has many, many phone styles/manufacturer so it's a moot point. Same platform, different phone manufacturer.

Apple puts out a phone every 8 months and then markets it's mediocrity as cutting edge. So they have face time on their phones but with bad cameras, hmm... that's remarkably useful. I'm sure Steve Jobs is probably telling people they don't need to take pictures with their phone.

Perhaps it may not have been something you weren't aware of and you believe/know that iOS supposedly supports jpegs or PDFs from inception but it doesn't support it on two phones... they can't be the only two phones in the universe that have this problem.
    06-05-11 12:44 AM
    iPhone 4 came out in February of this year I believe and the iPhone 4S is slated for Fall. Hardly a year.
    Incorrect. iPhone 4 came out last June all around the world. Verizon just got it in Feb. Huge difference.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-05-11 at 01:40 PM.
    06-05-11 01:37 PM
    We're not. But if you really want to talk tablets, let's talk about the iPod XL (iPad). There's one of the biggest scams ever.
    But I bet you'll be just fine with the playbook and a blackberry smartphone both running QNX

Do yourself a favor and grab an iPad and you would see it's more than just a "big iPod". Just because the homescreens are basically just app launching, the one major thing that make it more than just a big iPod are the apps. A regardless of what people say, apps are the things that make tablet devices. People don't buy them just to check email.

You guys are so in denial about iOS, almost as much RIM was in 2007. It's certainly not perfect but it's the most polished mobile platform out there right now with tons of support from the company that makes it and developers. Like it or not, that's the truth.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-05-11 at 01:42 PM.
    06-05-11 01:40 PM
    How did this thread go from BlackBerry won't have iphone 4S competiton on Sprint? to comparison of tablets????
    06-05-11 01:52 PM
    LOL I dunno, I'm just going by my original post of the Sprint rep saying Sprint wasn't getting the iphone 4S, which I think is pretty odd?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-11 03:00 PM
    Meh.
    The iPhone 4S is just a refresh that's been delayed 6 months past Apple's normal upgrade cycle.
    Apple is running out of "magical" ideas. iOS is showing it's age.
    Almost every RIM device since 2008 has been a refresh. What is your point?
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    06-05-11 05:03 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD